Talking Mickey and the 'Next-Gen' project - the future of your Disney park experience

Flight Safety

I have not been overly excited about this by itself. I grew up with Mickey hugging and using gestures etc., not carrying on a conversation with me.

When I look at the big picture, I see where this is going and how immense the level of magic will be on the most personal of levels. This has me optimistic about the future of in park interaction, and all of the many different directions this can go and all of the doors this is going to open. The only issue I see is the ammount of infastructure that needs to be in place to execute these goals properly. Without a nearly flawless execution, all of the R&D will go to waste and all the millions of possibilites that could come out of this and the RFID tech will go right out the window. Im very excited to see how this will tie into existing tech / attractions as well as come together with new tech (RFID) to create a cohesive magical experience that is so unique even the avid and frequent WDW guests will have a whole new experience. And not just in M&Gs but all throughout the parks. Just think of the possibilites!

ToTBellHop

I only hope that the immense amount of money going into this project does not sacrifice funding for classic Disney experiences. Brer Frog asking me if I enjoyed the churro I just had is cool and all, but if that upgrade means Splash continues on in disrepair, I don't think it was worth it.

So, cool technology, but what did they take that $2 billion from to fund it?

Theme Parkitect

I am VERY supportive of Disney's decisions. I think that the wristbands have so much potential for both the Company from a financial standpoint, as well as for the Guest with the level of magic. After seeing the survey shortly after our visit, it detailed what the bands might look like, with certain buttons, etc and even being able to personalize it before your visit! :sohappy: Although, I would say that with most people in my family having un-convential names, I'll be looking forward to see if Mickey can pronounce them all. :lol:

Flight Safety

I only hope that the immense amount of money going into this project does not sacrifice funding for classic Disney experiences. Brer Frog asking me if I enjoyed the churro I just had is cool and all, but if that upgrade means Splash continues on in disrepair, I don't think it was worth it.

LOL! :ROFLOL: I completely agree, however Im hoping that the $2,000,000,000.00 will come from their share of the nearly 3 billion the parks bring in each year and not a sacrifice from other aspects.

MickeyMind

I just dont see the need in spending all that money on this. I mean from the company's perspective it will be perfect, you can track your guests, and see what they've done or what they're doing. But from a guest's perspective, I'm not going to spend another $1500 on a trip just because mickey will say my name or something like that.

Give me some new rides and I will be back to spend that $1500.. Take me to an immersive world only disney can take me to and I will spend that amount of money on a return trip.

COProgressFan

My concern as well. The pricetag for nextgen is rumored to be astronomical. Can you imagine what types of improvements in terms of new rides and shows WDW could be getting for a billion dollars?

NoChesterHester

My concern as well. The pricetag for nextgen is rumored to be astronomical. Can you imagine what types of improvements in terms of new rides and shows WDW could be getting for a billion dollars?

There will always be more rides and shows. This brings the new game changer. All theme parks do new rides and shows. This is an effort to further separate themselves from their competition.

Once the infastructure is in place (hardware and software) it can really enhance future additions without additional effort. Future rides and shows will be better because of this initial outlay.

MarkTwain

My thoughts exactly.

BelleofDE

My husband is super excited about the possibility of wristbands and information being shared that way. He has contributed lots of information to these forums about the prospects of it. Me, not so much. I'm worried about privacy concerns of CM shouting out my daughter's name, birthday, and where we are staying during our trip. And how can they protect our information from scammers who will figure out how to get our info off the wristband and then use it for their own profit?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
My husband is super excited about the possibility of wristbands and information being shared that way. He has contributed lots of information to these forums about the prospects of it. Me, not so much. I'm worried about privacy concerns of CM shouting out my daughter's name, birthday, and where we are staying during our trip. And how can they protect our information from scammers who will figure out how to get our info off the wristband and then use it for their own profit?

The wristband only stores an identifier which is then read by one of the receivers in the park. The computer system then retrieves the information from the Disney internal computer system. None of the personal info is actually stored on the bracelet itself.

The system will also only know about information that you supply to it, and I'm sure there will be a method of opting out altogether.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom