Surprise trip to WDW

joannecasey

Original Poster
Hey everyone,

My husband and I are planning to completely surprise our boys (ages 14 and 6) with a WDW trip. They have been there before but never thought they would get back there again. We don't want them to know anything about it until the morning we are going. Any good ideas on how to surprise them ???

WDWmazprty

Well, we did the same thing a couple years ago with our daughters.
Basically, we left around 6 in the morning. We just went in the bedroom and told them to wake up. Of course they asked why, and we said very calmly that we were going to DisneyWorld.

At first, it didnt register, then they said-"what?!"
Again, -"we're going to Disney World"

The look on theire faces was priceless, and then of course they jumped out of bed and started dancing :lol:.

It was a great surprise!

Ceekling

This Friday is my son's 12th birthday and we are planning to wake him up with a supposed list of chores which will consist of:

-Get up
-Get dressed
-Get in the car, we're going to Disney!

Can't wait to see the expression on his face!

2princesses

we are going to surprise our kids too when we go at the end of Sept. Its kind of going to be the same get them up, dressed, in the car and oh yeah kids no school today we are going to Disney!!!!:sohappy:

mickeysshoes

we are trying to surprise our kids...one is easy she is away at college but the other one gets home before I do and always gets the mail. I have requested nothing be mailed but it always does and that is how she found out last year. I have a hard time lying when she askes what the Disney mail is. (she is 16) I think i am ok this year on the land part but doing a crusie for the first time and i have not getten anything via e-mail for the sea part so i am waiting for it to appear in the mailbox. And the sea part is the part i really want to be the surprise..wake up at the Boardwalk Inn and say pack up we have a bus to catch to the coast!!!!

Good luck to all and have loads of fun!!!

Disneykidder

We met my bro in law and his 2 kids in WDW a few years ago. They are from CA so it is quite a hike. MY BIL told his kids they were going to NY to visit us and then they just went to Disney. When the captain reported the weather for Orlando the kids were confused. He planned on just having them walk in the airport and for them to find out on the DME. He told them they were going to WDW. They were happy to be there and upset that they weren't going to see us. Then we arrived the next day and surprised them and they were sooo happy.

NYwdwfan

If you're flying I'd say get a limo to the airport (if it's not too cost prohibitive). Then you can wake them up, tell them you're going on vacation *somewhere* and to get in the limo - then give them each a wrapped box with a Mickey t-shirt inside (I've always wanted someone to do that for me...I'm 37...probably not in the cards)

jenmae56

We just did the same thing in July for our boys. We just woke the boys up and told them we had to go do some stuff in Columbus (where our airport is) then just went to the airport! We didn't even tell them where we were going. Our oldest son (7) didn't figure out where we were going until we got to WDW and drove under the Disney sign! It was the greatest. I definately had a hard time keeping it quiet for so long!

joannecasey

Original Poster
Great ideas ! I can't wait ... I have a tough time keeping something like this a secret so this is definitely going to be a challenge for me but worth it in the end !!!

Keep the ideas coming if anyone has anymore ! Thanks !!!

WDWmazprty

We're going in 16 days! And this time we're not sure what we're doing. We might do the postcard thing. Basically you get a postcard or photo from DW or find one online (its fairly easy) and address to your house, or just act like it came in the mail.

Right before you leave you tell your kids that a letter came for them. Let them open it up and they'll see the letter/postcard from Mickey or whoever saying that they cant wait to see them when they come to visit DW teh next day.

The kids will freak because (1)they're getting a personalized letter/postcard from a Disney character and (2) that character just told them they'll be coming to visit DW. :sohappy:

mickeysshoes

I really like the mail idea..I know my DD always love getting the mail and when something is for them...watch out. They are over the moon..then add to it that they are going to WDW...WOW!!!! Now adays with tell them (19 & 16 and both working) touch the mail and pay the bill you touch!!!! HAHA

minnie2000

We did this a few years ago with our daughters. We told them that we would go to a local park on Saturday, so they knew they had to be up and ready to leave early. Then over breakfast, we said, 'Why don't we just go to Disney today instead?'. They both looked like this... :eek:

The hardest thing was packing for everyone without them seeing!

Firepath

Hey everyone,

My husband and I are planning to completely surprise our boys (ages 14 and 6) with a WDW trip. They have been there before but never thought they would get back there again. We don't want them to know anything about it until the morning we are going. Any good ideas on how to surprise them ???

It's kind of tricky with a 14 yr. old. They see the mail, wonder why you're packing, etc. We are doing the same in January with our 14 yo son and 11 yo daughter. We will tell them we are going to drive somewhere warm to get away from the cold weather for a few days, and need to get a very early start. Our flight from the NW leaves at 6am. Our son is an extremely nervous flier, so if we tell him earlier he won't sleep the night before! I thought about sneaking The Unofficial WDW book in his bag, then asking him to get something out and see his reaction. Or hand him a folded up Disney shirt and ask him to wear it, then watch as he opens it. It's hard to not let it slip, you just have to be careful. How long before you go?

polynesiangirl

I loved reading this thread. Someday when my kid(s) are old enough to be "surprised" (i.e. not babies), this is something my husband and I would love to do. I would have flipped. out. if my parents had surprised me with a Disney trip as a kid! :)

joannecasey

Original Poster
It's kind of tricky with a 14 yr. old. They see the mail, wonder why you're packing, etc. We are doing the same in January with our 14 yo son and 11 yo daughter. We will tell them we are going to drive somewhere warm to get away from the cold weather for a few days, and need to get a very early start. Our flight from the NW leaves at 6am. Our son is an extremely nervous flier, so if we tell him earlier he won't sleep the night before! I thought about sneaking The Unofficial WDW book in his bag, then asking him to get something out and see his reaction. Or hand him a folded up Disney shirt and ask him to wear it, then watch as he opens it. It's hard to not let it slip, you just have to be careful. How long before you go?

We aren't actually going until October 2011 !! We have our rental home booked already and tickets bought. The waiting I think is going to take over my life !!! :) I thought I might tell them that their father and I are taking a vacation and have them come say "goodbye" to us at the airport. Then we're about ready to board, tell them "you know what, why don't we all go to Disney instead!"

Alison1975

We are also planning to surprise our kids. The oldest knows ( 16..will turn 17 while at WDW) and he has been twice...but our youngest 3 have never been and as far as they know they won't get to go til they are teens. We always go to lower GA in April to visit friends..but we are telling them we aren't going. The come August 17th we are going to tell them we decided last minute to go down for a few days.. we are going to leave in the wee hours of the morning so that they are asleep when we would arrive in GA and bam..when they wake we will be AT WDW..and if it still hasn't registered I will have printed up a journal and such for each.

Leading up to the surprise we will watch LOTS of Disney movies ( they have never seen a good many because they just aren't into movies and I want them familiar with all the characters they will meet) and I am going to build up their stash of Disney clothes..LOL

joannecasey

Original Poster
We are also planning to surprise our kids. The oldest knows ( 16..will turn 17 while at WDW) and he has been twice...but our youngest 3 have never been and as far as they know they won't get to go til they are teens. We always go to lower GA in April to visit friends..but we are telling them we aren't going. The come August 17th we are going to tell them we decided last minute to go down for a few days.. we are going to leave in the wee hours of the morning so that they are asleep when we would arrive in GA and bam..when they wake we will be AT WDW..and if it still hasn't registered I will have printed up a journal and such for each.

Leading up to the surprise we will watch LOTS of Disney movies ( they have never seen a good many because they just aren't into movies and I want them familiar with all the characters they will meet) and I am going to build up their stash of Disney clothes..LOL

Awww, your 3 year old's face will just light up ... priceless !! Our youngest was 4 1/2 when we first took him and his father and I just loved seeing it through his eyes ! 11 more months to go !!!!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom