taking my car

steviej

Original Poster
I'm doing the spring 07 college program. Who here did or didn't bring a car? And are you sorry that you did or didn't? Do you think I should take my car? thank you all.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I'm doing the spring 07 college program. Who here did or didn't bring a car? And are you sorry that you did or didn't? Do you think I should take my car? thank you all.

I drove 1500 miles from SD to FL and would have died if i didn't have my car. I am NOT patient enough to wait for the busses...plus the few times I DID ride the bus, I feared for my life!! Bring your car!! You can go to the beach and wherever you want...WHENEVER you want!

kcw

hey I shipped my car 3,000 miles from AZ and it was worth every cent to do it! It depends a lot on you though- personally, I need to be able to go wherever I want, whenever I want and I absolutely hate having to depend on other people (the buses included) to get me where I need to go! BUT i'm willing to give other people rides to and from places if I'm going there (or to the general vicinity) already, and I know that there are a lot of other people out here who are the same way- so you can definitely get by without it if necessary.... but from NJ to here, about 1,000 miles maybe? so you can make it in a day and a half?? i think it's worth it!

just thought of another thing- sometimes my roomates have to catch a bus up to an hour or an hour and a half early, just because of all the stops, how slow the bus moves, and to make sure that you'll get there in time...... but depending on what park I'm working at that day, I don't have to leave nearly that early! (8 mins to epcot!! 21 to MK! haha)

steviej

Original Poster
if I check off yes that I will be taking my car. Do i have to have it with me when I arrive? or can my parents drive it down or something like that after I'm all settled in?

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
^^ I think you can 'add' your car later, but you have to register it with Price Management b/c you have to have proof of insurance and a parking sticker. You made a WISE choice in bringing your car!

steviej

Original Poster
the few times I DID ride the bus, I feared for my life!quote]

thank you and everyone else for your help. Now fallen angel, if you don't mind my asking, could you elaborate a little bit on the statement i quoted. can't thank you enough :wave:

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
take your car, just remember Floridians don't know how to drive :)

schroder6452

I didn't take my car....more like I couldn't bring my car. It would have cost way too much to bring it anyway (look at my location). I was perfectly fine without my car for both of my CPs. The first time I pretty much only used the buses, yeah I had to leave at 620am to get to work at 730 at the GF or when I worked in the evening there were a handful of times I'd have to call them up because the bus was more than a few minutes late. Honestly I think I probably only rode in a friends car less than 20 times when I was up there that first time.

Second time I still used the bus most of the time, but since all of my roommates had cars this time instead of none of them like the first, it was so much easier to go shopping, and I got to go hang out or just drive around to various places with them. Like someone said above, if you don't bring your car, you'll probably make friends with people who do have cars and would be willing to drive you if you are going to the same area.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
take your car, just remember Floridians don't know how to drive :)

Well stated. Actually, my only advice is to AVOID I-4 at ALL COSTS!!! Your sanity will appreciate paying a few extra dollars to take the toll roads...tourists tend to avoid the toll roads and therfore the toll roads are a LOT safer!!

davidpw97

I agree with everyone that says bring your car. I was a CP'er in spring 2000 and having a car was great. Even though 4 of my roomies had cars and I probably would have been able to get rides easily, the freedom having your own car gives you is totally worth it. Being able to go over to the beach or anywhere else on days off without having to wait for a bus or hope that a roommate or friend has a car and the same days off as you is awesome. I would also highly recommend buying a nice street map when you get down there. I got one and I bring it with me everytime I go back there, really comes in handy.

zeroFantasy

Bring a car!! Bus services are horrible. I've only used them for a month until I learned the way to EPCOT, but my friends says it's terrible! I always give them rides. Also, when you go to Walmart and stuff, you can buy as much as you want. You can go anywhere, anytime you want. You will probably have less points for being late (aka you won't be late with a car, if you really care about that stuff!) Bring your car, you will need it.

Haha, true about I-4! I took the Autotrain down here.. (They take your car and you and go to Florida!), so the first road I had to drive on down here was I-4! Of course, the only exit I needed was closed, so I ended up driving for hours and hours... grrr.... ;)

kcw

Well stated. Actually, my only advice is to AVOID I-4 at ALL COSTS!!! Your sanity will appreciate paying a few extra dollars to take the toll roads...tourists tend to avoid the toll roads and therfore the toll roads are a LOT safer!!

and tourists should avoid the toll roads!!!! quite honestly i think it's a cheap shot to put toll roads in such a tourist heavy city.....the Floridians should be paying for their own roads, not the tourists!!!

but getting off of my soapbox.....i've never really had too much of a problem with the 4.... there's not too many times I need to use it- as far as the parks go, AK is the only one that I take the 4 to.... so basically i never use the toll roads and I've been just fine!!

JLW11Hi

I took my car and was very grateful that I did. Similar to what someone else said, we drove all the way from Minnesota. I can be a fun trip in itself.

I only rode the bus twice. I am someone who makes a lot of spontaneous decisions to go places, so it was great to always have my car avaliable to use. Plus, you can go places where the buses don't take you. Road trips!

Oh, and having a car there will make you very popular with people without cars!

I drove on I-4 pretty much every day I went to work and had no problem there. There are bad drivers, yes, but then again, there are bad drivers everywhere! Once you get your route to work down its pretty simple.

dreamcometrue

I agree with everyone else - bring it (you probably already decided to do this anyways). I don't know what I would've done without my car!!! Being able to come and go at night as you please, and going places (I frequented Cocoa Beach on my few days off) when you actually have time is a great way to keep your sanity. I just did my CP this past summer, and they have updated the buses so they aren't as bad as I had been hearing about before I left, but it's still way better (and more time efficient) to have your car.

olean

I live in Orlando, and I strongly recommend that you bring your own car down, Orlando is BIG and it takes a while to get from place to place, so unless you want to stay secluded in the world of Disney with no freedom to ride around I highly recommend you bring your car. There is an ALTERNATIVE though if you cant or dont want to bring your car:

Public transportation is availiabe, its called the Lynx system, but just keep in mind that the routes are often inconvenient time-wise, and if you dont know your routes you could get really lost, however if you get lost; all routes end at the downtown central station from which point you can hop onto any route to anywhere, and after midnight you have to catch a taxi cab. For more info on Lynx checkout the website:
www.golynx.com

RareWare

I'm taking my car because I've talked to many people in the program this past semester and they have problems with it either showing up WAY to early or to late. Hopefully the Florida drivers won't kill me or my car....

olean

I'm taking my car because I've talked to many people in the program this past semester and they have problems with it either showing up WAY to early or to late. Hopefully the Florida drivers won't kill me or my car....

As a local I can tell you; What you'll have to worry more about then even Florida drivers is the tourists. Disney is a very heavily touristy area as you probably already know and the roads are PACKED with tourists, most of whom are probably lost and resort to unsafe manuveurs like last-minute lane changes and sudden stopping. You have to be patient and defensive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom