Survey

Do you agree with IPs in Epcot?

• Total voters

ARoss

Original Poster
I am doing an essay at my school and i decided to make it about why/why not IPs should be in Epcot, i wanted to post this poll to collect some info.

correcaminos

In general I say no. I don't have issues with characters fitting in with the countries though because they have always had a level of that even in the early days. So seeing Mulan in China, Snow White in Germany, Belle in France, Mary Poppins in UK etc. all works for me.

I do not mean Frozen though. It's a fantasy place in a made up place so it irks me that it's there. The movie at the end of Maelstrom was dated but we loved it.

Nemo fits with the Living Seas. That part of the ride was dated (though I miss the hydrolators) and what they came up with blended much better. Just like TLK was in the Circle of Life movie at the Land. It fit.

If GOTG is like Frozen I'll be irked. If they blend it better like Nemo or TLK I'll not think much of it.

eliza61nyc

Ok to get back on topic before a grammer war breaks out, I voted "I don't care". I like change and things new. I hated that film in Norway and still can't stand the one in France. They are two days older than Jesus himself, outdated and corny. I'd much rather have an entertaining movie ride like Frozen than that dated crap.

Just me.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Ok to get back on topic before a grammer war breaks out, I voted "I don't care". I like change and things new. I hated that film in Norway and still can't stand the one in France. They are two days older than Jesus himself, outdated and corny. I'd much rather have an entertaining movie ride like Frozen than that dated crap.

Just me.
That’s a funny one too!! :)

correcaminos

Just me.
I think that's the issue some of us have. Epcot wasn't about entertainment movies and such. It was a mix of educational information mixed with rides/shows. It wasn't just about being entertained. We have MK for fantasy worlds, we have DHS for entertainment IPs. AK is for animals and conservation and Epcot was about the world and learning.

Dated or not, it was far more Norwegian than Frozen is. Arendelle is Norwegian inspired, not Norway itself. It's not even like Wakanda which is stated to be in Africa - it's simply just made up and adds nothing to real life cultures of Norway. Plus things from the 80s aren't that old... at least to those of us who were alive before Epcot were built ;)

Goofyernmost

Just me.
I totally agree with you on Norway. Personally, I think it fits into that incredibly boring ex-pavilion like a glove and in the process brought a dead pavilion back to life. However, France is classy. The music (particularly) along with the film is one of the most relaxing and wonderful WDW breaks that can be found. I know a lot of people don't appreciate classical music, but, it fits into that show flawlessly. I am not an obsessed fan of classical music. Most of it I find to be a conglomeration of mis-notes jumbled together and called music. I own only one Classical CD and that was one that I got for free at an AARP convention. What that one did was show me that some of it is beautiful, not all, but, what is happens to be very soothing. I'm hoping that with the new realistic IP of a Rat Chef comes in it will hopefully allow that great film in France to stay. What is dated about that movie. It is mostly great scenery. I'm not sure how that gets dated. Maybe they could add some graffiti to bring it up to date.

Goofyernmost

I think that's the issue some of us have. Epcot wasn't about entertainment movies and such. It was a mix of educational information mixed with rides/shows. It wasn't just about being entertained. We have MK for fantasy worlds, we have DHS for entertainment IPs. AK is for animals and conservation and Epcot was about the world and learning.

Dated or not, it was far more Norwegian than Frozen is. Arendelle is Norwegian inspired, not Norway itself. It's not even like Wakanda which is stated to be in Africa - it's simply just made up and adds nothing to real life cultures of Norway. Plus things from the 80s aren't that old... at least to those of us who were alive before Epcot were built ;)
Sadly and apparently, the old purpose of existence wasn't working either for the fans or for Disney as a whole. Epcot even at is earliest days was about entertainment and for a short time it was working with the edutainment mission. That stopped and now we have a choice of losing Epcot completely or seeing a new face and purpose. There are many things in life that change and we either throw our hands up in despair or we go with the flow and find the enjoyment in what actually exists. When it gets to the point were I can no longer enjoy that park, I will surely move on to someplace else. Lamenting what is no longer has absolutely no influence on what actually exists. You actually hit upon the problem. Who wants to pay upward of $100.00+ to be educated while on vacation. They have places for that, they are called colleges.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom