Talking to the animals not welcome at AK

ConstanceIrene

Original Poster
I just returned from my annual visit to WDW. The first park I wanted to hit was Animal Kingdom as it's my favorite. There are two beautiful blue parrots along the walk to Discovery Island and I stopped to see them. I looked at them and said in my best parrot voice, "Hello, hello". Well, apparently, this is not allowed at AK. A cast member informed my daughter, loudly enough that I could hear her, that talking to the animals is not done at AK. I asked her if she was trying to tell me that I wasn't allowed to say hello to the birds. Well, that's exactly what she was telling me!

According to this cast member, talking to the birds is a form of harrassment. Has this happened to any other guests at AK?

ConstanceIrene

Original Poster
As odd or silly as it may sound, she was dead serious. She told me that they're trying to maintain the natural environment for the birds. I reminded her that the birds are on display in a park in Florida!

I told her that I had specifically come straight to AK as it's my favorite park and she had totally spoiled my morning she simply said, "I'm sorry you feel that way".

The thing that bothers me is that when I saw the birds last year, I did the same thing, nobody stopped me and the birds seemed to like the verbal interaction. They were bopping their heads and coming closer on their perchs. All I ever said to them was "Hello" or "Pretty Bird". I never reached out to them or did anything to encroach on their space.

Again, anybody else get a lecture from a cast member for saying "Hi" to a bird at AK?

EPCOT.nut

No one stopped me when I talked to this parrott....

Attachments

• WDW 223.jpg
    WDW 223.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 62

AllThatsJoey

Kooky

Less than a year ago my wife and I were talking to the same birds with a cast member who was there to feed them. The cast member didn't mind at all.

Maybe the birds used some sort of mind powers on the cast member because they wanted some peace and quiet.

LoriMistress

I just returned from my annual visit to WDW. The first park I wanted to hit was Animal Kingdom as it's my favorite. There are two beautiful blue parrots along the walk to Discovery Island and I stopped to see them. I looked at them and said in my best parrot voice, "Hello, hello". Well, apparently, this is not allowed at AK. A cast member informed my daughter, loudly enough that I could hear her, that talking to the animals is not done at AK. I asked her if she was trying to tell me that I wasn't allowed to say hello to the birds. Well, that's exactly what she was telling me!

According to this cast member, talking to the birds is a form of harrassment. Has this happened to any other guests at AK?

The reason for this is because guests have a tendency to teach the parrots bad words. At one particular park (not Disney--obviously), there was a parrot that would say "f*** you" if you called it an "ugly bird." Plus, parrots in the wild don't normally speak English.

comics101

:lol: Wow. I've never heard that. If it's true, Disney's waaaaaay to worried about animal rights activists...

If you have her name maybe you should report her. I highly doubt you're not allowed to talk to a parrot!

never heard of that, maybe she was trying to be funny, but she sucked at it

:lol: :lol: :lol:

comics101

BINGO. It's nearly impossible to get birds to completely stop mimicking people, when it's swear words, then Disney would have to remove the bird for good.

Sorry for the double post, but I just read this. Saying it that way makes sense, and I kind of feel bad about what I posted in the one above this... Sorry.:(

DABIGCHEEZ

Sound silly to me. As I haven't seen it in a while... Don't they have talking parrots at Flights of Wonder?

Swear words is one thing ... but hello? C'mon.

Dagger

What everyone is saying makes sense, but I have to agree that it would probably bother me if a CM said that to me if it was anything but super polite. Hopefully it didn't bother you too much.

WDWEric

While I understand the part about swear words, why would the cast member yell at you for saying hello. you would think she would have yelled at you if you said a swear word to it.

ConstanceIrene

Original Poster
Sound silly to me. As I haven't seen it in a while... Don't they have talking parrots at Flights of Wonder?

Swear words is one thing ... but hello? C'mon.

I spoke with a cast member at Flights of Wonder. She was as perplexed as everyone else about this "rule". She told me that FOW is a separate company and the birds were not "Disney" birds. The more I delved into this, the more kooky I sounded so I let it go.

I asked at Guest Relations about when and why this rule came about. She couldn't help me either. I guess I'll have to write a letter and ask.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom