Swearing in the parks, have you experienced this?

Matt_Black

might be showing my age a bit here, but this thread reminds me of george carlin’s skit of the list of 7 dirty words & eddie murphy’s skit of him talking to bill cosby about using profanity in his act. funny stuff 😂

"If you told me thirty years ago that Bill would be in prison and I'd be the boring dad, even I would have taken that bet."

MonorailCoral

The most swearing I‘ve heard in the parks is during the cheerleader weeks. The larger the group, the louder the swearing. Smoking, too, when that was allowed.
Here's your future, boys! Strong and independent women not even hiding it anymore! If you can't handle them at their worst, you don't deserve their best! Man up!

Matt_Black

See, the trick is to swear without people knowing you're swearing. Other languages are good. Me? I use "The Cant" from the Dungeons & Dragons Planescape setting, and if any barmy sod doesn't twig to that, then they can quit rattlin' their bone-box and pike off!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Here's your future, boys! Strong and independent women not even hiding it anymore! If you can't handle them at their worst, you don't deserve their best! Man up!
I prefer women who are strong and smart enough to express themselves in a socially acceptable manner. I don't want to handle them if they can't woman up.
See, the trick is to swear without people knowing you're swearing. Other languages are good. Me? I use "The Cant" from the Dungeons & Dragons Planescape setting, and if any barmy sod doesn't twig to that, then they can quit rattlin' their bone-box and pike off!
Maybe the trick is to be able to express yourself without swearing.

LastoneOn

I prefer women who are strong and smart enough to express themselves in a socially acceptable manner. I don't want to handle them if they can't woman up.

Maybe the trick is to be able to express yourself without swearing.
Started some movie the other night, whoever wrote it sure was fascinated by their ability to put f*** into just about every sentence. Very boring.

I let a swear word rip last Christmas and didn't even know how bad it was until the entire line went wooo. Someone cut to the front of the line and was allowed on the ride. I called them a name. I apologized to the rest of the line and they all agreed, they were that swear word.

JohnD

Never understood why some words are ok and others are designated bad...poop is ok but the s word isnt...why?? They mean the exact same thing

The Mary Poppins actor, Dick Van is not appropriate to this forum. Nor is saying that you like 1970s carpet.

MaryJaneP

Swearing seems to be also linked to the generations. Older generations almost never swore. It was very shocking if someone did swear. Swearing seemed to increase in each subsequent generation until now, in WDW or elsewhere, nearly every word is a swear-word. It seems harder for some to create a sentence that does NOT have any swear words in it at all. Sometimes it is a wonder what comes outta some mouths, even in WDW with youngsters w/in hearing range. It is more shocking now to hear some generations NOT swear.

Heppenheimer

I can never quite get it when she's explained it to me. I'll just point to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_German_languages Dialect sort of thing, where you're from I guess. Somebody native can probably explain it better.
I haven't followed this thread, but perhaps I can explain...

There's Hochdeutsch (aka, Standard German), which is the neutrally accented form of the language spoken by TV presenters and used as the common literary language. It just so happens to also correspond closely to the natural dialect spoken around the city of Hannover. German speakers will revert to this when speaking to someone from a different accent region, but other than the before-mentioned Hannoverians, most speakers will use a regional accent in their everyday conversation.

The hochdeutsche dialects, though, refer to the various forms of German traditionally spoken in the southern half of the country, all of Austria, the German-speaking areas of Switzerland, Belgium and the almost extinct Alsatian dialects of eastern France. The "hoch" (roughly, "high") here refers simply to the fact that the regions where these dialects were traditionally spoken tended to be mountainous or hilly (as virtually all the German-speaking world is south of the Harz mountains). The term serves as an umbrella for a whole host of dialects and accents that superficially don't sound all that similar, but that's going even deeper than we need to. This hochdeutsche is distinct from Plattdeutsch, or Low German, that was traditionally spoken in the northern, lowland plains of Germany. Modern Dutch can be considered a derivative. Speakers of a hochdeutsche dialect would have particular difficulty understanding a Plattdeutsch dialect (and vice versa) since the two varieties are barely mutually intelligible. The standardized Hochdeutsch would have served as an intermediary for communication.

Now in actuality, other than the Dutch language (which has its own regionally distinct varieties), Plattdeutsch is going extinct as well, whereas many of the hochdeutsche varieties are alive and thriving. So, if you hear a German speaker today, likely you are hearing either a hochdeutsche dialect, or actual Hochdeutsch.

And this is only relevant to the thread if a German in Disney World calls you an Arschloch...

Last edited:

The Mom

Premium Member
Swearing seems to be also linked to the generations. Older generations almost never swore. It was very shocking if someone did swear. Swearing seemed to increase in each subsequent generation until now, in WDW or elsewhere, nearly every word is a swear-word. It seems harder for some to create a sentence that does NOT have any swear words in it at all. Sometimes it is a wonder what comes outta some mouths, even in WDW with youngsters w/in hearing range. It is more shocking now to hear some generations NOT swear.
Actually, they did. But not in public where strangers could hear. They swore a lot among friends.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom