Taking a Toddler?

syst0aac

Does anyone have a good idea of what rides you can take a toddler (19 months) on at WDW? I am assume we can take him on rides like Dumbo, and probably Pooh - but can we hold him on rides like Pirates?

Thanks in advance -

tigsmom

Does anyone have a good idea of what rides you can take a toddler (19 months) on at WDW? I am assume we can take him on rides like Dumbo, and probably Pooh - but can we hold him on rides like Pirates?

Thanks in advance -

We did quite a few rides when our little one was about 20 months old. She loved Its A Small World, Pooh, Pirates and Peter Pan & Dumbo (daddy held her really tight sitting next to him) and the Tiki Birds. She didn't want anything to do with the Haunted Mansion or other dark rides. She loved the Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Muppets in MGM and El Rio Del Tiempo in Mexico at EPCOT.

She was mostly interested in seeing the characters and we probably did less that trip than any we ever took, but seeing the joy on her face made everything ok. Don't forget nap breaks and bring some favorite snacks & juice boxes with you because, as you know, at that age they don't do waiting very well. :wave:

Upvote 0

syst0aac

Original Poster
Good ideas

Thanks tigsmom for the ideas - we will make sure he gets lots of nap time. And thanks Dr. Thunderbolt for reminding me how sad and pathetic people can be on the anonymous internet.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Our youngest's first trip was at 10 days old and she has been about every month since then. There are a number of rides, pretty much any ride without a height restriction, that a child that age can be taken on it is just a mater of what will make the little guy laugh and what will scare him. We were lucky, our daughter was a daredevil from birth so nothing phased her but you know your child's own limits so respect them and things will be fine.

I don't know how large your child is but if he is small enough to fit in one of harnesses that put him on your chest I would highly recommend it. They make getting on and off rides a breeze and they will put him at a level where he can see what is going on. If he gets a little scared you can turn him around.

The best piece of advice I can give you is go at your child's pace. If you try to do the parks like a commando your child will sap and make life miserable for you. Take time out for naps and don't force him to do anything.

And to Dr.Thunderbolt, there was a time that I would have agreed with you 100%. Then I had my own kids and my opinion changed completely. The sound and sight of your own newborn enjoying WDW is like nothing else in the world.

Upvote 0

coltow

My son was 22 months on one of our trips and he did just about everyting that didn't have a height requirement. He was a little scared on the Haunted Mansion. He did like Pirates (just not the beginning). He loved Pooh, Buzz Lightyear and the Jungle Cruise. He also really enjoyed the Playhouse Disney show at MGM and the LOVED the safari at AK. He, however, hated just about every minute at EPCOT. After spending days in the other parks where there was so much to do, this wasn't fun for him.

My suggestion too is to make sure to hit at least 1 character meal. It's always fun and you get good 1 on 1 time with the characters.

Upvote 0

dcartwr

I think you are the best judge of your child as to how much they will enjoy the "dark" rides at Disney. I have taken my daughter at age 2.5 and 3.5, and she was freaking out at Peter Pan at 2.5. Same thing with the 3D movie. But she was pretty timid about many things. At 3.5, she was fine for both, but I didn't even think of taking her on Haunted or Pirates. I know they are to dark and loud for her.

One thing that she totally loved and I do highly recommend is the character breakfast at the Contemporary. Lots of characters for them to see and it was a great start to the trip and she then wanted to see everyone she could when we were in the parks. My other recommendation is the parade. Take the time to get a good spot for the parade. My daughter LOVED it and it was a wonderful experience for all of us. We always get ice cream and sit and wait for the parade to start.

Just remember, go slow and at their pace. I like to say that every child at Disney is either on the verge of a meltdown, or just had one. But they don't last and the next fun thing is right around the corner. Enjoy and have fun.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Our son was a year and a half and had just started walking. We took a stroller that had the "lay down" functionality. I highly recomend that you pick up a stroller cover for your stroller. The ones that are clear plastic that you can put over them when it rains. We wished we would have had one. The dual poncho system is not as efficient. I also recomend you take something you can put on your stroller handle that will stand out in the sea of strollers. We used a very bright neon green Hertz plastic luggage tag. It stood out like a beacon.

Disney sells their own variety of goldfish and pretzels. You can find them in most parks. They come in handy if you need a snak. Tigsmom's suggestion about the juiceboxes is a very good one. One of our issues was that juices are not as readily available in certain areas of the park as you would think.

As for rides, the biggest "offense" to our son was the volume on rides and attractions. If it was loud, he really didnt like it. Sometimes we forget that an infants hearing can be alot more sensative than ours. Be ready to cover little ears if you are close to the fireworks or a speaker in an attraction or ride.

You will have a great time and make alot of really cool memories. Ours with our son was the fact that 5 or 6 times that we rode Killamanjaro Safari at DAK, he fell asleep all but once. How he was able to sleep on that bumpy ride is beyond me. Another good ride to allow an infant to catch a nap is the TTA in Tomorowland at MK. Its rather smooth and no really loud noises. You can also stretch your legs out as well. I love just staying on it for thirty minutes or so.

But beyond everything, be flexible and remember that its just as tiring for the toddler as it is for you. Its sensory overload in most cases. You will have a great time!!!!!

Upvote 0

CindiFan

As for rides, the biggest "offense" to our son was the volume on rides and attractions. If it was loud, he really didnt like it. Sometimes we forget that an infants hearing can be alot more sensative than ours. Be ready to cover little ears if you are close to the fireworks or a speaker in an attraction or ride.
quote]

Our daughter had/has the same issue with loud noises & loud music. She even found the music for Cinderellabration (sp) 'too loud'. We visited the infirmary & got a few sets of ear plugs for her. That seemed to help at least a little.

Oh, she also freaked out in the 3-D movie in MK. Didn't like it at all. She was 2.5 at the time. She also didn't like most of the other dark rides. We're hoping this year (at 3.5) she'll do better with those.

Upvote 0

figmentmom

As long as you realize ahead of time that your Disney trip will center around your little one's attention span and needs, you'll have a great time! Our youngest was in kindergarten on our first trip, but I have observed many families with little ones over the years. The folks having the most fun were the ones taking their time and not rushing frantically from attraction to attraction.

You can take your toddler on every ride in Fantasyland; Philharmagic is LOUD but lots of fun, so you will have to use your judgment on that one. Personally, I think Pirates and the Haunted Mansion are a bit much for really little kids - too scary and realistic! - but you know your little one lots better than I do!:lol:

Have a great trip! :wave:

Upvote 0

GenerationX

The first year we went our youngest son was 23 months. In addition to the rides already mentioned, he loved Buzz. His favorite attractions were the ones he could explore - the playgrounds:
MK - Tom Sawyer Island (and now there's Pooh's Playful Spot - perfect for toddlers!)
Ep - with the Viking Ship and Wonder's of Life closed, ????
DS - Honey, I Shrunk the Playground
AK - Boneyard.

All have only one exit. All are a lot of fun for toddlers and grade school kids. :)

Upvote 0

IwishIliveinWDW

We took our daughter for her second birthday in October and then right after for the marathon. The biggest take-away was get a great lightweight stroller. First trip we lugged a beast and since she hated that stroller. Since I ended up doing all the pushing, carrying and lugging, I made sure we got a good one for the follow up trip.

Upvote 0

davewasbaloo

Taking Toddlers is a blast

We are going to WDW in November and our kids will be 3.5 (Mikey) and 18 (Jessica) months. I can't wait. Mikey has been to Disneyland Paris 5 times, his first trip was age 3 months, and Jess has been twice, first trip at 5 months. WE had the best times of our 44 DLP trips, since having the kids.

I know we won't do as much as other WDW trips in the past before kids, but the key is to plan in half days. If you are prepared to take it slow, you will have a great time. Don't rush around and lose your temper. Once the kids have had enough, take time out.

For a 19 month old, I would recommend the following:

MK
Train
Jungle Cruise
Tiki Room (if they don't mind the dark)
PotC - my kids love this, others hate it.
Country Bears
HM - my kids love this, others hate it.
Everything in Fantasyland
Buzz
TTA

Epcot
Spaceship Earth
Imagination
The Seas
The Land
Universe of Energy
Rio del Tiempo
The live shows in World Showcase

MGM
Playhouse Disney
Beauty and the Beast
Honey I Shrunk the Kids Playground

DAK
Kilemenjaro Safari
Pengani Forest
Maharaja Jungle Trek
All the shows
Rafiki's Planet Watch and Affection Section

Have a great time

Upvote 0

mouselvrmom

We took our youngest when she was both 11 months & 23 months. We were very surprised at how well she did both times. In addition to the many rides she was able to go on that she loved, I was surprised by how much she really enjoyed just the general goings on in the day. She adored the characters. The furrier and bigger the better! There is so much to take in that she just seemed in awe the whole time. She loved the character meals. On her first trip we did CP & she loved pooh and piglet. However, on her last trip she refused to ride in her stroller. She is very independent & she insisted on walking along with us. We had a 5 & 3 year old who wanted to ride, but our little one insisted she could walk! :) Kind of slowed us down a lot, but it was so cute to see that tiny child in her minnie costume & minnie hat toddling along.:lol:

Upvote 0

VeRTiGo91

We took our then 19 month old on Dumbo and Small World, and loved it. She laughed during Muppetvision 3-D, danced at the Tiki Tiki Room, and somehow slept through It's Tough To Be A Bug...go figure!

She also enjoyed Kiillamanjaro Safari, Maharaja Jungle Trek, and Rafiki's Planet Watch and Affection Section.

She was a little frightened with meeting some of the characters though, especially Mickey at the Judge's Tent. I'd use my best judgement.

But enjoy it! Just remember the look in his eyes when he sees the castle for the first time! Truly magic!!

V

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom