Talk me into it

Howdy

Lurker extraordinaire
Premium Member
Original Poster
My wife and I honeymooned in WDW this past 4th of July week and had an early morning meeting with DVC. We liked what we were hearing, but weren't in a situation financially to commit. Now we sit a year later with our first baby due in late September and it has me thinking once again about DVC.

We are planning on a trip sometime in the spring, around 6 months old, and again in the fall just before or after his first birthday. From this point forward there is a very high likelihood that we will be spending two weeks every year between WDW, Disneyland, and Disney Cruises. Additionally, we have made it a goal to visit every Disney park in the world. I am planning on purchasing APs before our first trip next year, but am curious as to what the DVC has to offer us. I figured that this would be just about the best place to ask because I hate salespeople and want some real world reviews.

Lastly, what kind of monthly financial commitment would I be looking to make (ballpark)?

Thank you very much,

Justin

disneyrcks

Do you have any thoughts about how much you would put down and how many points you would like to purchase? Those factors will help determine your monthly payment. As far as the yearly "dues" we bought into BLT and pay our yearly dues up front every January. I would have to look at a statement to give an exact figure but it is about $550.00 ish.

611williamsj

Well back in 1995 our children were 2 years old we thought it was a great idea we got 220 points in Old Key West we have now paid of the original purchase price so there are only the annual dues to pay we are a lot less than the £5000 ($8000) we would pay if we wanted to stay at old key west when we do so it saves us a lot of money and I love the options of places to stay around the world

tjkraz

There is really no easy way to answer a financial question. You need to start by figuring out how many points you may wish to own. Nightly costs vary widely depending upon what resort(s) you hope to stay at, room size, view, how many nights per trip and how many trips per year. Some people get by with 100-150 points while others own hundreds to meet their needs.

Then you need to consider which Home resort is the best fit. At your Home resort (the location you actually own), you can book up to 11 months in advance of arrival. At other resorts you can only book 7 months prior to arrival. In many circumstances, that Home resort priority be the difference between getting a room and not getting a room. The Beach Club Villas are difficult to book at 7 months pretty much year-round. Other hard to book locations/categories include BoardWalk Standard View and BoardWalk View, Animal Kingdom Villas concierge, Bay Lake Tower Magic Kingdom View and Standard View, etc. The Grand Californian at Disneyland only has 50 villas total so that one will always be a crapshoot.

Home resort also determines how long you will own the DVC points. All DVC ownership has a fixed ending date and it varies by resort. If you buy into the BoardWalk or Beach Club, you will own the points for only about 30 years--those deeds return to Disney on 1/31/2042. At the other end of the spectrum, the Aulani resort in Hawaii runs into 2062 giving you 50+ years of ownership.

Points can be purchased direct from DVC or via a resale vendor. Buying resale tends to be more complicated and time consuming but can yield significant savings. In many ways, it's like buying a house from the builder vs. the current owners. When you buy from the builder, the price is typically non-negotiable and the process is relatively smooth. Buying from a current owner often involves negotiation and waiting on the other party to sign contracts, etc.

When you buy direct from DVC, you can often make your first reservation the very same day. Prices are non-negotiable. They will pro-rate your annual dues for the first year and typically give you what amounts to the prior year's points. Financing is easy. All of the official documents are shipped to your house for a signature; sign at your leisure and return in the pre-paid envelope. You can purchase the exact number of points and Use Year that you desire.

But Disney's prices are over $100 per point in most cases.

Buying resale you are dealing with an owner looking to sell his/her contract. First you need to find a contract with the number of points, Home resort and Use Year that you are seeking. Owners cannot sub-divide their contracts so if you want 180 points at Saratoga Springs with a February Use Year, you have to wait for that exact contract to appear on the resale market.

You'll have to come to an agreement on price and other terms. You will have to weigh the available points balance of the contract. It's not uncommon for sellers to have used some or all of the current year's points before selling their contract. Some will even "borrow" points from next year before selling. You could find the perfect resale listing...only to discover that the current owner has used all of the points for 2011 and 2012. If you buy, you won't have any points to use until the 2013 Use Year.

Best case scenario for making the first reservation in a resale is about 60 days from the time you make the offer. The buyer and seller need to sign and return contracts. Then the offer is submitted to Disney for review. Disney has Right of First Refusal on all resale offers--meaning that they could opt to buy the contract at YOUR terms if they so desire. Disney hasn't been particularly aggressive in buying back contracts these days, but they do still get up to 30 days to review the offer.

Even if Disney waives ROFR, the formal closing must still occur and then the contract is sent on to DVC so they can recognize you as the new owner. Overall, it's a 60+ day process before you will be acknowledged as the new owner and able to make a reservation. And throughout that process, many things could happen to derail the purchase. None of these things would put your funds at risk, but you could end up having to give up on a contract and start over from scratch.

Also note that resale points can no longer be used for many non-DVC options. Resale points cannot be used for anything in what Disney calls the Disney Collection, Concierge Collection or Adventurer Collection. Included in those restrictions are Disney Cruise Line, Adventures by Disney and all non-DVC resorts worldwide (Disneyland Hotel, Grand Floridian, resorts at Disneyland Paris, etc.)

Don't mean to scare you off of the resale process. Many have seamless buying experiences, are comfortable with the restrictions and save thousands of dollars. But others get frustrated with the delays, choose to work with sellers or resale agents who don't know what they are doing, don't want to be prohibited from using points for a Disney Cruise or other non-DVC destination. That's the choice you need to make.

In terms of price, you can find some recent numbers here:

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-program/financial/pricing-a-promotions

You're looking at $100+ per point for the likes of Bay Lake Tower or Aulani. Even at those prices, I think buying BLT or Aulani direct from Disney is reasonable given the full 50 years of ownership.

Click on the Timeshare Store link above for a look at resale asking prices. You can probably get some resorts in the $50-60 neighborhood but make sure you factor in the shorter ownership period, value of Home resort booking advantage and the resale purchase restrictions.

Good luck.

Howdy

Lurker extraordinaire
Premium Member
Original Poster
Thank you, that was very helpful. So let's say that I purchase 220 points at BLT. This allows me to attempt to book vacations up to 11 months in advance at my home resort and 7 months in the others if I am reading correctly. I am reading on the link you posted that the point usage per trip is depending on both the time of year and the resort, so I could potentially spend quite a bit of time in a value room at Animal Kingdom in off seasons or are they generally booked up?

We don't really want to spend large amounts of time in the World outside of the "Adventure" and "Choice" seasons, at least until the little one(s) are in school, so we have a few years to worry about that. My only other major question it seems would be about discounts, specifically passes. If we join DVC, I think I would be best suited to purchase a Premier Pass, but can someone tell me if there is a discount available to DVC members and if it would be worth it to go this route?

Thank you very much for your information, I'm sure I'll have a million other questions before all is said and done. I know prices will go up next year, and I really won't be ready to pull the trigger on this until at least February 2012, but want to make the most educated decision I possibly can.

You're looking at $100+ per point for the likes of Bay Lake Tower or Aulani.

Last I saw the current price for Bay Lake Tower is $140 per point while Animal Kingdom Villas and Saratoga Springs is $120. This was as of two weeks ago.

BTW, the DVC is more than worth it. My parents bought at the beginning in 1993 and then my Sister and her husband bought in 1997. It has more than paid for itself.

Pioneer Hall

Thank you, that was very helpful. So let's say that I purchase 220 points at BLT. This allows me to attempt to book vacations up to 11 months in advance at my home resort and 7 months in the others if I am reading correctly. I am reading on the link you posted that the point usage per trip is depending on both the time of year and the resort, so I could potentially spend quite a bit of time in a value room at Animal Kingdom in off seasons or are they generally booked up?

We don't really want to spend large amounts of time in the World outside of the "Adventure" and "Choice" seasons, at least until the little one(s) are in school, so we have a few years to worry about that. My only other major question it seems would be about discounts, specifically passes. If we join DVC, I think I would be best suited to purchase a Premier Pass, but can someone tell me if there is a discount available to DVC members and if it would be worth it to go this route?

Thank you very much for your information, I'm sure I'll have a million other questions before all is said and done. I know prices will go up next year, and I really won't be ready to pull the trigger on this until at least February 2012, but want to make the most educated decision I possibly can.

The idea is to really buy where you would want to stay. There are not make value rooms at AKV so without that 11 month advantage you would have a hard time getting a room there no matter what the season is. You best bet is to assume that you will be staying at BLT if you buy there and then change your plans accordingly as you can. I own at AKV but I have stayed at OKW and AKV (with upcoming trips at BCV and AKV again). There are some discounts for DVC members, but they are subject to change without notice at any time. You shouldn't purchase your membership based on any discount because there is no guarantee that it will be there in a few years or even tomorrow. The Premier pass that is good at both resorts does not have a DVC discount. You can get regular or premium WDW AP's with about a $100 discount.

Howdy

Lurker extraordinaire
Premium Member
Original Poster
The idea is to really buy where you would want to stay. There are not make value rooms at AKV so without that 11 month advantage you would have a hard time getting a room there no matter what the season is. You best bet is to assume that you will be staying at BLT if you buy there and then change your plans accordingly as you can. I own at AKV but I have stayed at OKW and AKV (with upcoming trips at BCV and AKV again). There are some discounts for DVC members, but they are subject to change without notice at any time. You shouldn't purchase your membership based on any discount because there is no guarantee that it will be there in a few years or even tomorrow. The Premier pass that is good at both resorts does not have a DVC discount. You can get regular or premium WDW AP's with about a $100 discount.

Okay thanks, I am planning on purchasing some sort of AP next spring regardless, as we plan to spend 16 days in Orlando next year, and if we plan out 2013's first trip properly, we may get 24 days out of one AP. Wife has been to DisneyLand, but I have not and want to go at least once, I'm just trying to decide if it would be worth it to purchase the Premier, or pay for the few days that we would be in Anaheim.

If/when we purchase into DVC, I plan to purchase for the longest contract available, so I might just buy closer to 300 points instead of the 220ish that I plan on.

The main reason for considering DVC is for family. We both have immediate family that can't really afford trips to Disney and would love to be able to help out at least once. I am fairly certain that it would be a good deal for us, simply because we both love Disney so much and want to spend so much time there.

Now, I know BLT is closely connected to the monorail through DCR. This to me, along with length of contract is the main selling point. What am I missing or should I look into as far as the other homes go? I intend to treat it like a hotel every time. We aren't really looking for a "home away from home" feel for the majority of our trips, just looking for the best all around value for the future of our family.

Pioneer Hall

Okay thanks, I am planning on purchasing some sort of AP next spring regardless, as we plan to spend 16 days in Orlando next year, and if we plan out 2013's first trip properly, we may get 24 days out of one AP. Wife has been to DisneyLand, but I have not and want to go at least once, I'm just trying to decide if it would be worth it to purchase the Premier, or pay for the few days that we would be in Anaheim.

If/when we purchase into DVC, I plan to purchase for the longest contract available, so I might just buy closer to 300 points instead of the 220ish that I plan on.

The main reason for considering DVC is for family. We both have immediate family that can't really afford trips to Disney and would love to be able to help out at least once. I am fairly certain that it would be a good deal for us, simply because we both love Disney so much and want to spend so much time there.

Now, I know BLT is closely connected to the monorail through DCR. This to me, along with length of contract is the main selling point. What am I missing or should I look into as far as the other homes go? I intend to treat it like a hotel every time. We aren't really looking for a "home away from home" feel for the majority of our trips, just looking for the best all around value for the future of our family.

It certainly seems like you have a good handle on what you are dealing with here financially. The good thing about pricing all of this out is that you know your travel habits and you have all the financial information in front of you. You know how much your points will cost and you can figure out what your dues will be around every year (yes they go up every year, but not by much and usually not as much as the usual room increase). As far as passes, that is even easier to figure out since you can simply see which will be cheaper. I haven't done a breakdown so I don't know if a non-discounted premier is better than a discounted DVC AP with Disneyland hopper.

While you don't have the ability to book cruises, adventures by Disney, and a few other things resale might still be something you want to look at in order to purchase. BLT currently has the latest contract end date at WDW (2060) with AKV not far behind (2057). You can save considerable amounts of money going this route if the small stipulations do not matter to you (for example I never plan to use my points away from DVC resorts since like many other members I don't percieve it as a good value). A quick glance at the timeshare store shows 270pt BLT contracts for $96 per point as opposed to Disney's $124 price with their current promotion. The same number of points at AKV are only $75 per point through a resale as opposed to $104 with Disney. I purchased my contract last summer with resale and saved nearly $6000. Also, unless you aren't intersted in Animal Kingdom Lodge, you might want to look there due to the big difference in price...I personally don't see the 3 years to be a big difference (and the resort is awesome).

baymenxpac

my parents are the members, so i know how the points system and the financials work (although not like the back of my hand like my dad does), but i CAN give you this review:

my dad always say it's the best money him and my mom ever spent. i still love going to WDW with the folks when life permits. my fiancee and i went down with them last year. it's fantastic and the memories i have from our annual trips will last a lifetime. it sounds like you have a good handle on what you're dealing with and you'll definitely be using it enough. so i highly recommend it!

Howdy

Lurker extraordinaire
Premium Member
Original Poster
I will definitely look into AKV more in depth when I get home tonight. I was wondering something else also. I know that you can borrow and roll points from the previous and next years, but let's say that we wanted to book a 3 bedroom Grand Villa at BLT in June for around 750 points. If I only have say 300 per year, what options do I have as far as making this work? I feel like I remember talk of "renting" points?

Howdy

Lurker extraordinaire
Premium Member
Original Poster
my parents are the members, so i know how the points system and the financials work (although not like the back of my hand like my dad does), but i CAN give you this review:

my dad always say it's the best money him and my mom ever spent. i still love going to WDW with the folks when life permits. my fiancee and i went down with them last year. it's fantastic and the memories i have from our annual trips will last a lifetime. it sounds like you have a good handle on what you're dealing with and you'll definitely be using it enough. so i highly recommend it!

Thanks, the more I look into and remember from our meeting, the more I realize that this is a "when" and not an "if".

Howdy

Lurker extraordinaire
Premium Member
Original Poster
Also, Adventures by Disney, these are basically pre-scheduled busy vacations right? I know that the cruises aren't that expensive and really aren't worth spending points on, but don't really have a complete grasp on the basics of and cost of the Adventures.

Pioneer Hall

I will definitely look into AKV more in depth when I get home tonight. I was wondering something else also. I know that you can borrow and roll points from the previous and next years, but let's say that we wanted to book a 3 bedroom Grand Villa at BLT in June for around 750 points. If I only have say 300 per year, what options do I have as far as making this work? I feel like I remember talk of "renting" points?

You can bank points from your current use year into the next one if you haven't used them. You can also borrow your next years points into your current year as well if you want to use those. If you want a big blowout vacation like you mentioned once every three years you can bank your points to next year and then borrow the following as well. An example to make it a bit easier:

My use year starts in October and I have 200 points. Let's imagine I wanted to have a big trip sometime between Oct 2011 and Oct 2012. Sometime before May 31 2010 (banking deadline is 4 months prior to the end of your use year) I could have banked my points to the next year. So that would now give me 400 points for 2011. If I still needed more points than that to book my trip I could also borrow from my Oct 2012 use year and have 600 points in 2011. However, now my points in 2010 and 2012 are completely spent and I will not be able to get any new points until 2013 use year. Things to note as well with banking and borrowing. They are final transactions that can't be reversed and can only be done once. The points I banked from 2010 to 2011 have to be used in 2011 or they will be lost. The same applies to borrowing points...if I borrow the points I need to use them and cannot bank them back into their original year. It sounds somewhat confusing, but once you read into it it's a piece of cake.

Also, Adventures by Disney, these are basically pre-scheduled busy vacations right? I know that the cruises aren't that expensive and really aren't worth spending points on, but don't really have a complete grasp on the basics of and cost of the Adventures.

ABD is exactly that. They have a number of destinations and they put together extensive touring plans. The trips are very expensive (but apparently very good) and the points costs for these are through the roof. I don't have much interest in taking an ABD tour (besides the one that goes to Disneyland and Imaginnering) but if I did I would never consider using my points to do it due to the very high amount that is needed.

disneynut4u

We bought into Bay Lake Tower earlier last year. Our intention was to use it yearly for WDW trips every year instead of going every two years like we had been doing. However, our first trip using DVC was to Washington, DC when my son was selected to attend a conference there. Since I had always wanted to visit there, I asked my sister to go with me, while he did his conference. Mandarin Oriental was an awesome hotel at $635 per night, but with DVC I only had to pay $95 for the entire week!! How great is that?!?! The ONLY drawback that we didn't know about was that NON-Disney hotels require security deposits (usually no big deal) but their deposit was $1000. Not having that available when we checked in, I was a little freaked out, but management worked us out a deal.

We have now booked Aulani for December and can't wait to go there!! However, since it is for dad's birthday, we surprised him with it. Even though he has always wanted to see Pearl Harbor, he won't fly. So we may be changing to WDW. I do wish we had bought more points, so may consider getting more.

slappy magoo

Aside from what everyone else has been adding, let me add this one caveat - using your points to book a trip on a Disney Cruise Line, ABD, or any Disney resort that isn't a DVC resort is not a good "value" for your points. If you're in a situation where once in a great while you want to use your points for a cruise, have at it, but it's not uncommon for a very good room on a ship to take more points than what you're allotted for a year, for just one person!

As far as what your points get you in a Disney resort, you may have noticed the link to the Timeshare Store on this page up top. Clicking on it will get you to their main page, where you'll find a link to the current point charts for all the Disney resorts. Not the non-DVC options, but all the DVC resorts (maybe not Aulani; it's so new they're probably not many resellers out there yet. It may give you an idea of how many points you need, though the amount of points you need in any given day or week or time of year may adjust by a small amount. If they raise point values in one resort for one type of room or one particular day of the week, it has to be reduced elsewhere - they can't arbitrarily raise rates across the board. But if you have a time of year that you expect to go whenever you do go to WDW, and the type of room in the resort of choice is currently X points for a week, in a couple of years, that could shift to X + 10, or X + 2, or X - 10 or X - 2, for that matter. If you do decide to buy, and you can afford to buy a few more points, it may behoove you to do so. It would stink to buy exactlywhat you'd need to buy for the length of your trip THIS year, only for things to change ever so slightly next year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom