T-Rex: What to order...Help me get psyched!!!

Phonedave

I was suprised by the food at T-Rex. I can't stand Rainforest, so I was waiting for more of the same dreck.

Ribs were suprisingly good. Burger was OK, if not insanely messy. Lasagna was not bad.

Skip dessert. Frozen chocolate cake with molten goo inside and cheap ice cream on top, or a selection of stale Dunkin Donuts munchkins with a cup of Hershey's Syrup to dip them in. I'll pass.

-dave

RonAnnArbor

Let me be the voice of reason here....unless you have kids under 13 in your group, there is absolutely no reason to dine at T-Rex. I had one dinner there. It was bland. It was so noisy you couldn't even hear your server speak. And the food was awful. Portions were good, though. Service was very slow. Decor is what it is, and its underwhelming. Except for the noise, which is overwhelming.
In DTD the only restaurant I go to anymore is Raglan Road -- superior food, superior service, and fun.
Granted, if I had a couple kids in tow, T-Rex or RainCaf would certainly be draws. I would simply put my foot down and say no way and take them to Raglan Road.
But as you can see from the posts in this thread, different strokes for different folks.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I was suprised by the food at T-Rex. I can't stand Rainforest, so I was waiting for more of the same dreck.

Ribs were suprisingly good. Burger was OK, if not insanely messy. Lasagna was not bad.

Skip dessert. Frozen chocolate cake with molten goo inside and cheap ice cream on top, or a selection of stale Dunkin Donuts munchkins with a cup of Hershey's Syrup to dip them in. I'll pass.

-dave

That's very encouraging...at least for the entrees. We're considering doing this one OOP, so dessert (which is not DH's thing anyway) may not be something that has to factor in. Thanks!

Let me be the voice of reason here....unless you have kids under 13 in your group, there is absolutely no reason to dine at T-Rex. I had one dinner there. It was bland. It was so noisy you couldn't even hear your server speak. And the food was awful. Portions were good, though. Service was very slow. Decor is what it is, and its underwhelming. Except for the noise, which is overwhelming.
In DTD the only restaurant I go to anymore is Raglan Road -- superior food, superior service, and fun.
Granted, if I had a couple kids in tow, T-Rex or RainCaf would certainly be draws. I would simply put my foot down and say no way and take them to Raglan Road.
But as you can see from the posts in this thread, different strokes for different folks.

We do have young kids in the party (will be 4 & 6 @ travel time) so unless they're terrified of the dinos, they'd probably enjoy the theme. I wanted to do Raglan Road, but I've just read too many serious issues with their handling of food allergies that I'm not willing to risk bringing DD5. An EpiPen injection and a trip to the ER is not how I want to start the trip. Who knows- maybe we'll take the girls to Sandcastle Club one night and DH can make our way down there. Thanks!

real mad hatter

Well Iam just back from WDW on Monday and had a ADR at T- Rex,we were in the Ice Blue cave room at the back and it wasn't too loud at all. The three of us,2 adults and 1 teenage son shared the onion rings,very good and plenty of them,my DS had the New York strip and DW had steak & shrimp combo,I opted for the T - Bone,the only thing none of us liked was the waffle fries,ugh!DW and I had a cocktail each with the Souviner glass and they were strong and very good.All in all we had a enjoyable time and the theming is awesome,but that's the reason most people go,not for fine dining.

muteki

We will be heading there in the fall and this will be the first time they have accepted the DDP and we have it. Has anyone seen what on the T-Rex menu constitutes as and "entree" in DDP terms? Would we be able to get an appetizer (like the nachos, which we really like) or salad and use that as our "entree"?

bluejasmine

I was planning on Kouzzina for our first night dinner, but DH wants to head to DTD and suggested T-Rex. So, I swapped out ADRs and now I'm trying to get myself psyched...which is proving to be a bit of a challenge. We just have so many Landry's based restaurants locally- probably b/c Tilman Fertitta is local, so I keep feeling like we're going to be getting food comparable to things we can get here. The dinosaurs are really what's keeping me going since we don't have one of those here, but my brain keeps drawing Rainforest Cafe comparisons with the food. Don't get me wrong- I like RFC and I know the menus are different...I think my palate just keeps searching for some frame of reference.

So what do you like at T-Rex?

Trex is one our must dos. Typically its how we start each trip! We dont care thats its loud, Its a lot of fun! My DH always gets the chicken fried steak, its HUGE and delicous and Im not a chicken fried steak fan. I normally get something off appy menu for my meal, I LOVE the footprints flat bread but its HUGE as well, perfect to share with someone. The cottonini is a must do for me as well! We have eatten at both Trex and RFC and while a lot off ppl say there is no difference in the food we like Trex food better. Now this trip we will have lunch at Trex and then that evening (its a DTD day for us) will just have cocktails and share an appy for dinner since the food is so filling at Trex. I say try it out, I wasnt so thrilled about going the first time but we have been back a few times a yr since then..,

Rinx

I absolutely hate T-Rex. It's extremely loud and overdone. The food is well under par in terms of quality for the price and the whole experience is just obnoxious. Never ever again.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Well Iam just back from WDW on Monday and had a ADR at T- Rex,we were in the Ice Blue cave room at the back and it wasn't too loud at all. The three of us,2 adults and 1 teenage son shared the onion rings,very good and plenty of them,my DS had the New York strip and DW had steak & shrimp combo,I opted for the T - Bone,the only thing none of us liked was the waffle fries,ugh!DW and I had a cocktail each with the Souviner glass and they were strong and very good.All in all we had a enjoyable time and the theming is awesome,but that's the reason most people go,not for fine dining.

Well first off- Welcome Back!!! That's really the perspective I'm trying to use here- that we're mainly doing this for the atmosphere. We've gotten the souvenir glasses at RFC and found them to hold up pretty well, so very good to know that the ones for the fun drinks at T-Rex are comparable. Also happy to hear the onion rings are good. I just love good onion rings :D I'm really glad to hear it was a positive experience.

Trex is one our must dos. Typically its how we start each trip! We dont care thats its loud, Its a lot of fun! My DH always gets the chicken fried steak, its HUGE and delicous and Im not a chicken fried steak fan. I normally get something off appy menu for my meal, I LOVE the footprints flat bread but its HUGE as well, perfect to share with someone. The cottonini is a must do for me as well! We have eatten at both Trex and RFC and while a lot off ppl say there is no difference in the food we like Trex food better. Now this trip we will have lunch at Trex and then that evening (its a DTD day for us) will just have cocktails and share an appy for dinner since the food is so filling at Trex. I say try it out, I wasnt so thrilled about going the first time but we have been back a few times a yr since then..,

I could also see my DH ordering chicken fried steak. I'll have to recommend it to him. Glad to hear your experiences have been good enough for you to make repeat visits. Thanks! :)

I absolutely hate T-Rex. It's extremely loud and overdone. The food is well under par in terms of quality for the price and the whole experience is just obnoxious. Never ever again.

And this is what I fear. I've seen enough "never agains" that I start getting scared. Still good to hear those with negative experiences since it preps me for the possibilities. Thanks!

bmarkelon

We're eating there for the 2nd time on our upcoming trip. The kids really wanted to go back, they loved it. I had the Footprints Flatbread there, it's an appetizer but it was really good. I recommended it another friend for their trip and they liked it a lot too. Cheddar, Mozzerella, Parmesan and Goat Cheeses, rotisserie chicken and carmelized onions with a balsamic glaze.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
We're eating there for the 2nd time on our upcoming trip. The kids really wanted to go back, they loved it. I had the Footprints Flatbread there, it's an appetizer but it was really good. I recommended it another friend for their trip and they liked it a lot too. Cheddar, Mozzerella, Parmesan and Goat Cheeses, rotisserie chicken and carmelized onions with a balsamic glaze.

Well that sounds quite yummy! Now I'm having a sudden craving for goat cheese. YUM!!! Thanks for the suggestion!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom