Tangled Trailer

Demeter Tess

My immediate thoughts were those of shock and outrage. This trailer certainly does not depict the quality that I expect of Disney features, particularly under John Lasseter's watchful eye. (Say what you will, I have nothing but love for the man.) After ruminating over it for a few days, I think (AND HOPE!) that this is a ploy to grab the attention of youngsters and the Dreamworks crowd early on.

erasure fan1

It looks like it might be fun, but it also looks very Shrek-like. The characters, their mannerisms, the action, the soundtrack all look like they came from the same computers and animators that worked on Shrek. I don't know if that's the look they were trying for, but I'm a little confused as to why they've done it like this, unless they are actually trying to catch some of Shrek's audience.
Hey and maybe they make fun of dreamworks through the film as well, so then it will be very shrek-like.:lookaroun

The trailer does not impress me at all. But then again most of the pixar trailers dont impress me either. The difference is that pixar has an exceptional track record for making really good movies. Disney animation, not even close, so for now my hopes are not really all that high. I will agree, at least from what I see in the trailer, it does have a dreamworks feel rather than a Disney feel to it.

Bairstow

Bairstow

BrerFrog

Original Poster
Great quote...and better picture. :lol:

That second link says it all. All they're saying with this title change is "This is a movie boys can watch! Seriously!" Blegh.

I don't like the movie's title either. The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Snow White and a few others didn't need a name change to be succesful and attract a male audience.

The title is the least important part of the movie, though.

disneysroyal411

I don't like the movie's title either. The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Snow White and a few others didn't need a name change to be succesful and attract a male audience.

The title is the least important part of the movie, though.

Those movies were at a different time though. It's hard for a company to appease to all crowds through some movies. Look at Shrek 1. They snuck a princess type of movie with an action kind of movie into one. That's what Disney is trying to do now and we all may end up liking it or not. I think you all need to calm down and just wait for the movie to calm down. Do it with me now, one deep breath after another.

Wilt Dasney

I think you all need to calm down and just wait for the movie to calm down. Do it with me now, one deep breath after another.
Oh, I absolutely intend to judge the movie on its own merits. It might be a masterpiece, or at least a very good picture. That doesn't mean we can't criticize such a blatant pander in the decision behind what to call the movie. They're separate issues, after all. :D

Disneyfanman

You know, I can't say that I have ever liked the very first trailer of WDFA or Pixar upcoming films. I don't know why, but they seem to be challenged. I almost always like each trailer better than the one before, and I would bet the same here. I am getting a feeling however that this is going to be like a cross between Cinderella and The Emperors New Groove. In other words wacky romantic. I never think these hybrid stories do very well so I hope it's more than that.

As for the title, Disney Research apparently showed that some folks didn't go to see TPATF due to the marketing of the film, including the title. So now this new film is called Tangled? If they think it will draw a bigger audience then so be it. I wouldn't think that it would make any difference really, but they are smarter than I am for sure!

As for the box office? The films that have really blown the top of the Box Office have never been princess films. I do think that there is a limit to how much they can do in business. That's the real problem.

TPATF did solid box office. The problem was Disney's expectations and how much it freakin' cost to make and market. A title change for Tangled isn't going to solve that.

disneysroyal411

Know what Pixar trailer I didn't like. Cars. Do you remember that first one with Mater watching the bees and then Lightning McQueen ran into them or something? I didn't want to see the movie from that, now, Cars is one of my favorite movies.:xmas:

ABigBrassBand

I really despise how they used the phrase "Like, forever". Really immature on Disney's part, can't they appeal to all audiences? This being their 50th animated feature and all, its not a good way to celebrate. My hopes for this movie dropped :(

To: Disneysroyal411:

Here is my issue with Bolt. I'm not sure that there are many others on this board who harbor ill will towards this film (Bolt) as I do for these same reasons.

Bolt was originally titled "American Dog" and was created from scratch by Chris Sanders who is responsible for Lilo & Stitch (& How To Train Your Dragon). American Dog was another film that I followed very closely and was excited to see another completely original story come out of Disney, while also enjoying Sanders character development style. The story is not all that different than Bolt. It was about a dog who was a TV star and got lost in the desert. He befriends a cat and a radioactive hampster who are both lost and searching for a home.

American Dog was well reported on many animation web-sites to have major story issues and after the Disney/Pixar merger, Lasseter gave Sanders a list of things to change to possibly help the story forward. Sanders, according to most sources, did not implement any of the changes and was thus removed from his own project. All of the artwork and character development was scrapped, the story reworked and pushed very rapidly into theatres (18 months - it usually takes 4 years).

Sanders left Disney and went to Dreamworks and has since given them probably their second most successful animated film - How To Train Your Dragon. A few pieces of the development artwork can still be found by Googling "American Dog". I had seen others and was so excited about this movie.

When Sanders was removed and the designs changed I decided that I would never, ever, ever, never, ever....ever see that movie.

It's a matter now of what it could have been compared to what it was. I worry that this is going to happen with Rapunzel as well. The software, as I stated, for Rapunzel was going to be ground breaking and the trailer shows none of that technology. This link is to a very short clip that Disney released of the softwares capabilities....many people thought it was hand drawn animation, it wasn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRO6EHhPr5g

BrerFrog

Original Poster
Those movies were at a different time though. It's hard for a company to appease to all crowds through some movies. Look at Shrek 1. They snuck a princess type of movie with an action kind of movie into one. That's what Disney is trying to do now and we all may end up liking it or not. I think you all need to calm down and just wait for the movie to calm down. Do it with me now, one deep breath after another.

I am very calm. I am not saying the movie will be terrible, I am just saying I did not like the trailer. I will certainly be there on the opening day to watch it and judge the whole work.

To: Disneysroyal411:
It's a matter now of what it could have been compared to what it was. I worry that this is going to happen with Rapunzel as well. The software, as I stated, for Rapunzel was going to be ground breaking and the trailer shows none of that technology. This link is to a very short clip that Disney released of the softwares capabilities....many people thought it was hand drawn animation, it wasn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRO6EHhPr5g

What happened to that software? Why Disney decided not to go for it when producing the movie?

disneysroyal411

Yes the original pictures shown of the movie did look nice, I wonder if with the software they could send it through the system and it did it. :shrug:

I will see it, and I saw Bolt, which was okay with some funny moments and cute characters. O well let's see what we get and hope it's good, just like we've been doing since Fantasy Forest and AUA.

I wish I knew what happend to the software...for some reason they chose not to use it. The characters in the new trailer are certainly not rendered through that software, they appear to be rendered off of whatever 3D program they are using.....which I think is rather stale and boring. It makes it look like almost every other 3D movie out there...whether it's Dreamworks, Disney or any other companies cartoons.

I still hope that this movie will be good...I know it has had many changes, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I've waited long enough for this film that I will definitely see it when it comes out, but my expectations have gone from being very high....to very low.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom