Swan or Dolpin w/Govt emp-teacher rate

csm7030

This is a two part question:

1) Which is a closer walk to Epcot, the Swan or the Dolphin, or is it about the same distance. Given a choice, which would you choose?

2) Has anyone used the Govt employee/teacher discount rate. Mousesavers says you can book it online at starwood.com. I am getting a rate of $165, for October. Does this sound right, or should I call the hotel directly?

Thanks.

gbruenin

The Dolphin is closer, but only by about 75 yards. That would be the walkway between the two hotels, and halfway between them is the boat dock that takes you to either Epcot or MGM. We're not eligible for the govt/teacher rate but if you look at rack rates you'll see its a great rate. A friend of ours booked at the teacher rate a few years ago, so what you received is about the same, taking into account normal rate increases.

If you go for the Dolphin, at the time you book your ressie you may want to consider asking for the 'Epcot view, highest floor'. We did that and had ninth floor on the wing that faces Epcot. The view overlooks the Boardwalk, and we were able to see Illuminations every night that we were back at the hotel. A very nice view to wake up to, also.

Gary

Upvote 0

csm7030

Original Poster
I am close to booking for 4 nights at $165, but it is six months away and I sort want to wait for the AP discounts to come out. Although, even with the best AP rates, $165 will still be much cheaper than any resort within walking distance or monorail to Epcot/MGM/MK. What do you think?

Upvote 0

BeachClubVillas

I'm going to book the Swan or Dolphin with my gov't employee rate for our December trip. I was just looking on their website and found this:

As of May 1, 2006, the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Club Level Lounge and Rooms will be closed. Please contact the hotel for further information.
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/search/hotel_detail.html?propertyID=1018

I find that interesting. Has anyone who has stayed there think one resort is "better" than the other? Thanks for the help

Upvote 0

gbruenin

I don't believe there's a penalty for cancelling a ressie at the Dolphin. I would probably hedge my bet and book the room. You can always shift if a good AP rate comes out for Disney-owned hotels. With an adult AP now at $415 that's a lot of hotel discount to cover unless you look at moderates and value resorts. Dolphin is much more on par with Deluxe.
Gary

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I think that they have a daily fee there of either $10 or $12 that they do not include in the price. I know when I have called to book clients they mentioned it to me. It was either the Swan or the Dolphin, I can't remember which one.

Pam

Upvote 0

csm7030

Original Poster
Kingdom Konsultant said:
I think that they have a daily fee there of either $10 or $12 that they do not include in the price. I know when I have called to book clients they mentioned it to me. It was either the Swan or the Dolphin, I can't remember which one.

Pam

I think they used to have "resort fee" that was dropped at the beginning of the year, but it does appear that they charge for parking. Something like $8 a day. We have always utilized the AP rate and stayed at the value resorts. First the All Stars, but the last 3 or 4 times at Pop Century and we have liked it. Actually, PC has been quite nice with the little pool bar and larger bar area in the food court area.

I am just a little fed up with waiting in line for buses and how long it takes to get from place to place. We like Epcot best to walk around the World Showcase for dinner, some drinks, music, and fireworks nightly. We like the idea of being able to walk to Epcot, take the monorail from Epcot to MK, take a boat or walk to MGM, and only having to drive or take the bus to AK. I just don't know if it's worth like double the price?

Upvote 0

Teenchy

I have only stayed at the Dolphin (Once) and we also had a view to see Epcot. It was very nice. Not as much theming as most Disney resorts but close to a deluxe in style. I cant imagine there is much difference to the Swan & Dolphin. Considering they feel like they are almost connected as one resort. If any two properties could be called "sister properties" this would be it.

Upvote 0

csm7030

Original Poster
Well, the rate was available at the Dolphin, but not the Swan. That weekend is October is a holiday weekend, so I figured I'd better book it now before the Dolphin was no longer available. They require a one night deposit now, but it is fully refundable up until 9/30/06, so if we change our minds no loss. The MNSSHP dates appear to be out, so we may check that out on the 5th or 6th. We saw Hallo-wishes from the Poly last year and they were amazing!

Upvote 0

Mandyhope

I've only stayed at the Swan, and it was pretty nice. We asked if we could have a free upgrade when we checked in and they did it for us. We had a balcony with a view of Epcot. It was really nice for the fireworks! The grotto pool is beautiful and it was nice to be able to walk around the Boardwalk.

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

Yes, the Resort fee was dropped. We stayed at Dolphin once 3 years ago, and will possibly be staying there again this upcoming Christmas...

The Dolphin is more "centrally located" for the services. Most restaurants, ice cream parlors, gift shops, and stores are located inside the Dolphin. The interior main areas always seemed crowded, therefore more busy on the Dolphin side. The Swan side seemed more mellow, and not as elaborate and over the top in grandness.

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The main difference between the Swan and DOlphin rooms is the bed size, the Swan has two queens or a king, and the Dolphin has two doubles or a king. Most of the Swan rooms have two sinks (one in the bathroom and one in a separate vanity area outside the bathroom), the Dolphin only has one sink.

Self parking is $8/day plus tax, valet is $12 for day use, and $14 for overnight parking, plus tax.

Upvote 0

wolf359

I stayed at the Swan back in September on a great teacher rate, I think it was $99 a night. I don't think they're offering rates THAT low now, but I don't think they announced that rate until May last year, so you might want to keep an eye out.

Since I was booking a king bed room the double/queen bed thing wasn't an issue but I chose the Swan because it is a much smaller hotel than the Dolphin, by about half. I did stroll over to look around the Dolphin and I found it to be nice, but much larger and much more crowded than the Swan.

I've heard many people say they are much more adult than the Disney resorts, and I agree. All adults visiting for a convention, it seems. There were always plenty of people milling around the hotel, and all wearing nametags. It's definately a different crowd than seeing people actually happy to be on vacation.

To me the best feature of either hotel is the ability to walk to Epcot or the Boardwalk. And the dirt cheap rate. The room was nice, but NOT as nice as a Disney deluxe resort, and I personally felt the HEAVY business/convention vibe of the hotel was a little off-putting. There is NO way I'd book at either hotel for anywhere near rack rate, but I enjoyed the Swan very much for a hundred bucks a night.

Upvote 0

GoofyMom2

We just got back from an 8 night stay at the Swan and we have also stayed at the Dolphin.

The larger beds and extra sink were a plus feature for us with the 2 kids so we chose the Swan this trip. Both were very busy with conventions and it was near impossible to get into any of the sit downs at either during that time.

The Dolphin has the launderette so keep this in mind if you plan on doing any laundry (yes, I had to go over there......) The new buffeteria at the Dolphin is coming along....it was closed for our stay but will be opening soon with a new theme (carribean) and name ("Picabu").

Both are easy walks to Epcot and Boardwalk. Service was wonderful at both. They share busses to the parks, or the boats to Epcot and MGM. They also share the grotto pool which is fantastic.

We had a balcony with a great view of EE and the Tree of Life (the top).

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
GoofyMom2 said:
The new buffeteria at the Dolphin is coming along....it was closed for our stay but will be opening soon with a new theme (carribean) and name ("Picabu").

Did you notice how close they were to opening? I hadnt heard about this refurb. Thanks :)

Upvote 0

GoofyMom2

wdwmagic said:
Did you notice how close they were to opening? I hadnt heard about this refurb. Thanks :)

All I saw was "opening soon"......but I peeked in and it looked like they were putting on the finishing touches. Saw some repainting of sills etc and decorations are up. Tables/booths are in. It looks very bright and lively. Wish they were open when we were there. I am sorry that I didn't take any pictures for you.........

PS Some signs around the Swan and Dolphin still have Tubbies as the name, but signs pointing the way and signs on the wall say "Picabu".

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

Tubbi's was a really nice place to get food. I'm excited to see how the new changes and taste that food! Hopefully they didnt tamper with those pizzas.

Upvote 0

WDWScottieBoy

Picabu is open and is getting excellent guest reviews.

Also, if there is ever any question on the Swan or Dolphin, please feel free to ask me here or via PM as I am a CM there.

One thing you'll find at the Swan and Dolphin that you won't find at any other Disney resort is Westin's Heavenly Bed. (And that is one of the main reason's I work there, after staying at a Westin in Atlanta, I fell in love with the company.)

Steve summed up the difference between the two. Two queens or two doubles. There is no other difference in the rooms.

Upvote 0

BeachClubVillas

I just booked the Dolphin for Nov 29th - Dec 3rd, with my government employee rate. We're staying there mainly because we want the convenience of being close to Epcot of MGM, without the hefty price tag of the Beach Club. Everything I've heard about the resort looks great. I'm very excited about it.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom