Talk to me about Pros and Cons of Resale/ How many points would we need.

correcaminos

Thank you! I couldnt find thisssss.

Update. were talking about it now, and my wife really likes old key west. and in econd was saratoga springs. She thinks Old Key west feels less hotelish, and more homey.
Huge OKW fan here. More than SSR honestly (sorry lovers of SSR, I don't like the long hallways and old theme). Both are great use of points though. We have I think a full week at an OKW GV in June next year for under 400 points I think....

Mainahman

Original Poster
Huge OKW fan here. More than SSR honestly (sorry lovers of SSR, I don't like the long hallways and old theme). Both are great use of points though. We have I think a full week at an OKW GV in June next year for under 400 points I think....
The only thing i am struggling with is the 2042 expiration year. Current plan is to buy a 150-160 point resale contract. We can pay this off in a couple years. once thats done, we will by another 100 point contract. This gives us 2 home resorts etc, as long as we stay in the same use year etc. Were taking so many notes, and watching so many DVC videos on youtube. We must learn all before we jump, but it seems like a great idea, just trying to make sure we make the right purchase.

Mainahman

Original Poster
We watched videos of SSR last night, and these exact things were turn offs for us too, and the kitchen setup was odd.... we would of only considered buying there for value, and longer contract.

correcaminos

The only thing i am struggling with is the 2042 expiration year. Current plan is to buy a 150-160 point resale contract. We can pay this off in a couple years. once thats done, we will by another 100 point contract. This gives us 2 home resorts etc, as long as we stay in the same use year etc. Were taking so many notes, and watching so many DVC videos on youtube. We must learn all before we jump, but it seems like a great idea, just trying to make sure we make the right purchase.
There are some 2057 contracts out there. Direct will sell it that way too. But yes, that is harder. For us we'll be 65 in 2042 so OKW isn't a huge thing for us that year. As longtime owner, buy where you would want to stay the most, or at least super happy if that's all you can book. Especially now, as booking may get harder in the future with extra points floating around.

The only thing SSR has for us is the new refurb has murphy beds instead of sofas so that could more easily be used for our shorter trips when we do 1 bedrooms.

Mainahman

Original Poster
There are some 2057 contracts out there. Direct will sell it that way too. But yes, that is harder. For us we'll be 65 in 2042 so OKW isn't a huge thing for us that year. As longtime owner, buy where you would want to stay the most, or at least super happy if that's all you can book. Especially now, as booking may get harder in the future with extra points floating around.

The only thing SSR has for us is the new refurb has murphy beds instead of sofas so that could more easily be used for our shorter trips when we do 1 bedrooms.
We have fallen in love with OKW. Im 33 and my wife is 39, so the 2042 still puts us within travel age etc. So thats what has me a bit concerned. I rather go resale as its a better bang for your buck.

Capsin4

So in 26 days we arrive for our first DVC room stay. We got upgraded to a 2 bedroom VIlla at Kidani VIllage. Now the way my wife talks, she is super excited, and i can see a trend that she may be coming over to my dark side, of slower trips, as we know we will do something we missed next time, including increasing the resort only time. AKL has always been somewhere weve wanted to stay just because of the animals, and finally we get to do it. I know to own at this resort, would be a resale only option. I feel she may be interested to be able to know we always have a home, and take that portion out of it.

We come for a week at very least every year.

Most of the time there will be 2 of us. My wife and I so a studio is probably sufficient, but we like to occasionally bring someone with us, like a niece or nephew, and a 1 bedroom would work.

In rare occasions, My daughter and Her fiance may want to go, and in this case, we would want to be able to find a way to rent/ borrow points to be able to upgrade to a 2 bedroom so everyone has their space.

Usually we arrive on a Sunday, and leave the following Saturday so 6 nights slept in the resort in one trip. Budgeting a little extra for an occasional upgrade, and or a resort only stay for a long weekend is not out of the question either. :) times of year is totally for the most part not an issue, as we both work for the same company, so we can go anytime we want. its when we take someone else that it must be summer etc.

Teach me your ways!

Thanks all!
One strategy to consider, especially if you might want to plan in off years is to buy some percentage less than a full year and borrow forward to fill the gap. The percentage less you buy determines how often your off years show up.

For example, buy 80% of what you need. 1st year borrow 20% of the total needed from y2. In y2, borrow 40% of the total needed from year three and so on. In y4 you’d borrow 100% from year five and take year 5 off or take y4 off and roll over.

The % you under purchase by determines what % of years you’d skip. 25% is 1 every 4 years, 20% is 1 every 5 years, 50% is 1 every 2 years. If you go below 50%, you’ll just have to rollover points the first year. So if you only buy 33% of your need, you’d roll over y1 and in y2 borrow from y3. Then repeat. This is about the only option below 50% that works cleanly due to points rules.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom