Swimming in Disney's lakes

stalkingmickey

Original Poster
All you have ever wanted to know about Naegleria....

What is Naegleria?

Naegleria is an ameba commonly found in the environment, in water and soil. Only one species of Naegleria has been found to infect humans, Naegleria fowleri .
Where is Naegleria found?

Naegleria fowleri is found worldwide. Most commonly, the ameba is found in
  • Warm bodies of fresh water, such as lakes, rivers, and hot springs
  • Warm water discharge from industrial plants
  • Under-chlorinated swimming pools
  • Soil
How common is Naegleria infection?

Although Naegleria is commonly found in the environment, infection occurs rarely.
Only 24 infections were documented in the U.S. between 1989 and 2000.
When is Naegleria most common?

Infection with Naegleria is most common during the dry, summer months, when the temperature is above 80 ° F and the water is warm and water levels are low.
How does infection with Naegleria occur?

Infection with Naegleria occurs when the ameba enters the body through the nose while the person is swimming underwater or diving. The ameba then travels to the brain and spinal cord.
What are the signs and symptoms of Naegleria infection?

Infection with Naegleria causes the disease primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), a brain inflammation, which leads to the destruction of brain tissue.
Initial signs and symptoms of PAM include headache, fever, nausea, vomiting, and stiff neck. As the ameba causes more extensive destruction of brain tissue this leads to confusion, lack of attention to people and surroundings, loss of balance and bodily control, seizures, hallucinations. The disease progresses rapidly and infection usually results in death within 3 to 7 days.
Is there treatment for infection with Naegleria?

Several drugs are effective against Naegleria in the laboratory. However, although a variety of treatments have been used to treat infected persons, their effectiveness is unclear since most infections have still been fatal. Prompt diagnosis and treatment may help.
Can infection be spread from person to person?

No. Naegleria infection cannot be spread from person to person contact.
How can I prevent an infection with Naegleria?

• Avoid swimming or jumping into bodies of warm fresh water
  • Avoid swimming in thermally polluted water (water around power plants)
  • Do not swim in areas posted as "no swimming."
  • Hold the nose shut or use nose clips when jumping or diving into bodies of fresh water.
  • Hold the nose shut or use nose clips when jumping or diving into bodies of fresh water.
For further information on protecting yourself from recreational water illnesses, go to www.healthyswimming.org .
Can I get Naegleria infection from a swimming pool?

No. You cannot get Naegleria infection from a swimming pool as long as the pool is properly cleaned, maintained, and chlorinated.

STGRhost

That really isn't the same. You didn't go to madri gras. I asked because there is info out there that the beaches and lakes were used for swimming at a point in time. Actually the Poly tried out a wave machine in the lake but the errosion of the beach was to much.

You're original post asked 1: Why you can no longer swim in the lakes/ponds on Disney property, even though you could previously, and 2: Why the beach chairs, etc, are there. Why are you being so antagonistic towards the posts that explained the answer to the second question?
The truth is that the various chairs, hammocks, boardwalks, paths, bridges, boats, etc are there for theming. They help you to enjoy the feeling of the resorts, and the beach (or whatever), even if you can't go in the water.

f I was a kid I would prefer the pool with the volcano and slide over a beach with nothing to do but lay out and swim.
When I was a kid, many years ago :lookaroun , I can distinctly remember running PAST the (old) volcano pool with the water slide right into the 7 Seas Lagoon. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. And, at the time, the pool was very novel and cool, too.

If I knew there were signs would I be asking if you can swim in the lakes? Maybe you could have put that in your first post instead of the smart comments you have made.
They probably didn't say anything about the signs because it isn't something you asked about originally. You had already established that you knew you can't swim in the lakes - you asked "why?". :shrug:

stalkingmickey

Original Poster
You're original post asked 1: Why you can no longer swim in the lakes/ponds on Disney property, even though you could previously, and 2: Why the beach chairs, etc, are there. Why are you being so antagonistic towards the posts that explained the answer to the second question?
The truth is that the various chairs, hammocks, boardwalks, paths, bridges, boats, etc are there for theming. They help you to enjoy the feeling of the resorts, and the beach (or whatever), even if you can't go in the water.

When I was a kid, many years ago :lookaroun , I can distinctly remember running PAST the (old) volcano pool with the water slide right into the 7 Seas Lagoon. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. And, at the time, the pool was very novel and cool, too.

They probably didn't say anything about the signs because it isn't something you asked about originally. You had already established that you knew you can't swim in the lakes - you asked "why?". :shrug:

first off I am not being antagonstic. I asked about the alge and not being able to swim in the lakes. It took a page of post for someone to actually answer the relationship between the alge and why you can not swim in lakes.

Most people responded about gators. Only one poster actually was being wise about their post. I don't need someone to telling me not to do something if I do not like it. I can make the decision on my own.

Second off, people have posted in this thread that they always swim in the lakes at disney when they stay at the resorts on the lakes. This leads me to believe that it is allowed just not recommended.

Again my question was in relation with the alge problem and why you can;t swim in the lakes with the alge. Master Yoda answered the question I asked. I also wanted to know why if you aren't to swim in the lakes why you can do other activities on the water that can get you just as wet as swimming.

and the beaches were not put there for a theme they were beaches that were used in thepast for swimming.

Sorry if you are bother by my response to two post out of 40. :veryconfu

And if you used to swim in the lake then you are aware that the beaches were not for just the theme but for peole to go swimming as well.:brick:

Mansion Butler

I actually did even think of the gators until you mentioned it:veryconfu

They don't bother me. I have swam in the ocean with sharks. I actually was swimming on a beach on Martha's Vineyard on year when a shark came really close. The creepy part was it was the beach they had filmed jaws on...:lookaroun

I just wanted to get a clear answer on the alge thing.

I'm much more scared of gators in Florida freshwater than I am of sharks in any area of the ocean. Save maybe South Africa.

The gators are freakin' everywhere.

stalkingmickey

Original Poster
I'm much more scared of gators in Florida freshwater than I am of sharks in any area of the ocean. Save maybe South Africa.

The gators are freakin' everywhere.

I agreed gators are pretty scary and the population is out of control

I am not scared of the sharks, just thought it was creepy to be swimming in the ocean right where jaws was filmed and a shark is swimming 10 feet of the beach:(

darthjohnny

I was told that you should not swim in any lakes or ponds in Florida due to some alge in the water that makes you sick.:hurl:

Why do they have sandy beaches with lounge chairs on them if you should not swim in the lakes? I know I don't go to a beach to just sit on the sand. I like to go in the water as well.:drevil:

What about the jet ski's and the parasailing? I've done both and get pretty soaked when jet skiing (is that how you spell it?) and when I have gone parasailing they actually can dunk you in the water and bring you back into the air.

I don't think the algae can make you sick, unless you actually eat it.

You wouldn't want to swim in Disney's Lakes (Bay Lake, Seven Seas Lagoon, the lake by the Epcot resorts, etc...) because of bacteria and pollution.

Not saying that the lakes cannot sustain life, I'm just saying that they aren't guaranteed to be the cleanest in the world.

Why does Disney have beaches near their lakes?

For one, it looks nice, and fits in with the theme (i.e. The Yacht and Beach Club). You can go to the sand and relax there. A lot of people do go to beaches just suntan or sit around for awhile and have a little bit of quiet time.

However, even though Disney has signs saying do not swim in the water, as well as when you rent a boat, they advise diving into the water, they still have water recreation activities in the lake.

The parasailing is probably done by keeping the people on the boat, and reeling them in and out.

There are no jet skis, but I do believe there is some water skiing available. You would then go into the water. It is funny how Disney does let you do that. :lol:

stalkingmickey

Original Poster
I don't think the algae can make you sick, unless you actually eat it.

You wouldn't want to swim in Disney's Lakes (Bay Lake, Seven Seas Lagoon, the lake by the Epcot resorts, etc...) because of bacteria and pollution.

Not saying that the lakes cannot sustain life, I'm just saying that they aren't guaranteed to be the cleanest in the world.

Why does Disney have beaches near their lakes?

For one, it looks nice, and fits in with the theme (i.e. The Yacht and Beach Club). You can go to the sand and relax there. A lot of people do go to beaches just suntan or sit around for awhile and have a little bit of quiet time.

However, even though Disney has signs saying do not swim in the water, as well as when you rent a boat, they advise diving into the water, they still have water recreation activities in the lake.

The parasailing is probably done by keeping the people on the boat, and reeling them in and out.

There are no jet skis, but I do believe there is some water skiing available. You would then go into the water. It is funny how Disney does let you do that. :lol:

Actually the alge go up your nse when you go underwater. and then goes to the brain. See the post I made above from the CDC

Parasailing is usually done by taking off and landing on the back of a boat or from a beach. During my flight I was brought dwon and dunked in the ocean and then brought back up into the air. I took off and landed from the back fo the boat.

There are Jetski's you can rent. I think you rent them from the CR.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Hey I am earning my ears now!!!!!:sohappy:

sorry it seems it took forever to move up.

Seeing as how your question has been answered, I just wanted to say :wave: , next thing you know you'll have a couple thousand, the first 100seem to be the slowest.

You also should get you a good avatar!

stalkingmickey

Original Poster
Seeing as how your question has been answered, I just wanted to say :wave: , next thing you know you'll have a couple thousand, the first 100seem to be the slowest.

You also should get you a good avatar!

I haven't figured out how to make my own. I am not that computer smart. I would love to change it to something great just haven't come up with a good one yet.

MonoRon

Not to mention they're infamous for serpents!

Here is a pic that I took in April at Animal Kingdom...
IMGP0894.jpg

luvthemagic

Ok , now I'm scared.

My husband and I were planning on renting kayaks, but now.....not so sure thats a good idea. He has diabetes and so has some skin redness. What are y'alls thoughts??

thank you

stalkingmickey

Original Poster
Ok , now I'm scared.

My husband and I were planning on renting kayaks, but now.....not so sure thats a good idea. He has diabetes and so has some skin redness. What are y'alls thoughts??

thank you

If its the alge you are worried about I would still rent a kayak. From the info I have found and read as long as you do not go underwater your ok.

Also the info says if you do go under for whatever reason you should hold your nose or use a nose clip.

I guess it is rare for the alge to develop to a point of being able to cause any problems. Of course it can happen, but has been pretty rare.

We plan on still renting the jetski's and maybe parasailing. Although I will not be swiimming in any of the lakes.

So, if you rent one of those little motor boaty things to go around Bay Lake, you're actually going through water that has gators? What, nobody ever fell in?

It's hard to believe that WDW would risk that kind of liability.

VoiceGuy07

This was from a couple of years ago. We were waiting for my wife and daughter while they were riding Splash Mountain. Appears there was a gator hangin' out at the bottom of the hill waiting for snack.

Splash_Mountain_Gator.jpg

Splash_Mountain_Gator_2.jpg

ask!

Is Sammy Duval's water activities safe?????

We planned to do Sammy Duval's tubing/wakeboarding at the Contemporary Marina and now I am worried because of the algea mentioned on this thread....what do you think? Is the water on Bay Lake and SSL safe? Or should I just go to the water parks?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom