Tapestry of Nations

yensidtlaw

Original Poster
I know it was a while back.. but why did Epcot discontinue Tapestry of Nations? It was my favorite parade and always got me super pumped and in the mood for Illuminations. I'm sure with the economy right now that Epcot is not about to introduce a new parade... however, has anyone heard of any plans for another parade in Epcot's near-or distant-future?

Rob562

There were two main reasons that I'm aware of:

1) It was horrible for Guest traffic flow in World Showcase. For Guests that were just trying to make their way along the parade route without stopping to watch the parade, it was a nightmare.

2) It was killing the CM performers. Those puppets caused many a strained back, and were subject to wind gusts that could knock the performer down. Parade performances were canceled on many occasions because the wind was too strong. I've heard the France/UK bridges were particularly dangerous for the performers.

But that being said, I agree that from a Guest perspective it was an awesome parade (at least when it was Nations and not Dreams). Great overall theme, catchy soundtrack, and it just made you smile.

There was really nothing better than seeing the parade after dark in the early days when they were still running all three segments around World Shocase...
It's after sunset, you get to the point in the parade where the floats are stretched out all around the Promenade, the lights go out, the puppets glow with their own internal lights, the pavilion strobe lights start blinking and the mirror balls on top of the percussion units send swirling lights all over the audience. And then the music swells to the point where the lights and torches come back on and everyone starts singing again... [...CHILLS...and a little tear...]

-Rob

CAPTAIN HOOK

2) It was killing the CM performers. Those puppets caused many a strained back, and were subject to wind gusts that could knock the performer down. Parade performances were canceled on many occasions because the wind was too strong. I've heard the France/UK bridges were particularly dangerous for the performers.

Did it actually go all around The World Showcase ?? My memories are of it only performing from around the USA along the "west" side down to Morocco :shrug:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Did it actually go all around The World Showcase ?? My memories are of it only performing from around the USA along the "west" side down to Morocco :shrug:

It used to come out from the gates near that Millenium tent and ended up at Mexico??. Im sure it was shortened in Tapestry of Dreams days

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I agree with Rob on both the CM perspective and that of the guest experience in viewing it.

The parade in it's various iterations moved in two directions when there were multiple parades per day (starting where the previous parade finished).

I have said it before on these boards, but Tapestry of Nations was my all-time favorite parade at the World. I even liked Tapestry of Dreams! One of my favorite memories is of a night when my DH and I left the kids at the Neverland Club and had dinner alone in Japan. We sat near windows looking over the parade. It was spectacular!

Rob562

In its original form, Tapestry of Nations was made up of three identical sets of puppets and percussion units. There were four gates involved: UK/Canada, Mexico/Norway and two somewhere in the middle (I'm a bit hazy, but I think they were the gates near Morocco and Germany). The only pavilions that you couldn't see ToN in were Mexico and Canada.

The same music would play throughout World Showcase, and each segment would emerge from backstage at the same time and head in the same direction around the Promenade. (So if you were near the far gate where the parade was heading toward you, you might be sitting there for a few minutes with music playing but not seeing anything for a few minutes) At the peak moment of the parade when the lights go out, the puppets and floats would be stretched all around the Promenade from the Mexico/Norway gate to the UK/Canada gate, so ALL of World Showcase would go dark simultaneously and everything would sparkle and strobe together.

When the lights came up and the parade resumed moving, they exited at the next gate (where the previous segment had just finished coming out) So you could actually sit right by the middle two gates and see the parade twice, once as one segment came out of that gate, and again as the next segment was exiting out that gate.
Each subsequent performance would then reverse direction, so the first performance went clockwise, second counter-clockwise, etc.

Over time, they eliminated segments of the parade so that when Tapestry of Dreams ended, they were only running one of the parade segments. In my opinion, as soon as they started removing segments the parade lost something because then only the parts of World Showcase where the parade was running went dark, so you lost the impact of all of the countries uniting in one parade.

-Rob

yensidtlaw

Original Poster
wow, Rob you sound like a genius, but anyways sooooo.. nobody has heard of any future plans for another parade?

Rob562

I haven't heard anything about a new parade. I think the traffic issues in World Showcase would sink just about any new attempts at anything on a grand scale like Tapestry.

After doing some digging, and watching the few videos of ToN on YouTube, I found this video on Google Video:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8097388846876116016

The video quality is less than great, but it gives the best view of what the parade was for someone watching it live.

For that "CHILLS" moment, fast-forward to about the 17:00 mark where the lights go out, the pavilion strobes and RPU mirrorballs start sparkling. (Heck, the audience spontaneously breaks out into applause!)

The person taping the parade was stationed by the Germany gate. The blackout comes just as the last puppet performer of the Germany-to-Mexico segment has emerged from the gate and is heading toward Mexico. When the lights come back up, you can see that the center segment's Sage of Time is right there having just completed his segment of the parade route.

One other thing to note throughout the ending portion is that the Sage of Time stays there at the end point of the parade until he says his final line. As each of the puppets pass him on their way offstage, they bow to him.

Boy, do I miss ToN... :cry:

-Rob

WDW Monorail

I wouldn't suggest getting him started on the subject. Long story short, he hated it (or at least hated being in it).:animwink:

Oh yes, I am aware of his unfortunate experiences with the parade, and the company.
I just wanted to know if he actually disliked the parade itself or his role, and the role of others in it. I am sure he disliked the way it was run.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
:wave:

Let me ask you, do you miss the parade, or would you rather have seen it run differently or not at all?

I liked the parade. I would have preferred it had been run differently, from a management and safety standpoint. The routes were fine.

Couldn't resist stopping in for a Tapestry discussion?

You know me

I wouldn't suggest getting him started on the subject. Long story short, he hated it (or at least hated being in it).:animwink:

Meh... I'm in a good mood

Oh yes, I am aware of his unfortunate experiences with the parade, and the company.
I just wanted to know if he actually disliked the parade itself or his role, and the role of others in it. I am sure he disliked the way it was run.

I liked the parade, I liked my role in it. I didn't like getting hurt, didn't like seeing others get hurt, and didn't like management's response to our injuries.

sarabi

I know people got hurt in that parade, which is sad, but I wish they could've found a way to run it differently so that people wouldn't get hurt. It was the most amazing parade I've ever seen, frankly, and I always got choked up when I heard the music.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom