Swiss Family Treehouse closed for refurbishment 6th July 2016 - 24th September 2016.

willtravel

Goodnight, I hope those who are sticking up for this attraction are in the minority of the general public, how many times can 1 person go through the tree house and still be entertained? I think once or twice a year is good for me, and that's only me going through hoping to see something new/renovated which is highly unlikely. The only thing I can think of that would make this attraction work is to just use the house as a queue line for something else, like say a new ride/attraction!!!
I can say this about many attractions at WDW. After the first time they are all repetitive.

Brian Swan

Goodnight, I hope those who are sticking up for this attraction are in the minority of the general public, how many times can 1 person go through the tree house and still be entertained? I think once or twice a year is good for me, and that's only me going through hoping to see something new/renovated which is highly unlikely. The only thing I can think of that would make this attraction work is to just use the house as a queue line for something else, like say a new ride/attraction!!!
My heart goes out to you that you find this gentle attraction boring and can only do it once or twice a year. For those of us who only get to WDW once every 2 or 3 or 5 years, it's a rather pleasant addition and a nostalgic reminder of our first visits to the park in the 70s and 80s.

21stamps

I don't think the majority of travelers go to WDW once or twice per year. It's a nice break from over stimulation and flashing lights.
It is way to much work to actually use ones imagination. That was the demise of many attractions like Sound Dangerous, for example. Young kids still only slightly exposed to electronic media, still possess imagination.

I'm sorry if I bore anyone, but, I remember sitting at our kitchen table with a coloring book listening to the radio with three of my favorite shows. The Lone Ranger, Superman and The Green Hornet. I heard the dialog and my brain created all the most elaborate scenery that was possible. It was just as exciting as actually having to be shown everything in order to enjoy it. Maybe it's a lost art that we might want to consider getting back again. We sure don't show much imagination in everyday life anymore and just prefer that someone else tell us how we should think about things.
I agree. Ok, well I don't remember the radio part. But as I said above, I don't think everything needs to be electronic to be interesting. The tree house is such a nostalgic treat, and even for kids who haven't seen the movie- it allows them to use their own imagination to create a story, as well as allowing us to share a story with them. I think it's sad that people would think this "wasn't enough of an attraction to hold someone's interest."

21stamps

My heart goes out to you that you find this gentle attraction boring and can only do it once or twice a year. For those of us who only get to WDW once every 2 or 3 or 5 years, it's a rather pleasant addition and a nostalgic reminder of our first visits to the park in the 70s and 80s.
People underestimate the power of nostalgia. It's not a coincidence that Star Wars is being released again when all/most of the people who grew up on it now have children of our own to pass the obsession to.lol

Goofyernmost

I agree. Ok, well I don't remember the radio part. But as I said above, I don't think everything needs to be electronic to be interesting. The tree house is such a nostalgic treat, and even for kids who haven't seen the movie- it allows them to use their own imagination to create a story, as well as allowing us to share a story with them. I think it's sad that people would think this "wasn't enough of an attraction to hold someone's interest."
The best part about being a kid is that they are able to put themselves into their mental picture. You cannot do that if you are just watching a show with actors. I know I was always there in those stories riding the horses with Gene Autry or helping to beat up the bad guys that I was imagining in my mind.

Goofyernmost

The tree house is part of the scope of Adventureland, in total an Adventureland that felt exotic back in the day before the Magic Carpets were added.
The thing about the tree house which will almost guarantee a long life is the limited expense and maintenance needed to keep it going. I'll bet that in the 40+ years it has existed, it has not often needed a long term shut down. Light maintenance and occasional cleaning is all that is necessary. If I remember correctly, the only real moving parts were the water scooper and that has only worked periodically. Otherwise a CM or two at the entrance, and the rest is up to you to look at understand and move on.

Dizney Crew

LOL, I love seeing all the fanboys stick up for this attraction!! As a kid growing up in the 80's and going to Disney all the time as a kid, even back then I wasn't a fan of this, and that was when I was a target age for this attraction.To think people think the TomorrowLand Speedway is a bigger waste of space is mind blowing to me, that was and still is one of my MK favs, but to each there own.

Herbie

LOL, I love seeing all the fanboys stick up for this attraction!! As a kid growing up in the 80's and going to Disney all the time as a kid, even back then I wasn't a fan of this, and that was when I was a target age for this attraction.To think people think the TomorrowLand Speedway is a bigger waste of space is mind blowing to me, that was and still is one of my MK favs, but to each there own.

There's nothing futuristic about the Speedway, while the tree (and film) are very symbolic of the adventure theme, and I can't imagine most replacements would be.

Goofyernmost

Gee, thanks for letting us have our opinion. It's to bad you had to use the Fanboy label which is beyond ridiculous. Stick up for what, an innocent attraction that tells a story and doesn't require massive motors and loud music to possible be calmly entertaining. You didn't like it... don't go to it. You like something that I don't like... you go to that. I promise I won't call you a "fanboy" because you happen to enjoy it, however, you did stick up for Tomorrowland Speedway, sooo.

Dizney Crew

There's nothing futuristic about the Speedway, while the tree (and film) are very symbolic of the adventure theme, and I can't imagine most replacements would be.

Granted the Speedway is anything but futuristic, but where it sits to me on the outskirts of TL, isn't that big a deal. I think the Speedway has a more retro/nostalgia feel than the Treehouse. Also how many kids, and I'm saying kids as in born after 2000, (these seem to be Disney's biggest target audience) have ever heard of or seen Swiss Family Robinson? I doubt very many.

Disney could easily revamp the treehouse to fit in line with a Pirates theme that kids today would instantly recognize, Jake or Jack Sparrow come to mind? Even a theming like this would be something better than the way it sits now.

FigmentForver96

Granted the Speedway is anything but futuristic, but where it sits to me on the outskirts of TL, isn't that big a deal. I think the Speedway has a more retro/nostalgia feel than the Treehouse. Also how many kids, and I'm saying kids as in born after 2000, (these seem to be Disney's biggest target audience) have ever heard of or seen Swiss Family Robinson? I doubt very many.

Disney could easily revamp the treehouse to fit in line with a Pirates theme that kids today would instantly recognize, Jake or Jack Sparrow come to mind? Even a theming like this would be something better than the way it sits now.
Nobody born after 2000 would know what Song of the South is but yet they line up for Splash Mountain all day long. Of course that's Apple and oranges really, but the point about being a recognizable franchise that is current means nothing.

That said, the treehouse embodies what sets Disney apart from other places like Universal, Sea World ect. They have the ability to tell stories in different kinds of ways through different kinds of experinces. Some involve fast blasts through space and others are a walk into the treetops of a house built by a family. Both of these experinces make Disney, Disney.

Dizney Crew

Gee, thanks for letting us have our opinion. It's to bad you had to use the Fanboy label which is beyond ridiculous. Stick up for what, an innocent attraction that tells a story and doesn't require massive motors and loud music to possible be calmly entertaining. You didn't like it... don't go to it. You like something that I don't like... you go to that. I promise I won't call you a "fanboy" because you happen to enjoy it, however, you did stick up for Tomorrowland Speedway, sooo.

Nothing wrong with a Fanboy comment, your a fan, great enjoy. I wouldn't go as far to say I'm a "Fanboy" of the Speedway, like it yes, love it, meh wouldn't go that far. Honestly I wouldn't say I absolutely LOVE 1 single attraction at WDW, I enjoy them all for the most part really, just the Treehouse and Tom Sawyer Island are to me the biggest waste of space in the park, and I highly doub't the general public would miss either.

FigmentForver96

Nothing wrong with a Fanboy comment, your a fan, great enjoy. I wouldn't go as far to say I'm a "Fanboy" of the Speedway, like it yes, love it, meh wouldn't go that far. Honestly I wouldn't say I absolutely LOVE 1 single attraction at WDW, I enjoy them all for the most part really, just the Treehouse and Tom Sawyer Island are to me the biggest waste of space in the park, and I highly doub't the general public would miss either.
I'm sure the "general public" wouldn't mind a lot of things. In fact the "general public" probably doesn't mind Frozen in Norway at Epcot, yet that doesn't change the fact it doesnt belong there (Not here for another Frozen debate). Once again it comes back to the Disney Difference. Disney did things above and beyond that the regular guest wouldn't notice because it added to the overall experince. But we're getting off topic...

The treehouse isn't the most groundbreaking experince but it's a different experince and I go to Disney looking for different kinda of experinces. From coasters to boat rides to walkthrough and trails.

Dizney Crew

Nobody born after 2000 would know what Song of the South is but yet they line up for Splash Mountain all day long. Of course that's Apple and oranges really, but the point about being a recognizable franchise that is current means nothing.

That said, the treehouse embodies what sets Disney apart from other places like Universal, Sea World ect. They have the ability to tell stories in different kinds of ways through different kinds of experinces. Some involve fast blasts through space and others are a walk into the treetops of a house built by a family. Both of these experinces make Disney, Disney.

Agree 100% about Splash Mtn. Kids have no clue what movie its based off, but at least they have characters singing and dancing throughout the ride. The Treehouse has nothing as far as a theme/characters to get a younger generation interested. Heck even a Jake sword or a Capt. Jack hat somewhere would be more entertaining to see than pretty much nothing the way it sits now.

Dizney Crew

I'm sure the "general public" wouldn't mind a lot of things. In fact the "general public" probably doesn't mind Frozen in Norway at Epcot, yet that doesn't change the fact it doesnt belong there (Not here for another Frozen debate). Once again it comes back to the Disney Difference. Disney did things above and beyond that the regular guest wouldn't notice because it added to the overall experince. But we're getting off topic...

The treehouse isn't the most groundbreaking experince but it's a different experince and I go to Disney looking for different kinda of experinces. From coasters to boat rides to walkthrough and trails.

I know WDW isn't your average park, I don't go there for thrills. The $$$ it cost to get into WDW is ridiculous and that's what I think annoys me about the Treehouse. I'm going for a DISNEY experience meaning I want to see 1 of 100's of recognizable characters that they have in their library and sorry the Swiss Family Robinson bunch doesn't even crack the top 500!! Sorry this attraction gets an F- in my book for a true "Disney" experience. If this was in any other park I would prob give it a pass, just not WDW, sorry I don't consider this A list material and a must see. Heck I don't even know if or when its open cause I never see anyone on it, that should tell you something about this attraction.

Herbie

Interesting. I feel the treehouse admittedly reeks of nostalgia, which is one of its charms.

I was born in '96, and the special edition DVD was released in 2002, so maybe a few... it's so easy to underestimate the kids of today (I'm guilty of it, too).

I don't personally care for the conversion idea... Tarzan was great, but I never wanted to explore that world. Unless it's a Shanghai
style attraction, Pirates receives enough fanfare, while classic Disney doesn't really (fun fact, Swiss was one of, if not the, highest grossing film of 1960, and adjusted for today, earned around almost $500 million)... Jake hasn't really penetrated the pop culture.

If it must go, just destroy it, but you might have to destroy at least a part of the Jungle Cruise along with it to gain anything substantial.

Goofyernmost

That was my point. Unfortunately, the use of the word Fanboy has been made into an insult by some of our more illustrious posters. To like something is not a Fanboy thing in the sense that it is used on the boards. But you did word it that if someone liked the Tree house, they were Fanboys and stuck up for something that really doesn't need to be stuck up for so I doubt that was the intent. I have the same sentiment for the Tree as you have for the Speedway. It's something that I am glad is there and I even go up it once in awhile, but, a fan per say... no just a person that thinks that there should be a variety in the parks. Not everyone likes the same things and there should be something there for everyone and they shouldn't have to feel ridiculed for liking something that someone else doesn't.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
The thing about the tree house which will almost guarantee a long life is the limited expense and maintenance needed to keep it going. I'll bet that in the 40+ years it has existed, it has not often needed a long term shut down. Light maintenance and occasional cleaning is all that is necessary. If I remember correctly, the only real moving parts were the water scooper and that has only worked periodically. Otherwise a CM or two at the entrance, and the rest is up to you to look at understand and move on.
Recap time.

Reasons to keep the Treehouse:
- not expensive to run
- not expensive to maintain
- small footprint; nothing other than another spinner would fit there
- removal would impinge on the Jungle Cruise
- tells a story without the use of screens, animatronics, flashing lights, or loud noises
- high nostalgic factor

Reasons to remove the Treehouse:
- new guy @Dizney Crew doesn't like it

FigmentForver96

I know WDW isn't your average park, I don't go there for thrills. The $$$ it cost to get into WDW is ridiculous and that's what I think annoys me about the Treehouse. I'm going for a DISNEY experience meaning I want to see 1 of 100's of recognizable characters that they have in their library and sorry the Swiss Family Robinson bunch doesn't even crack the top 500!! Sorry this attraction gets an F- in my book for a true "Disney" experience. If this was in any other park I would prob give it a pass, just not WDW, sorry I don't consider this A list material and a must see. Heck I don't even know if or when its open cause I never see anyone on it, that should tell you something about this attraction.
Once again, and I do not mean to sound like a broken record on this but the "Disney" experince is more then the top 500 recognizable ideas. This is what makes things like Animal Kingdom so great and what made EPCOT Center the true marvel it was. They both rely on themes and ideas outside the belief that IPS are Disney. Even Walt Disney himself would create shows about science, discovery and wonder. Not just the latest film or movie.

I get where you are coming from about the movie beig old. I doesn't take up that much space so replacing it with an actual ride is next to impossible unless you remove some of the Jungle Cruise and I don't feel that's something they want to mess with.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom