Survivor S39: Island of the Idols

PUSH

Original Poster
I just saw my first commercial for the upcoming Survivor season, so I figured I'd start a thread since the new season premieres on September 25th. Let's hope this season is better than last and doesn't feature the Edge of Extinction!

NYwdwfan

I just saw my first commercial for the upcoming Survivor season, so I figured I'd start a thread since the new season premieres on September 25th. Let's hope this season is better than last and doesn't feature the Edge of Extinction!
I’m hoping “Island of Idols” only means the island where the idols (Boston Rob/Sandra) are and not the island of immunity idols. I also hope they are on that island, not interacting with the other castaways, with a separate wager between them and not a chance at the $1 million.

PUSH

Original Poster
I’m hoping “Island of Idols” only means the island where the idols (Boston Rob/Sandra) are and not the island of immunity idols. I also hope they are on that island, not interacting with the other castaways, with a separate wager between them and not a chance at the $1 million.
I don't get how production doesn't take David vs Goliath as an example of excellent Survivor. Smart, strategic gameplay is what we want to see. Not weird twists that give people more opportunities and chances to win.

danheaton

I'm both intrigued and a little nervous about this season. I think part of this may be re-introducing viewers to Rob and Sandra (especially Rob) to prep for a future season. Unsure what people here think of spoilers for what's coming beyond S39, so I'll stay vague at this point.

SAV

What the latest preview says is that Rob and Sandra aren't playing for the million dollars and are here to serve as Mentors.

danheaton

Right. I just know on shows like Big Brother they've had "captains" that ultimately entered the game. I doubt it happens here, but there's a small lingering concern in the back of my mind.

Watchers

Cast Photo
c3KofDy.jpg

PUSH

Original Poster
I'm both intrigued and a little nervous about this season. I think part of this may be re-introducing viewers to Rob and Sandra (especially Rob) to prep for a future season. Unsure what people here think of spoilers for what's coming beyond S39, so I'll stay vague at this point.
We've put future season spoilers in spoilers like so:

Like so.

We figure it's okay to post about episodes that have just aired, as in the past we've agreed to not check this thread until after you've seen the aired episodes.

PUSH

Original Poster
Saw this on YouTube. It does sound like the "Island of the Idols" is a Ghost Island type island where players can win advantages. Boston Rob and Sandra will "quiz" them on things they've taught the players. They will not be marooned with Jeff, but instead be dropped off at their beaches to find their buffs and the season's logo, so they have to speculate on what the title means.

I hate the "win an advantage" idea. Ghost Island blew. How about you actually make finding idols challenging where you can only find them with a clue? For example, one of the best seasons where idols were played and found - Cambodia. Hide them in challenges again. I understand how you can't overuse that, but we haven't had that since Game Changers (5 season ago), I believe. Bury the idols again. Stop hiding them in trees and holes.

Wendy Pleakley

Generally, if it hasn't been formally announced or aired it's a spoiler. I imagine anyone with a remote interest in Survivor knows what Season 40 is all about, but until they announce it at the season 39 finale it's off limits.

Curious to see how this whole mentor thing works out. Rob and Sandra are strategic players, but surely they're not going to tell players what alliances to form. How do you give contestants good advice while still letting them play their own game?

South Africa did coaches, in the form of two professional athletes. They approached it from the perspective of helping their tribe beat the other tribe, only to be surprised when people were voted out based on strategy instead of strength. What impact will mentors have here?

Meanwhile, in the time it took my to type this there's probably another 3 hours of Australian Survivor released to catch up on. Three extra-long episodes per week, it's crazy.

PUSH

Original Poster
According to Josh Wigler and Mike Bloom, each time someone goes to the island, Rob and Sandra will teach them something. Such as firemaking on the first visit. Then each time they have the chance to something to win an advantage or lose their vote. Other things might be intangible things like learning how to lie.

I haven't finished the podcast yet. I should be able to finish tomorrow.

artvandelay

I read Dalton Ross’ Interview with Jeff Probst and Jeff said that Rob and Sandra were given latitude to sweeten an offer if the player did not want to take the challenge. If they said no to a challenge that would give them immunity for one tribal, Rob or Sandra could then offer them immunity for three tribals.

This has train wreck written all over it, although I am looking forward to an entire season of Rob Cesternino’s Boston Rob impression. “Smarten Up!”

PUSH

Original Poster
I read Dalton Ross’ Interview with Jeff Probst and Jeff said that Rob and Sandra were given latitude to sweeten an offer if the player did not want to take the challenge. If they said no to a challenge that would give them immunity for one tribal, Rob or Sandra could then offer them immunity for three tribals.

This has train wreck written all over it, although I am looking forward to an entire season of Rob Cesternino’s Boston Rob impression. “Smarten Up!”
He can never top his Reem impression.

But yes, this season could be a trainwreck. I don't get how production doesn't understand what fans want. And don't tell me this is for the casual watchers. The casual watchers have no clue who Boston Rob or Sandra are. And I doubt many old-school fans are rushing back to watch.

PUSH

Original Poster
Rob and Sandra will actually be living on an island like they would if they were a contestant, but it was emphasized that they will NOT be players at any point in the season.

danheaton

Yeah. I saw the behind-the-scenes video where Jeff explained the role a bit too for Boston Rob and Sandra. I feel like this season could go so many different ways based on the advantages and how they work.

artvandelay

He can never top his Reem impression.

But yes, this season could be a trainwreck. I don't get how production doesn't understand what fans want. And don't tell me this is for the casual watchers. The casual watchers have no clue who Boston Rob or Sandra are. And I doubt many old-school fans are rushing back to watch.
Jeff Probst is the person in charge of the show now. He’s calling almost all the shots and he likes a lot of idols, twists, and bringing his favorite players back.

PUSH

Original Poster
Jeff Probst is the person in charge of the show now. He’s calling almost all the shots and he likes a lot of idols, twists, and bringing his favorite players back.
This summer I've been rewatching a lot of old seasons. I rewatched 1-14, then 17 (I rewatched 15-16 a couple summers ago, so I skipped them this time). I was amazed by how entertaining I found them. I remember watching Gabon the first time and hating it. And while I still find it one of the least likable casts, I enjoyed it much more than what we have now. Here are my current season rankings, with some missing because I haven't watched them in several years.

Notice how only one season has come in the past few years. And my (so far) top 10 seasons only has one that you can really say had any type of "Advantagegeddon", with it being Cambodia. And Cambodia was what I would consider the very first instance, which made it exciting. Now that it's common, I have a feeling if I rewatched Cambodia, it would be much less so.
  1. Micronesia (16)
  2. Heroes vs Villains (20)
  3. Cambodia (31)
  4. Cagayan (28)
  5. David vs Goliath (37)
  6. The Amazon (6)
  7. Borneo (1)
  8. Blood vs Water (27)
  9. Cook Islands (13)
  10. Panama (12)
  11. China (15)
  12. Pearl Islands (7)
  13. Caramoan (26)
  14. Millennials vs Gen X (33)
  15. Palau (10)
  16. Africa (3)
  17. Fiji (14)
  18. Vanuatu (9)
  19. All-Stars (8)
  20. Game Changers (34)
  21. Gabon (17)
  22. Guatemala (11)
  23. Marquesas (4)
  24. The Australian Outback (2)
  25. Heroes vs Healers vs Hustlers (35)
  26. Thailand (5)
  27. Ghost Island (36)
  28. Edge of Extinction (38)

Moral of the story is, a Costco version of bulk idols is not the way to go. I say no more than two advantages in play at a time. The less frequent, the more exciting, and the smarter you have to be to pull it off. Parvati in HvV... brilliant! Ben and Rick in their respective seasons... didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out when and how to use them.

PUSH

Original Poster
Also, I have found some recent seasons more predictable with the advantages. If Rick finds an idol in the first 5 minutes of an episode, I know he's playing it, and I know who is going home next. If Sarah has to play a legacy advantage by the final ____, I know when she's going to play it when they never talk about it until that episode. However, I had a harder time predicting seasons from the late 20s into the early 30s when people had to be smart strategic and social players. I don't know if I consider today's gameplay as "smart" strategy. Tyson said it best in an interview on RHAP once, flashy doesn't mean it's a good move! Kim was not flashy, but damn was she a fantastic, dominating player. I LOVED watching her play.

Anyway, I'll step off my soapbox for the night.

PUSH

Original Poster
I've been listening to a RHAP podcast with Josh Wigler's preseason interviews of the season 39 castaways on my commute to and from work. Missy Byrd has an incredible story. That is all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom