T-Rex: What to order...Help me get psyched!!!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I was planning on Kouzzina for our first night dinner, but DH wants to head to DTD and suggested T-Rex. So, I swapped out ADRs and now I'm trying to get myself psyched...which is proving to be a bit of a challenge. We just have so many Landry's based restaurants locally- probably b/c Tilman Fertitta is local, so I keep feeling like we're going to be getting food comparable to things we can get here. The dinosaurs are really what's keeping me going since we don't have one of those here, but my brain keeps drawing Rainforest Cafe comparisons with the food. Don't get me wrong- I like RFC and I know the menus are different...I think my palate just keeps searching for some frame of reference.

So what do you like at T-Rex?

maryszhi

this site, and allears.net have the menu. the food is ok, i think the drinks are what good as well. just get what you are in the mood for and you should be fine. its very much like the rainforest cafe with dinos :)
hope this helps :)
also if you want the wolfgang puck cafe has take out/ qucick service and is amazing and not that expensive.

disney magic 06

T-Rex is ok, but when I've been I have found the food to be slightly inferior to Rainforest. It was also this year very cold in there. I had a chicken & rib combo which was ok but stone cold before I'd finished. The dino theming is great if you have any prehistoric fans with you!
Personally I prefer Wolfgang Puck Express.

maryszhi

T-Rex is ok, but when I've been I have found the food to be slightly inferior to Rainforest. It was also this year very cold in there. I had a chicken & rib combo which was ok but stone cold before I'd finished. The dino theming is great if you have any prehistoric fans with you!
Personally I prefer Wolfgang Puck Express.
i especially think wolfgang's prices are reasonable, and the food taste and quality is amazing !

KCKAS

i am going to t-rex for the 1st time in september as well, and i was not looking forward to it that much either. this thread does not look very promising. you wanted ideas for food and mostly people are suggesting a different restaurant. i will wait a little longer but that is very telling. maybe i need to think about eating somewhere else.

muteki

We really like T-rex and it is our go-to place for dinner the first night as we typically get in ~5pm and go to DTD.

We like it better than Rainforest, enjoy the scenery a little bit better, its easier to get into, and find the food to be better too.

Comparing the two, both will give you decent food that's far more expensive than it should be, but we like T-rex.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
If you are going to T-Rex I would suggest ordering ear plugs. The place is so load that you can not even hear yourself talk. I will never go back there again.

MagicMike

The dinosaurs are really what's keeping me going since we don't have one of those here

That is really the only reason. It's a fun restaurant to take little ones, or if nothing else, just to cross it off your personal Disney bucket list. The "Colosso Nachos" are always good. (Come to think of it, Nachos from anywhere are good)

WithAnX

I was planning on Kouzzina for our first night dinner, but DH wants to head to DTD and suggested T-Rex. So, I swapped out ADRs and now I'm trying to get myself psyched...which is proving to be a bit of a challenge. We just have so many Landry's based restaurants locally- probably b/c Tilman Fertitta is local, so I keep feeling like we're going to be getting food comparable to things we can get here. The dinosaurs are really what's keeping me going since we don't have one of those here, but my brain keeps drawing Rainforest Cafe comparisons with the food. Don't get me wrong- I like RFC and I know the menus are different...I think my palate just keeps searching for some frame of reference.

Well, I agree with a previous responder about the noise...that alone was enough to make me not want to go back. I had the big burger (I forget what it's called) and it was really undercooked compared to what I asked for. So I didn't really have a great experience. I would really suggest going to more Disney-specific restaurants, or at least not as prevelant as those commonly owned ones. Wolfgang Puck is grea.

Sean

disneynut4u

We loved T-Rex. I had the chicken fried steak last year (it's huge! plan to share!) It was good. I had lasagne this year. Loved it. I split the chicken & rib combo with my dad a couple years ago and it was also good. Dad loved the ribs.

BUT hands down, you gotta get the chocolate extinction & cottontini!! I will try to post pictures later.

DisneyDebNJ

The Supersaurus Sampler is unbelievable. Something for everyone. Yes, it's loud, and about the same as Rainforest Cafe, however, this is the place to feed a hungry family. The sampler and a burger, you're good to go, plus the Chocolate Extinction for dessert, WOW!!!!

MissingDisney

It's nothing special in the food category, sorry to disappoint. Appetizer sampler is a great meal in itself and offers a variety. That's about as best as you'll do. WPE is far superior in food. TRex is very very loud. My kids even complained about the noise but I suppose dinos are noisy. The atmosphere/theming is cool though. A nice change from RFC. Just go with an open mind and enjoy. If you don't like it, no biggie. Enjoy!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
The chocolate extinction does look good. I'm hoping they can make a nut free/safe version w/o the Butterfinger crumbs. If not- meteor bites sound good.

I would probably jump at the chance to do any of the Wolfgang Puck spots...love his food, but DH not so much. We have tried 4 different WP spots and DH is just never happy...even with some of the more upscale ones. :( So, considering the history...I don't think he'd go for it. I was initially looking at Raglan Road, but the handful of botched food allergy stories I've read scare the living daylights out of me.

Thanks for the suggestions and opinions. :)

FLYbyNITE

I

I suggest doing what we did the first time we went, go for the wonderful visual experience and worry about the food secondary. We found the food alot better than expected and now go every year. Never a bad meal, never a bad server, and never a bad wait (we always have ADR's). Happy to see it on the Dining plan because this was the only restaurant I was paying out of my pocket after buying the DDP, and I wasn't complaining.

Beholder

Food may not be amazing, but it's not bad. It's the atmosphere that's the draw. We had a small soccer team in there a couple of years back, and we had a great time. Kids obviously love it. I'm a dinosaur geek so I enjoy that kind if thing, even if it's over the top.

I had a Philly cheese steak and it was pretty good. As someone earlier said, the drinks are pretty good.

worldfanatic

I'll admit I'm a bit of a WDW Signature Restaurant snob.
But with that said, I love T-Rex!
Great atmosphere with large portions of good food.
It may not be an actual "Disney" restaurant, but you definitely feel like your at Disney World when you're in there.
I think Downtown Disney and T-Rex are a perfect way to start your vacation!

DDuckFan130

We've given RC many chances and just went to T-Rex for my family's first time and my second time. One thing both places certainly have in common is the service. Took them forever just to get our drink order (all sodas) and then another eternity to get them to us.

However, we did agree we liked the food better at T-Rex. We were in the ice age room which was pretty cool!

gccgrad1996

We usually drive to Disney and arrive in Orlando the day before we check in at our Disney resort. We stay off site the one night to save a little money and go to Downtown Disney for the afternoon and diner. We would usually eat at Rainforest but when T-Rex opened we decided to try it in 2009. My girls loved it and it has now become our restaurant of choice for our first day arrival. The food is similar to Rain Forest, so I am not going to say it knocked my socks off, but it was good. My daughters loved the chocolate extinction. We will be eating there next Thursday for the third time, and my daughters can't wait.
I have not tired Kouzzina, but a girlfriend of mine did and was not impressed. It could have been an off night, because I have heard nice things about it and so did she. Which is why she went there, but she said she would not go again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom