Talk to me about Pros and Cons of Resale/ How many points would we need.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
If you’re a resale owner you might want to still check if you have access to Wonderland, I have heard reports of people getting it 🤷‍♂️

Mainahman

Original Poster
For us the only real benefits that were really worth it we’re the Moonlight Magic and Tables in Wonderland. Tables is, in my opinion, the best kept secret in WDW. That card has saved me so much money. It’s the only discount you can get on booze. Well worth it if you’re a family of drinkers haha
I usually just have a few cocktails every trip. Mostly colavas at the pool bar and sometimes with dinner.

Mainahman

Original Poster
Not just the after hours stuff. Here is a listing of items that require a direct membership buy:

So I don't get the 20 percent of merch if I don't buy through Disney? I'd still get my 10% off 50 or more with my Disney visa though...

CastAStone

Premium Member
What's so special about it at Christmas? We're actually considering a Christmas trip this year.
If you want to go between 11/1 and 12/25 you should expect to stay at the resort you own at. This is especially true in early December. Mid-September through early January in general switching resorts is hard, but for a span of several weeks in November and December it’s damn near impossible, even to the 3 giant resorts (OKW, AKV, and SSR). If you want to do Christmas at the Polynesian, you’ll need to own Polynesian points.

nickys

Premium Member
What's so special about it at Christmas? We're actually considering a Christmas trip this year.
Mid October to early January is peak DVC season - called Fall Frenzy. For those dates booking at 11 months is strongly advised and by 7 months there may.be little availability, even at SSR and OKW.

Which is why many people, including myself, advise to at least “buy where you wouldn’t mind staying” if not “buy where you want to stay”.

This year is slightly odd, people are afraid or unable to go, even though points are expiring. But over the next couple of years, availability in general will likely prove very hard as people try and use their points. There are essentially an extra 4 months worth of points in the system, a system which is designed to be at 95% occupancy year round.

nickys

Premium Member
So I don't get the 20 percent of merch if I don't buy through Disney? I'd still get my 10% off 50 or more with my Disney visa though...
You might get a discount in some stores, some CMs will still give it to you. They really shouldn’t according to the rules.

You definitely won’t get the discounts on things like tours, party tickets etc. Anything where you have to collect a hard ticket with a blue card and photo Id. Or Moonlight Magic where the registration process checks your “status”.

Mainahman

Original Poster
You might get a discount in some stores, some CMs will still give it to you. They really shouldn’t according to the rules.

You definitely won’t get the discounts on things like tours, party tickets etc. Anything where you have to collect a hard ticket with a blue card and photo Id. Or Moonlight Magic where the registration process checks your “status”.
That makes sense. I mean it's nothing we've had before, and gives a thinking point. The price difference may outweigh it though...

Mainahman

Original Poster
Mid October to early January is peak DVC season - called Fall Frenzy. For those dates booking at 11 months is strongly advised and by 7 months there may.be little availability, even at SSR and OKW.

Which is why many people, including myself, advise to at least “buy where you wouldn’t mind staying” if not “buy where you want to stay”.

This year is slightly odd, people are afraid or unable to go, even though points are expiring. But over the next couple of years, availability in general will likely prove very hard as people try and use their points. There are essentially an extra 4 months worth of points in the system, a system which is designed to be at 95% occupancy year round.
Makes sense. We mostly look to go in the summer months, or March. My birthday is March, my wife's is July. Our anniversary is on September. Short of a Christmas trip we'd be going anywhere between March and August/September.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
And if you buy APs, there is a similar 10% discount at a lot of restaurants, but not on alcohol. And the 10% on merch as well.

Mainahman

Original Poster
And if you buy APs, there is a similar 10% discount at a lot of restaurants, but not on alcohol. And the 10% on merch as well.
We've considered it a couple times. I'm going to price it each way. We very rarely spend less than 50 on merch,as we know if we spend more than that, we get the 10 percent. We usually just look and then buy all at once.

CastAStone

Premium Member
Thanks, but I'm not really clear how to use this. For example, 14 days of availability seems great but it doesn't tell me if I can reasonably expect to be able to find 8 nights consecutive.
So read it as “within this 2 week period, this many days were available when we checked”. If it’s 14 then that’s all of them, and you will have zero trouble finding 8 consecutive nights of things stay as they were when those charts were made. At 8-13, you’ll be able to find blocks of days, but you’ll have to do a split stay most likely to stay for eight nights.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
So read it as “within this 2 week period, this many days were available when we checked”. If it’s 14 then that’s all of them, and you will have zero trouble finding 8 consecutive nights of things stay as they were when those charts were made. At 8-13, you’ll be able to find blocks of days, but you’ll have to do a split stay most likely to stay for eight nights.
Haha, I'm smart, I promise!

For some reason, in my head the windows were whole months so I was thinking "14+ days of availability in a 30-day month, which doesn't do me much good if I don't know WHICH 14 days."

Thank you.

CastAStone

Premium Member
Yeah...it’s a timeshare...not an entrepreneurial endeavor.

Sometimes a cake is just a cake. That’s just me.
Yeah I've priced it out; unless you completely ignore Time Value of Money, the only resorts the math works on for renting are SSR and OKW unless you can get a HUGE 11 month premium vs the current standard of $20/point ($15.5 to the seller via a broker). If someone wants to ignore TVM that's their prerogative but at that point it's not an investment it's a savings account that requires a boat load of effort.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Yeah I've priced it out; unless you completely ignore Time Value of Money, the only resorts the math works on for renting are SSR and OKW unless you can get a HUGE 11 month premium vs the current standard of $20/point ($15.5 to the seller via a broker). If someone wants to ignore TVM that's their prerogative but at that point it's not an investment it's a savings account that requires a boat load of effort.
DVC is NEVER an investment. It is a luxury purchase. I really wish people would get over this idea. It is a way to prepay for your resort costs that will save you money during the time you own DVC. Nothing more than that. Anyone who looks at it like an investment should just stay away, as it isn't for them.

Not sure what kind of "boat load of effort" you are talking about. What exactly are you referring to?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom