Survivor: Millennials vs. Gen X

flynnibus

Premium Member
I agree that Adam is the smart money to win, but I am still Team Ken. He's won enough challenges to make him a worthy winner, and gosh darn it, he's just so pretty.
I never go with the pretty vote (heck, I wanted Rudy to win Season One), please let me have the pretty vote just this once.

I just go back to that whole outting Wil thing. There is no way this knows how to put together a compelling story to paint him a victor. He'll instead tell everyone some rant about emotions or philosophies and paint himself a god without any single factual reference to anchor any of it. The Millennial will go TL:DR - who else can I vote for?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Jay had the 4th idol play of the season. It's the 3rd time an idol has been played when it has had zero effect on the outcome of the vote. And it's also the first time an idol has been played for the person with the idol. David played for Jessica, David played for Ken, Adam played for Hannah, and now Jay played it for himself.

and (IMO) one of the better developments in this season. People need to keep their group together to go far.. playing idols vs sitting on them is one way to do so.

GenerationX

At this point, I'm rooting for Jay and David, as they have both played well and been entertaining to watch. The rest? Meh.

I liked the immunity challenge with the ball rolling down the table and the puzzle - a successful mash-up of two elements they've used before. The other immunity challenge was decent, but they've been relying on balance beams a bit too much lately.

Hannah either has a weird sunburn/suntan thing going, or she is perpetually filthy. I find Adam more annoying than endearing.

As to which contestants have been hot, I looked back through past years' casts on the CBS site, and most of the Jenns, Jessicas, and Kellys have fit the bill.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
At this point, I'm rooting for Jay and David, as they have both played well and been entertaining to watch. The rest? Meh.

I liked the immunity challenge with the ball rolling down the table and the puzzle - a successful mash-up of two elements they've used before. The other immunity challenge was decent, but they've been relying on balance beams a bit too much lately.

Hannah either has a weird sunburn/suntan thing going, or she is perpetually filthy. I find Adam more annoying than endearing.

As to which contestants have been hot, I looked back through past years' casts on the CBS site, and most of the Jenns, Jessicas, and Kellys have fit the bill.
Jenns (one "n" or two) are all hot. :hilarious:

The ball rolling/puzzle challenge is highly reminiscent of numerous challenges from Big Brother.

And yes, Hannah does seem particularly grubby.

DinoInstitute

One day from the finale! Been a great season, but I think I'm ready for it to come to an end and to see how it all wraps up (plus, I'm excited for the Game Changers preview!). But, before that, I've got some thoughts on the season so far/the last episode...

As far as Will's boot goes, can't say I didn't see it coming a mile away once the episode started, but was still holding out hope he would be able to pull something out, as I think he could have been a really fun end-game villain. Alas, he had the classic too-big-for-his-britches downfall. He seemed like a really smart kid though that got caught up in the moment and just lacked some basic life experience that's needed for something like Survivor; much like Julia Sokolowski, I think he could be a very dangerous (and fun to watch!) player if he were to return in a couple years.

Sunday...poor Sunday. What did she do to off production to be completely edited out of the season :p This isn't meant as a knock against her, I mean it isn't her fault for being overshadowed by all the other big characters and not getting shown much at all, but it's just crazy to think about how she made it to the penultimate episode of a season having contributed nothing to the story. I don't think there's ever been anyone in Survivor history to last as long as she did and be as irrelevant as she was. And for that reason I was beyond surprised she got voted out- 0 confessionals or anything in her boot episode, definitely not the traditional elimination! It's actually a pretty interesting editing strategy that I don't really know we've ever seen before now that I think about it. Her only real role in the story was being a goat who's done nothing, and was taken out for that reason. Rather than spending time showing why she has no chance to win, the feeling of her being such a goat was simulated to the audience by not showing her doing much of anything.

Speaking of which, I really don't see where Hannah's mind is at at this point/where she thinks she's going from here to have a winning game. Her strategy here to take out Sunday was essentially pulling the Cirie; take out the goat everyone wants to take to the end because that goat is just going to take up a potential spot in the finale that could be hers instead, especially because, much like Cirie, the odds of Hannah winning final immunity are slim compared to who she's up against. The crucial difference between her and Cirie though is that Cirie just wanted the chance to make it to the end so that she could plead her case to win, while Hannah doesn't really have much of a case to make compared to who she would be sitting with. So, overall I have to deem this a very bad move, as she absolutely needed Sunday to be in the end with her to have a chance at winning.

While on that topic, I figure I'll do my own power rankings in who I think has the best chance to win should they be in the end (not best position to get to the end, but those with the highest chances of winning. So essentially 5 and 6 I don't think can win).

1. Jay- Jay by far has the toughest road to get to the end, but if he manages to get there I think he wins in a shutout. Just looking at the jury, he already has quite a few votes locked up, Michelle, Taylor, Zeke, Will,...Plus, I'm sure he has more than that as getting to the end for him would be a fantastic, against all odds, fighting to the end case to make.
2. I'm putting Adam and David tied here at number two, just because I really think that, if these two are in the finale and Jay isn't, it could really be a toss up, very close that we might even get our first tie. They both have played great strategic games and have winner narratives the write themselves. I really don't know who would win between the two of them, but either way I'd be happy.
4. Bret- I'm sure most people would have Bret at 5 or 6, but I think he has a fair chance. If David/Ken aren't there with him, he likely could get quite a few Gen X votes, and even still strategically he's played a very strong and big game. And depending on how the next few votes go, he too could be an underdog of sorts. He keeps losing his number one allies, from Chris, to Sunday, and ends up on the bottom. If he comes back from it again, he would be a deserving contender.
5. Ken- Being in the 5th spot, I think Ken doesn't have chance at winning (sorry @JenniferS :p). He was looking very good at the beginning of the game, but has just kept making a series of strategic and social mistakes towards the end game, which I think has shown his downfall. I see him very similar to Tai actually; the fan favorite who loses in the final tribal.
6. Hannah- I don't have much more to add to her that I haven't already said, but just to put it simply I don't think she's played a *bad* game, but I just don't think there's anyone, let alone two people, that she could get more votes than in the end.

I can't stress enough though how I have no idea who's winning this :p It definitely feels like it could be very close, more so than I've felt in a while. As far as who I think will win (as in factoring all of the above plus ability to get to the end), I feel like I have to rule Jay out. Which saddens me because he's who I'm pulling for mainly, but I just think that winning the next three immunities is a lot to count on, as I don't se any of them not taking the opportunity to knock out Jay when they have the chance. I want to say it's between David and Adam, but for the life of me I have no idea which. On the one hand, Adam's story has been way too emotional and sympathetic for him not to have some sort of happy ending (because there's been plenty of instances where things have been edited out before; granted not as drastic as Adam's situation though), not counting the potential Jeremy Collins baby boost (unless Adam doesn't mention it?). Plus, going back to the early days of the season, I feel like the edit was definitely portraying the Millenials more positively than Men X (similar to how Blue Collar was in Worlds Apart). Then again, I think David has probably done more to earn more votes and strategically played a better game. It also has felt like David is the "main character" of the season if that makes sense to anyone else, so I get winner vibes from him. Again, I really don't know though, could be Bret too even I think.

Phew...that was a lot of writing :p But overall, the gist of it is I'm excited for the finale as I think it's going to be a good one :p

I hope Jeff gives them all participation trophies at the reunion :D

PUSH

One day from the finale! Been a great season, but I think I'm ready for it to come to an end and to see how it all wraps up (plus, I'm excited for the Game Changers preview!). But, before that, I've got some thoughts on the season so far/the last episode...

As far as Will's boot goes, can't say I didn't see it coming a mile away once the episode started, but was still holding out hope he would be able to pull something out, as I think he could have been a really fun end-game villain. Alas, he had the classic too-big-for-his-britches downfall. He seemed like a really smart kid though that got caught up in the moment and just lacked some basic life experience that's needed for something like Survivor; much like Julia Sokolowski, I think he could be a very dangerous (and fun to watch!) player if he were to return in a couple years.

Sunday...poor Sunday. What did she do to **** off production to be completely edited out of the season :p This isn't meant as a knock against her, I mean it isn't her fault for being overshadowed by all the other big characters and not getting shown much at all, but it's just crazy to think about how she made it to the penultimate episode of a season having contributed nothing to the story. I don't think there's ever been anyone in Survivor history to last as long as she did and be as irrelevant as she was. And for that reason I was beyond surprised she got voted out- 0 confessionals or anything in her boot episode, definitely not the traditional elimination! It's actually a pretty interesting editing strategy that I don't really know we've ever seen before now that I think about it. Her only real role in the story was being a goat who's done nothing, and was taken out for that reason. Rather than spending time showing why she has no chance to win, the feeling of her being such a goat was simulated to the audience by not showing her doing much of anything.

Speaking of which, I really don't see where Hannah's mind is at at this point/where she thinks she's going from here to have a winning game. Her strategy here to take out Sunday was essentially pulling the Cirie; take out the goat everyone wants to take to the end because that goat is just going to take up a potential spot in the finale that could be hers instead, especially because, much like Cirie, the odds of Hannah winning final immunity are slim compared to who she's up against. The crucial difference between her and Cirie though is that Cirie just wanted the chance to make it to the end so that she could plead her case to win, while Hannah doesn't really have much of a case to make compared to who she would be sitting with. So, overall I have to deem this a very bad move, as she absolutely needed Sunday to be in the end with her to have a chance at winning.

While on that topic, I figure I'll do my own power rankings in who I think has the best chance to win should they be in the end (not best position to get to the end, but those with the highest chances of winning. So essentially 5 and 6 I don't think can win).

1. Jay- Jay by far has the toughest road to get to the end, but if he manages to get there I think he wins in a shutout. Just looking at the jury, he already has quite a few votes locked up, Michelle, Taylor, Zeke, Will,...Plus, I'm sure he has more than that as getting to the end for him would be a fantastic, against all odds, fighting to the end case to make.
2. I'm putting Adam and David tied here at number two, just because I really think that, if these two are in the finale and Jay isn't, it could really be a toss up, very close that we might even get our first tie. They both have played great strategic games and have winner narratives the write themselves. I really don't know who would win between the two of them, but either way I'd be happy.
4. Bret- I'm sure most people would have Bret at 5 or 6, but I think he has a fair chance. If David/Ken aren't there with him, he likely could get quite a few Gen X votes, and even still strategically he's played a very strong and big game. And depending on how the next few votes go, he too could be an underdog of sorts. He keeps losing his number one allies, from Chris, to Sunday, and ends up on the bottom. If he comes back from it again, he would be a deserving contender.
5. Ken- Being in the 5th spot, I think Ken doesn't have chance at winning (sorry @JenniferS :p). He was looking very good at the beginning of the game, but has just kept making a series of strategic and social mistakes towards the end game, which I think has shown his downfall. I see him very similar to Tai actually; the fan favorite who loses in the final tribal.
6. Hannah- I don't have much more to add to her that I haven't already said, but just to put it simply I don't think she's played a *bad* game, but I just don't think there's anyone, let alone two people, that she could get more votes than in the end.

I can't stress enough though how I have no idea who's winning this :p It definitely feels like it could be very close, more so than I've felt in a while. As far as who I think will win (as in factoring all of the above plus ability to get to the end), I feel like I have to rule Jay out. Which saddens me because he's who I'm pulling for mainly, but I just think that winning the next three immunities is a lot to count on, as I don't se any of them not taking the opportunity to knock out Jay when they have the chance. I want to say it's between David and Adam, but for the life of me I have no idea which. On the one hand, Adam's story has been way too emotional and sympathetic for him not to have some sort of happy ending (because there's been plenty of instances where things have been edited out before; granted not as drastic as Adam's situation though), not counting the potential Jeremy Collins baby boost (unless Adam doesn't mention it?). Plus, going back to the early days of the season, I feel like the edit was definitely portraying the Millenials more positively than Men X (similar to how Blue Collar was in Worlds Apart). Then again, I think David has probably done more to earn more votes and strategically played a better game. It also has felt like David is the "main character" of the season if that makes sense to anyone else, so I get winner vibes from him. Again, I really don't know though, could be Bret too even I think.

Phew...that was a lot of writing :p But overall, the gist of it is I'm excited for the finale as I think it's going to be a good one :p

I think David played a better pre-merge and early post-merge, but I think Adam has played an incredibly strong game since the Taylor vote. I think David would have the edge over Adam if they were to end up at the finale together, although I'd be leaning toward Adam at the moment.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member

Sunday...poor Sunday. What did she do to **** off production to be completely edited out of the season :p This isn't meant as a knock against her, I mean it isn't her fault for being overshadowed by all the other big characters and not getting shown much at all, but it's just crazy to think about how she made it to the penultimate episode of a season having contributed nothing to the story. I don't think there's ever been anyone in Survivor history to last as long as she did and be as irrelevant as she was. And for that reason I was beyond surprised she got voted out- 0 confessionals or anything in her boot episode, definitely not the traditional elimination! It's actually a pretty interesting editing strategy that I don't really know we've ever seen before now that I think about it. Her only real role in the story was being a goat who's done nothing, and was taken out for that reason. Rather than spending time showing why she has no chance to win, the feeling of her being such a goat was simulated to the audience by not showing her doing much of anything.

I enjoyed your post.

Anybody but Brett or Hannah, and I'll be somewhat satisfied.

I agree that Jay will likely be the next one eliminated, provided he does not win immunity. That leaves Ken as the biggest physical (if not mental) threat out there. He could go on a run.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I'm always very excited, but lately teary watching Survivor finale shows.

When Heroes vs Villians premiered, I was crazy excited and fearful as well. You see, my father had recently been diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer (sound familiar?) and I knew in my heart of hearts that he would be gone before season's end.

He died in the wee hours of the morning on Sunday, May 16, approximately 16 hours before the show aired. It had been a long 36 hours leading up to his passing at home, and after four months of visiting with my father every single day, I didn't know what to do with myself that night ... so I watched Survivor.

Well, the cherry on the sundae of my story would be that my dad and I had watched every season together, and that night I felt his presence with me as I watched Russell get ripped off yet again. Alas, that part is not true. We never watched Survivor together. :joyfull: That being said, six and a half years later, I still feel his presence beside me.

Enjoy the show everyone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom