Talk to me about Pros and Cons of Resale/ How many points would we need.

M:SpilotISTC12

Update. Got home last night from a week at Kidani Village. Personally I'm hooked. Caught my wife watching the DVC Info channel while we were there. The washer and dryer and full fridge spoiled us rotten. I'm not sure I could ever do Disney again without them. Which then brings me to a other question. We get ticket discounts through work.. so if we were DVC, and then just went that way to get our tickets, it would all work the same right? We'd have our room through DVC already taken care of, and then just link those tickets in MDE.
Join the club! Glad you had a great time! Kidani is next on our list! You should definitely get a resale though! With COVID, you can expect that there won't be any moonlight magic events coming in the near future. As the years have gone, the direct member perks have been less and less. I bought direct but wished I went resale!

Thats what I do as a DVC owner. I got CM friends and family tickets from some friends that work at ABC. Linking them with MDE is super easy. Nothing would change if you're a DVC owner. Things would stay the same on the ticket front.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Update. Got home last night from a week at Kidani Village. Personally I'm hooked. Caught my wife watching the DVC Info channel while we were there. The washer and dryer and full fridge spoiled us rotten. I'm not sure I could ever do Disney again without them. Which then brings me to a other question. We get ticket discounts through work.. so if we were DVC, and then just went that way to get our tickets, it would all work the same right? We'd have our room through DVC already taken care of, and then just link those tickets in MDE.
DAK is probably the best deal - all things considered. Maybe Saratoga (all things considered).

But wait it out a little. Economic uncertainty can create “opportunities”.

Mainahman

Original Poster
Join the club! Glad you had a great time! Kidani is next on our list! You should definitely get a resale though! With COVID, you can expect that there won't be any moonlight magic events coming in the near future. As the years have gone, the direct member perks have been less and less. I bought direct but wished I went resale!

Thats what I do as a DVC owner. I got CM friends and family tickets from some friends that work at ABC. Linking them with MDE is super easy. Nothing would change if you're a DVC owner. Things would stay the same on the ticket front.
That makes total sense. Must still be the post trip exaustion kicking in. Wasn't sure how it would all work. I'll definitely go resale as I can't see ever calling Rivera home.

Mainahman

Original Poster
Have you ever stayed in Jambo? It's even better.

You can get other resorts direct, not just Riviera.

Still don't.
I thought that AKL was sold out? Plus it sounds resale is much cheaper. We have never stayed at Jambo. This was our first stay at AKL period.

Mainahman

Original Poster
No resort is ever really "sold out". You can buy direct points at any resort, but you may have to wait a few months until they have them.
Still sounds like a resale is a better option? I'm more interested as ever now, as the full kitchen and washer dryer really we're a life saver. Even if it's just my wife and I. I can see us starting a load before bed, swapping it over in the morning and not dragging a weeks worth of dirty clothes home that have been baking under the truck bed cover for 11 hours.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Still sounds like a resale is a better option? I'm more interested as ever now, as the full kitchen and washer dryer really we're a life saver. Even if it's just my wife and I. I can see us starting a load before bed, swapping it over in the morning and not dragging a weeks worth of dirty clothes home that have been baking under the truck bed cover for 11 hours.
Resale is absolutely cheaper. It just depends on what your priorities are for the discounts and other activities that require you to buy direct in order to take advantage of them. While the Midnight Magic events are cancelled this year, that won't last forever, and they will come back. DVC has to have some extra benefits to entice people to pay the extra price for buying direct.

Mainahman

Original Poster
Resale is absolutely cheaper. It just depends on what your priorities are for the discounts and other activities that require you to buy direct in order to take advantage of them. While the Midnight Magic events are cancelled this year, that won't last forever, and they will come back. DVC has to have some extra benefits to entice people to pay the extra price for buying direct.
Is that just the after hours event? If so that's not a deal breaker. What other things do you get for direct?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
DAK is probably the best deal - all things considered. Maybe Saratoga (all things considered).

But wait it out a little. Economic uncertainty can create “opportunities”.
Tired: Buying the newest resort Direct
Wired: Buying Animal Kingdom Villas resale
Inspired: Buying Saratoga Springs resale to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I thought that AKL was sold out?
Yes, but Disney acquires points to all sold out resorts over time when they take peoples deeds for not paying dues, from people who default on their bank loans (these go to foreclosure auction and Disney wins the vast majority of them because they're willing to bid up contracts past regular resale prices to scare buyers away from using this channel to get contracts, and thus most contracts get no bids except Disney's opening $100 bid), from people who don't know about resale just turning their contracts over to Disney for nothing when they get sick of paying dues (or refusing their inheritance), and via their Right of First Refusal on any resale contract sale.

Mainahman

Original Poster
Yes, but Disney acquires points to all sold out resorts over time when they take peoples deeds for not paying dues, from people who default on their bank loans (these go to foreclosure auction and Disney wins the vast majority of them because they're willing to bid up contracts past regular resale prices to scare buyers away from using this channel to get contracts, and thus most contracts get no bids except Disney's opening $100 bid), from people who don't know about resale just turning their contracts over to Disney for nothing when they get sick of paying dues (or refusing their inheritance), and via their Right of First Refusal on any resale contract sale.
Interesting! I didn't know that portion. To me AKL feels like home. I wouldn't turn down a stay water side at a bungalow at Poly tho...

For us the only real benefits that were really worth it we’re the Moonlight Magic and Tables in Wonderland. Tables is, in my opinion, the best kept secret in WDW. That card has saved me so much money. It’s the only discount you can get on booze. Well worth it if you’re a family of drinkers haha

You can do that anytime you want...but my recommendation is don’t pay for points at poly...unless you want to go at Christmas.

I wouldn’t.
Unless you plan on renting points out. Poly is always in demand for renters. Renting 11 months out gets some extra cash per point. Otherwise you’re right. Poly is usually pretty open most of the year.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
For us the only real benefits that were really worth it we’re the Moonlight Magic and Tables in Wonderland. Tables is, in my opinion, the best kept secret in WDW. That card has saved me so much money. It’s the only discount you can get on booze. Well worth it if you’re a family of drinkers haha
TiW is a great perk, and has also saved us literally thousands over the years. We're anxiously awaiting when they will start selling it again.

nickys

Premium Member
Do you do that? What's your experience booking AKV at 7 months in terms of availability?
At 7 months, KIdani will usually have availability, especially in 1-beds.

Just remember that the studios don’t have the washer dryers or full kitchen. However you would get free use of the laundry room at every DVC resort.

The Tables in Wonderland card is available to all owners, by many accounts, I have yet to read of anyone being refused it for not having a blue card. It seems to be a gray area and never fully confirmed whether or not it should be available to everyone. However TIW themselves don’t seem to care what kind of card you have. 🤷‍♀️ You can use it in many of the resort lounges too, although it does have some blackout dates (Christmas, NYE, NY, July 4th, a few other dates).

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom