swimming at Bay Lake at Contemporary?

calavis

We're staying at the Contemporary Resort this june and were wondering about the lake. I know they don't allow swimming, but I also know my kids will want to be at the beach. Is it absolutely forbidden (because of health issues) to wade in the water? What about the water sports? Why allow those?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.:shrug:

Touchdown

Google the Brain Eating Ameoba. Basically these nasty creatures which exist in every lake and stream in the US are usually inactive but when the water temp goes above 89 degrees they wake up. Although it is rare to contract the disease its almost univeresally fatal. The creatures invade through your nose which is why water sports are ok but swiming is not. Disney doesnt want you taking that chance on their property, stick to the pool.

Upvote 0

SeaCastle

From personal experience, I've never gotten sick from spending any amount of time in the lakes. That being said, I wouldn't go in with a cut or go above chest-height.

Upvote 0

cdunbar

Unfortunately these threads never end well...but Disney has this policy for reason so my best recommendation would be to not swim in it...:wave:

Upvote 0

erstwo

Here's the story about the 3 boys who died in 2007. It's still at the top of the google search for "amoeba florida lakes", so maybe you've already found it.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/09/18/zarrella.killerlakes/index.html

Personally, I wouldn't risk it. But I do want to say that my brother in law is a HUGE wakeboarder and has already made plans to wakeboard during our December trip (at someplace near WDW property, not on it) He did a ton of research and feels he will be safe as long as the water temp is below 80.

Upvote 0

Rob562

And to answer the OP's question about the water sports in Bay Lake, it's OK because the amoeba lives in the sediment at the bottom of the lake, so there isn't a problem in the deeper water where they do skiing, tubing, etc

The problem comes when people are wading or swimming where they can touch bottom and stir up the bottom of the lake.

-Rob

Upvote 0

COProgressFan

I would imagine the kids playing and sticking their feet in the water, or splashing around would be ok, but as others have advised going in all the way may not be a great idea.

The health issue is real, as others have pointed out. However, just to put some perspective into the situation, thousands and thousands of guests of the Poly, Contemporary, and Ft. Wilderness swam in these lakes when it was permitted all throughout the 1970s, 80s, and early 90s (I was one of them!). So while there may be a risk, its certainly not something to panic about.

Upvote 0

Phonedave

And to answer the OP's question about the water sports in Bay Lake, it's OK because the amoeba lives in the sediment at the bottom of the lake, so there isn't a problem in the deeper water where they do skiing, tubing, etc

The problem comes when people are wading or swimming where they can touch bottom and stir up the bottom of the lake.

-Rob

And if you want to be a belt and suspenders type of person, you can also wear nose clips.

-dave

Upvote 0

calavis

Original Poster
great replies

:animwink:thanks for all the valuable info. I did google "brain eating amoeba" and got more info than I wanted. Sounds too dangerous to chance, especially since we're going in June when the lake is no doubt hot.

Upvote 0

Rob562

I would imagine the kids playing and sticking their feet in the water, or splashing around would be ok, but as others have advised going in all the way may not be a great idea.

The health issue is real, as others have pointed out. However, just to put some perspective into the situation, thousands and thousands of guests of the Poly, Contemporary, and Ft. Wilderness swam in these lakes when it was permitted all throughout the 1970s, 80s, and early 90s (I was one of them!). So while there may be a risk, its certainly not something to panic about.

I don't think it was an issue back then. It wasn't until the mid-to-late-90's that the amoeba really proliferated among the freshwater lakes in Florida.

-Rob

Upvote 0

MCC1

If there were people killing ameba everywhere they would not hold a legitimate sanctioned event known as the Ironman 70.3 Florida in which triathletes swim 1.2 miles from the beach of Wilderness Lodge...not saying you should go in the water, but an individual wading is probably more bait for a gator...as they won't go near 1,200 people splashing...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca6YmlZw6gk

Upvote 0

glennatwell1

Not to mention two other women's triathlons in both the first weekend of May and the first weekend of September in which they swim in the very same lake. I seriously doubt that the water ie below 80 in the first weekend of September and there are hundreds of participants who wade into the water before they start the swim. I suspect that, while the amoeba issue does exist, it is a RARE occurrence and the no swimming policy is more of a liability mitigation on behalf of Disney then one of extreme and likely risk of negative impact for guest well being.

Upvote 0

Rob562

Not to mention two other women's triathlons in both the first weekend of May and the first weekend of September in which they swim in the very same lake. I seriously doubt that the water ie below 80 in the first weekend of September and there are hundreds of participants who wade into the water before they start the swim. I suspect that, while the amoeba issue does exist, it is a RARE occurrence and the no swimming policy is more of a liability mitigation on behalf of Disney then one of extreme and likely risk of negative impact for guest well being.

Plus, triathletes are in excellent physical condition. The amoeba typically affects the young and the elderly and anyone with a diminished immune system. A healthy, fully developed immune system can often fight it off. But you're not going to put up signs at the beaches say "OK, adults can swim, but sorry kids, you can't".

-Rob

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom