Talk to me about Pros and Cons of Resale/ How many points would we need.

M:SpilotISTC12

Yeah...it’s a timeshare...not an entrepreneurial endeavor.

Sometimes a cake is just a cake. That’s just me.
i only brought it up since I had points that were going to expire so I rented them out. I’d rather rent them out than eat them. On the site I rented them through, Poly was very in demand especially 11 months out. Just pointing it out.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
i only brought it up since I had points that were going to expire so I rented them out. I’d rather rent them out than eat them. On the site I rented them through, Poly was very in demand especially 11 months out. Just pointing it out.
Yes, if you are going to lose them, then renting can work well.

nickys

Premium Member
renting points without a broker, which is what you would need to do to make the math work, would require a boat load of effort.
Depends.

After relating my tale of woe over my cancelled reservation via a broker on Touring Plans, I was approached by another owner and asked if I’d rent them points to extend their stay. For some reason I was so nervous about it but it’s been great and they’re good to go in a few weeks.

I’d do it again myself rather than going through a broker. But then it’s only when we can’t use our points. Not a regular thing. And I would try and rent to someone I “knew” again.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What's so special about it at Christmas? We're actually considering a Christmas trip this year.
Busiest week of the year...availability will be an issue

I have some basic advice for DVC:

1. Be flexible...Ie don’t try to go that same place at the same time every year. The whole point was to not make it a timeshare.
2. Move around...don’t have a “go to” place. Be ok going to OKW, DAK, and Saratoga. They’re all fine (even Saratoga)
3. Drink a lot. (Always good advice...in every scenario)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If you are looking at DVC simply to rent points and make money, then DVC really isn't for you. You buy DVC to use it.
Agree...hate that. If I want to be around people trying to profit on all things at all times...I can stay in New Jersey
Well that’s different...I’m 100% ok with that. Makes sense.
That is the point I was also making.
Yes, if you are going to lose them, then renting can work well.
Agree..I believe we all do.

Mainahman

Original Poster
Busiest week of the year...availability will be an issue

I have some basic advice for DVC:

1. Be flexible...Ie don’t try to go that same place at the same time every year. The whole point was to not make it a timeshare.
2. Move around...don’t have a “go to” place. Be ok going to OKW, DAK, and Saratoga. They’re all fine (even Saratoga)
3. Drink a lot. (Always good advice...in every scenario)
You had me at 3 LOL

Mainahman

Original Poster
If you are looking at DVC simply to rent points and make money, then DVC really isn't for you. You buy DVC to use it.
Exactly! If we buy DVC, it will be essentially to use it! Disney is the only place we ever want to be! My wife and I would be happy in a studio potentially, but may splurge for the 1 bedrooms just for the fridge and washer dryer.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Exactly! If we buy DVC, it will be essentially to use it! Disney is the only place we ever want to be! My wife and I would be happy in a studio potentially, but may splurge for the 1 bedrooms just for the fridge and washer dryer.
You might find that you end up preferring the 1 bedroom, even for just the 2 of you all the time. Unless there is a specific reason, like wanting a longer stay at Aulani, we go for a 1 bedroom on every visit. We just love the extra room, king bed, separate tub and shower, etc. We look at it as a true vacation home, and not simply hotel room. Of course, we also have enough points to do it as well.

Last edited:

Mainahman

Original Poster
You might find that you end up preferring the 1 bedroom, even for just the 2 of you all the time. Unless there is a specific reason, like wanting a longer stay at Aulani, we go for a 1 bedroom on every visit. We just love the extra room, king bed, separate tub and shower, etc. We look at it as a true vacation home, and not simply hotel room. Of course, we also have enough points to do it as well.
We had the 2 bedroom last week, and just thinking about it, a 1 bedroom would be perfect. A place to sit and have breakfast, cook a pizza when we just aren't hungry for park food at night, etc. If we choose to bring someone like my daughter there is a pull out bed In case. I still struggle for how many points I'd need to get me that once a year.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
We had the 2 bedroom last week, and just thinking about it, a 1 bedroom would be perfect. A place to sit and have breakfast, cook a pizza when we just aren't hungry for park food at night, etc. If we choose to bring someone like my daughter there is a pull out bed In case. I still struggle for how many points I'd need to get me that once a year.
Just look at the dates you want to go and add up the points for each day.

So checking the site, check in on August 22, and checking out on August 30 would be 278 points for a 1 bedroom Savannah View, or 230 for a Standard View.

Mainahman

Original Poster
Just look at the dates you want to go and add up the points for each day.

So checking the site, check in on August 22, and checking out on August 30 would be 278 points for a 1 bedroom Savannah View, or 230 for a Standard View.
We had a standard view last week, but had a view angle to the Savannah just outside our door. Not gunna lie if I were to buy in, I'd likely want a Savannah view.

nickys

Premium Member
We had a standard view last week, but had a view angle to the Savannah just outside our door. Not gunna lie if I were to buy in, I'd likely want a Savannah view.
Make sure you check what the maintenance fees are going to cost you too. Over the life of the contract that’s what will add up. There is a cap on how much they can go up each year, although property taxes are not included in that cap. And the fees can only cover actual running expenses of the resort, so DVC cannot make a profit from the MFs.

You will have the option of paying monthly or in one lump sum. And you can pay a lump sum at any time if you want to.

Mainahman

Original Poster
Make sure you check what the maintenance fees are going to cost you too. Over the life of the contract that’s what will add up. There is a cap on how much they can go up each year, although property taxes are not included in that cap. And the fees can only cover actual running expenses of the resort, so DVC cannot make a profit from the MFs.

You will have the option of paying monthly or in one lump sum. And you can pay a lump sum at any time if you want to.
We usually use our yearly bonus from work to go to WDW anyways, so I could just turn it around for those. I'll definitely need to factor it in for sure.

Mainahman

Original Poster
So this is confusing. I did next week, to see what average points would be for say my other neice and nephews trip next summer, and the possible Christmas trip with my daughter... Why is August more points than December???
Screenshot_20200817-180842.png
Screenshot_20200817-180930.png

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
So this is confusing. I did next week, to see what average points would be for say my other neice and nephews trip next summer, and the possible Christmas trip with my daughter... Why is August more points than December???View attachment 491565View attachment 491566
They did the seasons based on the projected seasonal popularity circa 1991. 2021 is the first major overhaul to the points charts in years in terms of seasons (they previously made a massive adjustment to the balance between weekdays and weekends).

You can find point charts in about 100 places but I like the ones on WDWinfo (the Dis) because they copy paste into excel well.

As you can see on the chart, Christmas-New Years is the most expensive week,but the rest of December is cheap. I’d suggest ignoring the 2020 chart entirely, like I said they redid it for 2021 (and a lot of people think they’ll continue making incremental changes to increase the cost of fall and decrease summer for the next few years to better balance demand)

Mainahman

Original Poster
The first 2 weeks of December are some of the lowest point costs for DVC.
Makes sense. I would of thought it wouldn't be that way, but alas it kind of makes sense. 240 points buys me a 2 bedroom villa in December or a 1 bedroom with some change in August.... Considering it's just my wife and I and we can travel whenever.... Id pick December every time.

nickys

Premium Member
To look at the 2021 points charts, go to the DVC site, and the resort list here:

If you open up the resort you want, underneath the points calculator you’ll see an option to download PDFs of both 2020 and 2021 points charts.

Mainahman

Original Poster
To look at the 2021 points charts, go to the DVC site, and the resort list here:

If you open up the resort you want, underneath the points calculator you’ll see an option to download PDFs of both 2020 and 2021 points charts.
Thank you! I couldnt find thisssss.

Update. were talking about it now, and my wife really likes old key west. and in econd was saratoga springs. She thinks Old Key west feels less hotelish, and more homey.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom