Swan and Dolphin

wedway71

Original Poster
Whats the deal with the Dolphin and Swan? I know Eisner had Michael Graves design the two when built and thery are not operated by Disney (I think by Tishman).Does Disney actually own the properties but just doesnt operate them or does the company who opeates them actually own the physical buildings?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Starwood also owns the resorts, but I believe Disney still owns the property, just leases it to Starwood.

wedway71

Original Poster
Thats right-Starwood.For some reason I had Tishman on my mind but I think that was the construction company.I was hoping Disey would have taken ownership of the two.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
wedway71 said:
Thats right-Starwood.For some reason I had Tishman on my mind but I think that was the construction company.I was hoping Disey would have taken ownership of the two.

They have no reason to. Its cheaper to let Starwood do it.

And it was Tishman that originally owned the buildings, Starwood purchased them from Tishman.

dmmgp2000

It gets confusing...but...land is owned by Disney.....Swan is operated by Starwood as a Westin....Dolphin is operated by Starwood as a Sheraton. The two hotels are then owned by two corporations on top of that, Tishman and Met Life. Disney leases the land to Starwood, but Starwood has a little portion next to Fantasia Mini Golf. Ever notice the roofs of the buildings(more like tents) next to Fantasia are the same theming/color scheme as Swan and Dolphin hotels?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Tishman Reality built most of EPCOT Center, and in mid 1984 had been signed to build 2 WDW hotels. Eisner, Wells & Katzenburg come along a few months later & offer Marriott the deal. Tishman threaten to sue, but the Marriott deal falls apart. Tishman get to build the hotels, but Disney supply every plan & blueprint, down to the last nut & bolt. The option for Tishman to build more WDW hotels is withdrawn by Disney, & Disney supply the land for Tishman to build their hotels on - land which as late as the summer of `84 was still earmarked for an Industrial Park from the E.P.C.O.T. masterplan. Tishman later sell one to Met Life.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom