Swan/Dolphin

jozzmenia

I'm just wondering how the Swan/Dolphin hotel is. It has always seemed overpriced to me, but now they're having a special $149 rate for rooms. That's still more than we usually pay. We paid $35 a night on our last trip; we stayed in my uncle's time share the time before that and paid $200 for 1 week; I think we had a $99 rate on a 1-bedroom suite at Caribe Royale the time before that...ANYWAY, we always pay less to stay off site, but it's not because we can't afford to pay more, but rather we feel like our money could be better spent elsewhere (i.e. upgraded rental car, better food, MORE SHOPPING :sohappy::D ) and I've never felt like staying in a Disney hotel was a big priority when you can stay in really nice hotels and resorts for a lot cheaper. However, the way everyone raves about DISNEY resorts, we have been saying we would stay in one eventually. I couldn't in good conscience pay the $200+ a night that the nicer resorts charge - I would just feel wasteful :lookaroun - and I just didn't want to stay in a value resort because they didn't look appealing and I felt that I could find something much nicer for the same price...However, I'm also a sucker for a good deal, and compared to the normal rates, $149 seemed like a really great deal for the Dolphin/Swan so I thought I might go ahead and stay there on the next trip.

ANYWAY...(I'm a rambler if u couldn't tell :hammer:)

All that in consideration, I have 2 questions:

(1) I know the Dolphin/Swan is a "pseudo-Disney" hotel but I'm not really clear on the details. Is it or isn't it a Disney property? What are the Disney amenities/privileges included in staying there?

(2) Do you think that the Dolphin Swan is worth the $149/a night? If so, why?

I know most of you will probably say "yes" but I'm really interested in the
"why". What's so great about that hotel that they charge so much?

OK, thanks in advance for the responses!

jozzmenia

Original Poster
Just one more question...

What, if anything, is the difference between the Swan ad Dolphin? Would I be better choosing one or the other? I like dolphins better than swans...:D

Upvote 0

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
jozzmenia said:
All that in consideration, I have 2 questions:

(1) I know the Dolphin/Swan is a "pseudo-Disney" hotel but I'm not really clear on the details. Is it or isn't it a Disney property? What are the Disney amenities/privileges included in staying there?

(2) Do you think that the Dolphin Swan is worth the $149/a night? If so, why?

I know most of you will probably say "yes" but I'm really interested in the
"why". What's so great about that hotel that they charge so much?

OK, thanks in advance for the responses!

1. The Swan and Dolphin are on Disney Property but they are not operated by Disney. You have all the amenities of a Disney resort (Extra Magic Hours, transportation, they have their own refillable mugs that you can use at the 24 hour buffeteria, Picabu) except you are not able to charge items to your room outside of the resorts.

2. Yes, I like the Swan and Dolphin because of their location. You can easily walk to Epcot and Mgm or take the boat. You are also a very short walk to Fantasia Gardens Mini golf and the boardwalk. The pool is very nice at the Swan and Dolphin too and never seems overly crowded like some of the other Disney resort pools. The Heavenly beds are just that, Heavenly!

3. I prefer the Swan because its smaller than the Dolphin, but they are both very nice.

Here are some reviews to help you with your choice:

Dolphin:
http://reviews.wdwmagic.com//censura.php?cmd=details&itemid=292

Swan:
http://reviews.wdwmagic.com//censura.php?cmd=details&itemid=291

Just for anyone who is not aware, there is a special rate for WDWMagic members at the Swan and Dolphin:
http://swandolphin.com/offers/spring/

:wave:

Upvote 0

MouseearsDeb

Depending on when you are planning on going, keep in mind that Disney is offering their free dining plan. It is, I believe, available Aug. 19-Sept.30. However, you have to book by June 25. I'm not sure if Swan/Dolphin are included. We usually stay offsite at a villa, but have been wanting to stay on site again. The free dining cinched the decision!

I know that Swan/Dolphin are also within walking distance of the Boardwalk, which is pretty neat itself.

Upvote 0

JimboJones123

You do have to pay to park at the hotel every day -- and I don't know if park parking is free either???? That can easily be 20bucks more a day or more. Same if you book off site. Remember 9 bucks comes back to you every time you pull your car through the gate.

Upvote 0

CoffeeJedi

I stayed at the Dolphin on my last visit and rather liked it. I'd say spend the extra money, and just skip the rental car altogether, you'll break even, but have a nicer time.

With their proximity to the Boardwalk and Epcot (both within walking distance), i almost felt like i was staying IN the park. We'd pretty much go wander over to Boardwalk and just hang out after the parks had closed if we weren't going to DTD. The grounds are very nice, the pool is great (it even has several semi-private hot tub alcoves).

There is a <i>slight</i> feel of cold modern sterility in places compared to a WDW property, (luxury item shop, business-amenities, free newspaper) but if you're used to staying off-site, then it will probably seem much warmer to you. Go into the foyer before the lobby at the Dolphin (the room with the waterfalls) and look up! A neat fiber optic trick!

Upvote 0

beyondinfinity

enjoyed our stay

We've stayed both on and off property....at the Dolphin and AK Lodge on property. There are benefits and disadvantages to both. Alot depends on what kind of visitor you are in my opinion.

If you have plenty of time to stay for your trip and can live with being away from the parks where you can make use of the hotel's pool, etc.... it is nice to know you can hop on a bus and go right back when you want.

We like to control when we come and go without having to wait for a bus or boat most of the time so we end up driving our rental car. When we stayed at the Dolphin the boat ride to EPCOT and MGM were nice, but I am the type that wants to be there NOW, whereas my wife is "we'll get there, just enjoy the ride." It is convenient to walk to Disney's Boardwalk from the Dolphin or Swan, as well, which we took advantage of.

One last comment. The trip where we stayed at the Dolphin probably goes down as my favorite of the 7 (soon to be 8 in July) trips that I've taken to WDW in the past three years. A big part of that was waking up with the sun rising over the TOT as we threw open the curtains in our room. The view of MGM was spectacular.....though being with my beuatiful wife for our second anniversary at what would become my favorite place in the world made the trip! ;)

If you're not the type who spends much time at your hotel other than to get a few hours sleep and a shower, I'd strongly recommend staying off-site and saving the expense. (We've found a great place to stay at the Comfort Suites Maingate East in Old Towne - low price for a suite, breakfast included and a pool/jacuzzi that is open 24/7).

Either way, you're at WDW and the details aren't that important. Enjoy each and every day........

Upvote 0

landauh

JimboJones123 said:
You do have to pay to park at the hotel every day -- and I don't know if park parking is free either???? That can easily be 20bucks more a day or more. Same if you book off site. Remember 9 bucks comes back to you every time you pull your car through the gate.

The charge for parking is only if you are visiting the resort for the day, not if you are staying at the resorts.

Also ... both resorts were originally designed and built by WDI and sold to Westin Hotels, which was purchased by Starwoods.

Upvote 0

PX57chevy

Swan And Dolphin

I think you should stay at a Disney moderate... I really don't like the Swan and Dolphin...They are a big eye sore and ruin the view from the World Showcase and World Drive.... I know this has nothing to do with your post but I just got spun up!! Sorry....Another one of Eisner's mistakes...:brick: :brick: :brick:

Upvote 0

JimboJones123

landauh said:
The charge for parking is only if you are visiting the resort for the day, not if you are staying at the resorts.

Also ... both resorts were originally designed and built by WDI and sold to Westin Hotels, which was purchased by Starwoods.

thanks -- makes more interesting -- do you still get park parking free -- or not?

Upvote 0

schachteles

We stayed there from May 25th to the 29th with that special $149 a night deal...we paid (like $30 more for $179 a night) for an upgrade of the room and I honestly have NO clue what it was for...I ran out of time to ask them because whatever it was wasn't worth it! They charge you $8 a day to park regardless of what you are doing. We left our car in the lot for the whole time we were there and paid for 4 days of parking.

We are Hilton Grand Vacation Club Timeshare owners so normally we stay there, this time we did the Swan/Dolphin for a convention and I honestly would NEVER spend that kind of money on a hotel room...not worth it what so ever! That is just my opinion...but we are used to large rooms with a living/dining room and kitchens. The benefit of being on property was nice...nice to be able to be in the parks a little longer though they are CRAZY busy on EMH days. The walk to Epcot and MGM was really nice, I liked that. Oh and beds are comfy, but other then that I don't think that it is worth it...just my opinion.

Upvote 0

schachteles

We were told though that if we wanted to drive to the parks all we had to do was show our roomkey and parking at the parks would be free...because essentially you already paid for it at the hotel.

Upvote 0

Tiggersgreat

We just stayed there and got a teacher rate $165 a night. We also are a Starwood preferred guest. They upgraded our room when we got there and we had a balcony overlooking Epcot firewoks and Boardwalk. I liked the room. The beds are nice. It's nice having glasses and a coffee maker. The grounds are nice. I felt the restaurants were overpriced so we ate at the parks or at Spoodles on the Boardwalk. We paid $9 a day for parking and could come and go and got free parking at the parks. We drove. I liked being close to MGM and Epcot for evening MH. They empty out toward the end of the hours and we walked on many rides. It doesn't have that same Disney magic - which can be good and bad. Next time we will stay on property because we missed the Disney extras.

Upvote 0

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Tiggersgreat said:
The Swan and Dolphin do not participate in the dining plan. They also did away with refillable mugs.

The removal of the refillable mugs must be a new development, I last noticed them when I was in Picabu in mid April.

Upvote 0

Glasgow

I've stayed there 4 times for work (conference) and have enjoyed it each time. Maybe it was because I was away from work (lol) but the resort is well executed if not a bit boring. The rooms are big plus you gotta give it up for the fantastic beds ... :)

Upvote 0

kaybee

I stayed at the Dolphin for a week for the first time and I loved the place!! We also rented a car. We were charged $8/day to park regardless of how many times you came and went with your vehicle. I got the nurses discount so I found the rate to be well worth it. We stayed our first night at a disney mod (POR) and actually paid more that night than I did per night at the Dolphin. We loved the room. We looked out at Epcot and got to see fireworks every night from our window. The beds are everything people say about them...heavenly!! We just showed them our hotel key when we went to the parks and weren't charged to enter. My only disappointment was the refillable mugs had been sold out by a large convention. I was told they were going to reorder and redesign them with the new Pickabu logo. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here. You sure can't beat the great pool area, and closeness to MGM and Epcot. Try it you won't regret it:wave:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom