Survivor S39: Island of the Idols

flynnibus

Premium Member
The drama and intrigue of a 4-4 showdown, decided by an advantage that only one player had an opportunity to acquire.

Entertaining enough episode, but really feels like the contestants are just game pieces, and the show is deciding what happens.

Yeah, the 'what challenge' ioi players get really sets up the game for manipulation easy. Would be interesting if that was more transparent and objective..

PUSH

Original Poster
The drama and intrigue of a 4-4 showdown, decided by an advantage that only one player had an opportunity to acquire.

Entertaining enough episode, but really feels like the contestants are just game pieces, and the show is deciding what happens.
I was happy that the players used the advantage in an intelligent way. I feel like far too often they are wasted for the sake of a big move.

PUSH

Original Poster
In Rob's post game interview with Jason, Jason revealed the actual target before Elaine pulled out the vote block was Aaron because he was so willing to flip on the others that it made them think his move was going to benefit him more than them. It wasn't until Elaine pulled that out that she became the target.

He also revealed that on day 3 or 4 he found out that he used to date Noura's cousin. This was after Noura said he reminded her of her ex boyfriend.

PUSH

Original Poster
Another fantastic episode! I am loving this season! My thoughts:

1. Janet is so good. Turning down Rob and Sandra. I love logical players. I feel like we haven't had a ton of them in recent years. Big, bold moves are usually not logical. One of the reasons I love Kim Spradlin and think she's a top 3 or 4 player is because she played so logically.

2. That challenge was so close! It literally came down to not being able to fit the piece in in time.

3. Lauren and Tommy: We can't let people know we're close! Also Lauren and Tommy: *go together to pitch to opposing alliance that Dan should go home*

4. Dan early in the season: *creepy touching* Dan half a season later: *still creepy touching* Have we even heard Dan speak, or do we only know he's a creep? I feel like this will come back up later on in the season.

5. I was not high on Kellee coming into this season, but I think she might be the best strategist and most cerebral player in this game. She's so good. The IoI thing was brilliant. The play for Dean was brilliant. Unless Dean blabs, she has no blood on her hands, and she has a secret alliance with the other side now. And somehow Noura voted Dean, so people will think Noura is the flipper rather than Kellee who actually pulled off that move. Amazing!

6. I would have loved to see Jamal's idol play backfire and have him go home. His edit has been very strange. He started off as a villain with the Molly vote. Then he had so many good, positive moments. Tonight he was back to being that villain. Interesting edit. I also think it's interesting how he played his idol for Noura when Noura admitted to thinking about voting him off... and after that idol play Noura was the second Jack vote, again, thanks to Kellee who talked her into it. Kellee is on Parvati/Cirie/Natalie/Amanda-level strategy right now, except it's all by herself. Maybe Kellee is the next Parvati instead of Molly.

7. Another amazing, important moment during tonight's Tribal Council. I know some people don't like when Survivor airs these moments, but I think it's so important. Bravo to the players and the producers.

8. Is this one of the best groups of women we've ever had on Survivor? The answer is yes. I can see almost any of these women winning. I can only see one or two men winning.

9. Jack is on the jury?!

10. Merge time! I love the merge! Although this may be the best pre-merge we've ever gotten.

PUSH

Original Poster
This is the first time since Heroes vs Villains that a pre-merge boot has been on the jury. That was 19 seasons ago.

PUSH

Original Poster
Via Mike Blooms Twitter: Janet is now the oldest woman to make the merge since Scout in Vanuatu in season 9... 30 seasons ago! Janet is amazing! Love her.

PUSH

Original Poster
More notes...

Kellee's confessional with her "moment of inspiration" was one of the best confessionals ever.

Kellee was also right that the fear of a women's alliance has far outweighed the actual number of women's alliances. How many women's alliances have there been? Micronesia. One World (where they were already split by gender). You could argue Vanuatu, but not really with Chris, plus they were already split by gender. Am I missing one? Or is there only one, true organic women's alliance from Micronesia? You might make the case for Kelley, Abi, Kass, and Ciera in Cambodia, but they weren't a successful one, and I don't think they were holding on just because they were women. At least not that I can remember.

Watchers

g2tnQby.jpg

Wendy Pleakley

7. Another amazing, important moment during tonight's Tribal Council. I know some people don't like when Survivor airs these moments, but I think it's so important. Bravo to the players and the producers.

To quote the Reddit Survivor twitter account: "To the people whining about the presence of "politics" in this game that is a big social experiment, you have fundamentally misunderstood what this game is. Try Wheel of Fortune instead."

Wendy Pleakley

I was happy that the players used the advantage in an intelligent way. I feel like far too often they are wasted for the sake of a big move.

Jumping back to last week, that was a smart move but it was an obvious move. The show basically said, you're at a 4-4 stalemate, now it's 4-3, go make your obvious vote. I felt like I was watching a scripted drama, not a reality show.

This week was far more entertaining. The idol play was far more interesting and unpredictable. It also required a level of strategy from the players that the vote nullifier didn't.

danheaton

This week was awesome! I've really enjoyed how Kellee has played this season and the way she approaches the game. Even while making her great points about the women's alliance ideas, she didn't insult Jamal. In fact, they seemed to be on the same page. That's an awesome social game. There are just so many interesting people (not just characters) on this season. Jamal, Kellee, Janet, Lauren, Missy, Noura, Jack, Elizabeth. The editing also is giving a bunch of different players a chance to shine. The double idol play (with a shocking choice by Jamal) also was great too!

PUSH

Original Poster
To quote the Reddit Survivor twitter account: "To the people whining about the presence of "politics" in this game that is a big social experiment, you have fundamentally misunderstood what this game is. Try Wheel of Fortune instead."
I saw that one, too, and it is very well said. Survivor has always been about social politics.

PUSH

Original Poster
Jumping back to last week, that was a smart move but it was an obvious move. The show basically said, you're at a 4-4 stalemate, now it's 4-3, go make your obvious vote. I felt like I was watching a scripted drama, not a reality show.

This week was far more entertaining. The idol play was far more interesting and unpredictable. It also required a level of strategy from the players that the vote nullifier didn't.
Agreed. However, I feel like most "obvious" moves aren't made anymore because they aren't part of big moveitis. I give players a lot of credit for making the smart move over the crazy move that messes up their own game.

PUSH

Original Poster
This week was awesome! I've really enjoyed how Kellee has played this season and the way she approaches the game. Even while making her great points about the women's alliance ideas, she didn't insult Jamal. In fact, they seemed to be on the same page. That's an awesome social game. There are just so many interesting people (not just characters) on this season. Jamal, Kellee, Janet, Lauren, Missy, Noura, Jack, Elizabeth. The editing also is giving a bunch of different players a chance to shine. The double idol play (with a shocking choice by Jamal) also was great too!
As far as the editing goes I am enjoying how they aren't saying it's either player A or player B going tonight. Instead they are listing multiple players who could possibly go. I feel like they are showing more of the conversations between players this time and showing what's actually happening. I don't feel like they are intentionally hiding the vote like I have in the past. This season we have enough info to know what's happening most of the time.

danheaton

As far as the editing goes I am enjoying how they aren't saying it's either player A or player B going tonight. Instead they are listing multiple players who could possibly go. I feel like they are showing more of the conversations between players this time and showing what's actually happening. I don't feel like they are intentionally hiding the vote like I have in the past. This season we have enough info to know what's happening most of the time.

That's a really good point. It reminds me a bit more of how Survivor: South Africa has been with the editing. They focus on the characters, which then builds up the impact of any vote, regardless of how it goes. Especially in the past few weeks, I had no idea who was doomed at Tribal Council.

PUSH

Original Poster
That's a really good point. It reminds me a bit more of how Survivor: South Africa has been with the editing. They focus on the characters, which then builds up the impact of any vote, regardless of how it goes. Especially in the past few weeks, I had no idea who was doomed at Tribal Council.
I must have been trained really well in the art of the edit and seeing past it. There was one scene where someone was talking to Jack, and I said to my dad, who I was watching with, that Jack was going to be voted out tonight. I also predicted Ronnie, Molly, Chelsea, and maybe Vince... I can't remember that one for sure.

GenerationX

What a difference a season makes. Last season was horrible with the least deserving winner in the show's history. This season is far more interesting. The contestants are a good mix, and Rob and Sandra are a fun and occasionally insightful diversion.

I was struck, similar to @PUSH, with Kellee's confessional. Her pause as the brilliant idea came to her was the best Survivor moment in a long time.

PUSH

Original Poster
What a difference a season makes. Last season was horrible with the least deserving winner in the show's history. This season is far more interesting. The contestants are a good mix, and Rob and Sandra are a fun and occasionally insightful diversion.

I was struck, similar to @PUSH, with Kellee's confessional. Her pause as the brilliant idea came to her was the best Survivor moment in a long time.
I have been indifferent about Rob and Sandra and the IoI this season, but I have fully formed my opinion for the pre-merge portion of the game. IoI absolutely worked. You can argue production influenced the game too much, but I don't feel like they've negatively impacted it. Without the IoI we wouldn't have had Kellee's moment or Elaine's moment last week. One could actually argue that it's making it a more level playing field in terms of women getting advantages.

I will remain a little skeptical of how the IoI will work post-merge. I assume at some point they will have to out the fact that Rob and Sandra are there. Otherwise we could have the entire cast knowing about it with everyone pretending they aren't there. And if everybody knows, will that have a negative impact on how the players are playing? Not sure. Just a hypothetical.

Without IoI, I think this cast still shines. It's a phenomenal cast. I won't say it's DvG level yet, but I still stand by that this might be the best group of women we've ever had. However, I think the IoI has given us a chance for certain characters to come through that may not have without that extra screen time (Janet, Kellee, Vince, Elizabeth). Noura would have found a way to find the screen regardless, but her IoI moments made some of the funniest Survivor moments ever.

danheaton

I still think it's interesting that the producers must be telling players not to reveal Rob and Sandra to anyone that hasn't been to the Island of the Idols thus far. Vince basically said as much when Rob asked him about it during the RHAP exit interview. I wonder if they will ultimately reveal Rob and Sandra to the cast at some point and have them sit out in front of the cast.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom