Taking Grandpa to FL

katastic

Hi, my name is Kat and I'm new here. My grandfather (83), sister (18) and I (20) have a trip to Orlando planned for early January. He's been waiting 50 years to take this trip and meet with one of his friends from World War II.

My main concern is that he has a bad hip. He's absolutely going to refuse to use a wheelchair for extended periods, and I don't want to insult him by renting one right off the bat (and I know it's a first come first serve, so we're in trouble!). Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can make this the best time possible without making him feel like he needs "special help"? I've debated calling Guest Services so far.

Thanks in advance! :wave:

Cuseorng1

I dont know really know how to help you but got one thing to say. As a former cast member at Rock n Roller coaster, a family was pushing around the Grandmother in a wheel chair, and she was told old to really do anything. So the family left her in studio C (the recording studio where u see Aerosmith) for 2 hrs. A guest told us cause they said they noticed her a couple of times. Cast Members didnt notice cause we didnt have anyone in that room at that time. So dont leave him behind while u all go have fun.

Upvote 0

conntom

You can rent him a ECV chair he can drive himself I think
he would like it more that way. I would like to say Hi to
you welcome I hope you like it here.

:xmas:

Upvote 0

kosherkid411

I've gone both with my grandparents and my father (who needs a cane to get around places). The first time my grandparents went when they were "older," my grandfater refused and so we let him. He was in really bad shape after that day. We offered again the second and and he accepted it and realized that he needed it.

First of all, I highly recomend that you talk to guest services. They are more than willing to help you. Second, if he refuses, one of you can rent a wheelchair early and then park it somewhere and then when you need it, you can get it.

All I can say is that more than anything he'll learn on his own.

If there is anything else that I can help you with, please IM me or email me.

Upvote 0

meanmice

Very little I remember from my first trip to WDW, but I do remember my grandfather having the hardest time getting around and he refused a wheelchair. He wasn't too old at the time, but he has had a lot of operations on his back and can hardly walk. We were stopping every 15 min. so that he could sit for a few.

You said he's meeting his friend. Maybe his friend will convince him to use a wheelchair, or maybe they'll spend most of the time together sitting and talking.

Upvote 0

DDuckFan130

Originally posted by Cuseorng1
I dont know really know how to help you but got one thing to say. As a former cast member at Rock n Roller coaster, a family was pushing around the Grandmother in a wheel chair, and she was told old to really do anything. So the family left her in studio C (the recording studio where u see Aerosmith) for 2 hrs. A guest told us cause they said they noticed her a couple of times. Cast Members didnt notice cause we didnt have anyone in that room at that time. So dont leave him behind while u all go have fun.

oh my goodness! how could they do that to the poor lady?! worse being in there for TWO hours in a room where it gets loud cuz of the music! sorry to go off on a tangent but that shocked me...sorry i cant help you katastic but the last time my grandma went she was 62 and could walk fine...and it was 1992...now she's 73 and won't go and frankly she can barely walk...she lives with us and refuses to use the walker the therapist gave her..she doesnt wanna look foolish or whatever...so in that sense i get your problem because old folks are stubborn and become little kids so good luck to you!

Upvote 0

katastic

Original Poster
My grandfather is pretty set against the wheelchair, but I figured that using fastpass and getting the times for ALL the shows in advance will give me a chance to preplan what we're going to do. That way, I can at least map our path so we're not walking in circles (the least walking possible).

Also, I have to say I am very very impressed with the WDW resort. I emailed them last night explaining my situation and the customer service rep is sending me maps and presented a very detailed outline of wheelchair availability and even where to rent them in Orlando (outside of the Magic Kingdom).

Thanks a lot! :)

Upvote 0

Donfan

I have been renting wheelchairs for my wife when we go to WDW for many years now. The thing you need to impress on your grandfather is the size of the place. Everything is very spread out. He will really enjoy EPCOT, but it is huge. Lots of people rent wheelchairs even if they don't have any disabilities just because it is so far to walk. I have never had any trouble renting a chair, even late in the day. Also, you can park hop by leaving the chair you rented in one park, taking the receipt, and picking up another chair in another park at no extra cost. The fee is good for chairs in all Disney parks for one day. The electric chairs are very expensive and probably hard to drive. It is much more sociable to have someone push the chairs. It sounds like you and your sister are young, strong, and healthy, so your grandfather shouldn't be hard for you to push. Take turns. That way nobody gets worn out. But go slow and be careful. It's really easy to run over other people who aren't watching where they're going. They get really mad when you do that. Probably justifiably. Your trip should be a lot of fun for all of you. I hope your grandfather finds his old friend and they have a good time together.

Upvote 0

conntom

The ECVs are not that bad it's $ 40 for the day at the end
of your time in the Park you hand in the ticket you get back
$ 10. The ECV is not hard to drive at all you just have to get
use to it I love it .

:xmas:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom