Taking photos during the race

staceNspace517

Original Poster
I will be running my first Disney Marathon in 2014...yay! I am so excited :)

Have any of you ever carried a camera with you while you run? I would really like to have one with me during the race do that I can snap photos with the characters along thr way. Any suggestions as to how I can do this as easily and as comfortably as possible? I am not really used to taking anything with me while I run, except for my iPod on my arm.

Thanks!

Kristia

Hi and welcome to the forum! I have carried my camera for my 3 Disney races and a handfull of other "special-to-me" races. I have a little Canon point and shoot. It is a little bit of a pain but the pictures are priceless so I just deal with it. If you have a small enough camera, it may fit in a spibelt or something similar. Mine will fit, but I end up taking so many pictures that I end up just wrapping the wrist strap around my wrist and just hold it. Try some training runs carrying it and see what works best for you.

Sumrdog

I run with my iPhone which takes pretty good pictures except in lower light. But it's good enough, it fits in my little waste belt. I can't carry stuff in my hands when I run long distances because they go numb which is annoying to me. I agree with @Kristia try a few runs with your camera and see how it feels. I saw someone doing the Princess Half with a big SLR, not something I could do, but I bet he got way better pictures than me!
And I will be doing the Disney World Marathon in January too! Wahoo!!

Kristia

I run with my iPhone which takes pretty good pictures except in lower light. But it's good enough, it fits in my little waste belt. I can't carry stuff in my hands when I run long distances because they go numb which is annoying to me. I agree with @Kristia try a few runs with your camera and see how it feels. I saw someone doing the Princess Half with a big SLR, not something I could do, but I bet he got way better pictures than me!
And I will be doing the Disney World Marathon in January too! Wahoo!!
I saw a couple people at the last Disney Marathon carrying thier SLRs too! No way! I love taking pictures but there is no way I could carry that thing the whole way!

fmingo36

I always take my camera. Just a simple point & shoot. I stop at EVERY character and take a picture. I have a lot of fun with this and it enhances my race experience. When I run at Disney I'm not running for my best time.

You can read my report from the Tower of Terror 10 Miler and see some of the pictures I took. (Night races are harder for pictures-lighting isn't always great)
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...gest-you-take-the-stairs.852281/#post-5159390

dreamfinder

I've hand carried a point & shoot during the 5ks, but not during the longer races. For those I just stick my iPhone on my fuel belt. Snack sized ziploc baggy keeps it dry. Look for a digital camera case that has a loop on the back that could fit on a fuel belt type thing. I do strongly recommend running with your own fluids over longer distances, especially if you don't like/can't find the lemon lime powerade Disney provides to train with. So you can find someway to stick the camera on your belt/backpack/run along camel or however you choose to bring fluids.

Some people do feel that carrying things by hand over long runs throws off your gait/balance. Water bottles, cameras, iPods, etc.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I have a small Canon point and shoot as well. I attached a wrist strap to it, and carry it in one hand. That way, I don't have it bouncing in my spibelt, and I can take pictures on the fly.

crazydaveh

I usually use my iPhone but I also carry my phone in a ziplock bag. I am a sweater and especially when it's warm (Disney Marathon Weekend 2013) the Otter Box can't keep my phone dry, thus taking a picture is not easy to do. I have also used a Kodak waterproof camera for runs. This is good, but if it's dark, don't plan on getting any type of quality picture. if the sun is up, awesome pictures. Good luck in your race.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Welcome!

I take my iPhone with me on any run that I leave my neighborhood and especially on any trail run. So, I always have a 10mp camera.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Hello, quick bump to this thread.
I am running my first Disney run this November, and planned on running with my iPhone, as I always do, which will do in a pinch for quick pictures. I was wondering though, any chance they have Photopass photographers out on the course at some of the character spots / finish line, etc? Seems like something that they might have that I had not read anywhere about.

dreamfinder

Hello, quick bump to this thread.
I am running my first Disney run this November, and planned on running with my iPhone, as I always do, which will do in a pinch for quick pictures. I was wondering though, any chance they have Photopass photographers out on the course at some of the character spots / finish line, etc? Seems like something that they might have that I had not read anywhere about.

Photopass? No. Random race photography company sub contracting out some Photopass photographers (and non Photopass) to sell prints through their 3rd party service? Yes. Marathonfoto has the contract this year, you can see pictures from past races this year here -> http://www.brightroom.com/disney2013/

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Photopass? No. Random race photography company sub contracting out some Photopass photographers (and non Photopass) to sell prints through their 3rd party service? Yes. Marathonfoto has the contract this year, you can see pictures from past races this year here -> http://www.brightroom.com/disney2013/

If you really care about the photos, take your camera/phone with you. I'm not too impressed with MarathonFoto.

Thank you. That pretty much answers my question. I don't really care about photos during the race more than my iPhone could take. If there were Photopass folks out, I'd probably stop and use one or two, but other than that, I don't personally care enough during the race to carry anything other than my phone, which I'd be carrying anyway. Thank you for quick responses!

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Hi and welcome to the forum! I have carried my camera for my 3 Disney races and a handfull of other "special-to-me" races. I have a little Canon point and shoot. It is a little bit of a pain but the pictures are priceless so I just deal with it. If you have a small enough camera, it may fit in a spibelt or something similar. Mine will fit, but I end up taking so many pictures that I end up just wrapping the wrist strap around my wrist and just hold it. Try some training runs carrying it and see what works best for you.

Hi there! Who takes your pictures - like with characters? I was watching some videos on youtube of the race. And it looked like other racers were taking the pics, and then sometimes it looked like there was a photographer. Thanks!! I plan on just taking my phone which takes good pictures. :)

Kristia

Hi there! Who takes your pictures - like with characters? I was watching some videos on youtube of the race. And it looked like other racers were taking the pics, and then sometimes it looked like there was a photographer. Thanks!! I plan on just taking my phone which takes good pictures. :)
There is almost always a cast member or two there to take pictures. You just hand off your camera to the cast member and they take it. I can only remember one time that I didn't see a cast member and that was when we saw Zorro with his horse. Of course if you are running with someone they could take the picture as well. Recently they started having the Marathon Foto people taking pictures as well but I was not impressed and wouldn't pay for those.

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
There is almost always a cast member or two there to take pictures. You just hand off your camera to the cast member and they take it. I can only remember one time that I didn't see a cast member and that was when we saw Zorro with his horse. Of course if you are running with someone they could take the picture as well. Recently they started having the Marathon Foto people taking pictures as well but I was not impressed and wouldn't pay for those.

Zorro????? I don't know if I would have waited for Zorro. :) Thanks for the info! Its really helpful! I am running solo.

Kristia

Zorro????? I don't know if I would have waited for Zorro. :) Thanks for the info! Its really helpful! I am running solo.
Haha! There was no wait for Zorro. He was hangin' out on his horse with another character holding his horse (Zorro's sidekick lol? Don't think he had one of those!) Maybe that is why I didn't see him in 2013! There will always be someone to take your picture with the characters. Also most runners are more than happy to help take your pic in front of the mile markers as long as you return the favor. :)

fmingo36

I always take my camera and I'm usually running by myself. More often than not there is a CM (or 2) to take pictures for you but if not I just ask whoever is in line behind me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom