Surprise! Red Tier Now Begins Sunday; Downtown Disney Restaurants???

lazyboy97o

If this is true that is pretty remarkable but 2 cases is still 2 cases (per 100k) away from Disneyland having to shut down. How can a business like Disneyland operate in that way?
Lockdowns and restrictions are not a long term solution. No sane person who has argued for or defended them has ever made that claim. When cases get that low there are other strategies that can be implemented to more directly deal with outbreaks in a targeted manner. Across the US and including in California, that early success last year was squandered by not putting those systems of testing, tracing and if necessary targeted restrictions in place. Everyone just rushed back to normal. A place like Disneyland could operate with even more cases after reopening with the appropriate systems in place to contain outbreaks.

el_super

One significant outbreak in a critical industry sector could push a county from yellow to orange. The thought of opening the park to then have to close again would represent a substantial rate of abrasion for the industry.

Yeah, but it wouldn't really be any different if the Disneyland was allowed to open in the orange tier, and the county slipped back from orange to red.

It goes back to what I said when the stay-at-home order was implemented in December: Disney took the risk in reopening Buena Vista Street, knowing it was a possibility it would be shut down again. That same risk will technically hold true whenever Disneyland reopens.

It actually would suggest that opening in the yellow tier would be far more beneficial for Disneyland, as case rates will have mostly stabilized (hopefully) by the time Orange County reaches the yellow tier, and a case could be made for keeping Disneyland open in the orange tier.

As a result unless there is a more nuanced, realistic and agile approach to the tiering implementation from the state, the prudent thing to do for theme park operators may be to forestall opening altogether (for all of 2021) even if a county hits “yellow”, unless there is some level of assurance that business operations can be grandfathered in the event of a seasonal spike.

I think the theme park operators have mostly decided it's worth the risk to attempt to reopen, but we will see.

I seem to remember that the original tiering system had a 14 day average instead of a 7 day. I would guess the 7 day average would be far more sensitive to fluctuation. With case rates mostly trending downward now, I could maybe see them going back to a 14 day average, in order to be more resistant to tier changes, but I doubt they will giver any industry specific exemptions.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Yeah, but it wouldn't really be any different if the Disneyland was allowed to open in the orange tier, and the county slipped back from orange to red.
My concern here is more so that the the delta for what constitutes staying in yellow is rather small compared to Orange which gives a glimmer of greater latitude and predictability to operators. Granted there are ways to solve for this including more adjustments to the metrics (accounting for deaths, % vaccination rates, etc.).

It goes back to what I said when the stay-at-home order was implemented in December: Disney took the risk in reopening Buena Vista Street, knowing it was a possibility it would be shut down again. That same risk will technically hold true whenever Disneyland reopens.
I would imagine here though the cost of scaling to reopen a full theme park vs a few dining establishments in a single land would be exponentially more difficult to scale and expensive. Exponentially more employees to call back, testing and adjusting attractions, etc.

Granted I could see a middle ground where some “high functioning” and/or indoor attractions simply don’t reopen initially and perhaps the parks reopen in “phases” by land. Though in this case I’d think the park would either have to supplement this with food festivals, or other “limited time experiences” to help with spreading out capacity.

el_super

I would imagine here though the cost of scaling to reopen a full theme park vs a few dining establishments in a single land would be exponentially more difficult to scale and expensive. Exponentially more employees to call back, testing and adjusting attractions, etc.

It just depends on how often you have to do that. If the expectation is that the park will have to close when they enter the orange tier, and the tier adjustments are once a week (or every three weeks as it was previously) that give different scenarios. If the cost of bringing everyone back and reopening the park is so high, Disney could decide to eat the cost of having employees sit out for a week if the park has to close again, versus furloughing CMs for a month as they did last time.

Disney is in a much better place now though as far as long term attraction maintenance. At the start of the pandemic, when no one knew or understood how long it would last, and there was a massive push to keep all CMs off property, things were pretty dicey. With the safety protocols implemented now, and understanding with the labor unions, there is no reason CMs couldn't be kept on property to continue the training and maintenance, even if the park is asked to close for a couple weeks. It would just be a matter of whether Disney wants to eat the cost.

Granted I could see a middle ground where some “high functioning” and/or indoor attractions simply don’t reopen initially and perhaps the parks reopen in “phases” by land. Though in this case I’d think the park would either have to supplement this with food festivals, or other “limited time experiences” to help with spreading out capacity.

They could do that.

TP2000

Original Poster
All the most sanitary establishments were ordered to close, making the orders all the more baffling. Science and Data!

And they kept the kitchens open so white collar folks who never lost their jobs could still get their Uber Eats and Doordash deliveries after a long day of Cabernet-fueled Zoom calls.

The Science & Data that actually is available on Covid spread in the restaurant industry shows the tiny amount of Covid spread there is mostly happening back in the kitchens, where staff work side-by-side for long hours in cramped conditions cooking our food.

Science & Data! Except for the restaurant industry, it was all backward and incorrect.

TP2000

Original Poster
Terrible idea. I am thankful we are not Florida.

Why not? It doesn't appear all the California lockdowns did us much good, compared to the reopened Florida. Especially when you consider that Covid mostly kills old people, and there are a lot more old people in Florida than there are in California. Florida has the 5th highest age of state residents in the nation. California is 45th.

#5 Florida resident median age = 42.2 Years
#45 California resident median age = 36.8 Years

Ranked among all 50 states for death rates from Covid...

#1 New Jersey, Covid Deaths Per 1 Million = 2,464
#2 New York, Covid Deaths Per 1 Million = 2,292
#26 Florida, Covid Deaths Per 1 Million = 1,279
#33 California, Covid Deaths Per 1 Million = 1,103
#50 Vermont, Covid Deaths Per 1 Million = 290

Heck, even that chart you posted yourself here a week or so ago shows the latest round of California lockdowns and business closures didn't prevent a rapid rise in Covid cases and deaths in the Golden State. This is the chart you posted here a week ago, with the dates of the Statewide 10PM Curfew noted on November 20th and the Stay-At-Home Order from December 3rd pinpointed by me on your chart.

Inkedchart2_LI.jpg

Last edited:

CaptinEO

"Starting Friday, Feb. 5, you can once again enjoy outdoor dining at Carthay Circle Lounge – Alfresco Dining, with its seasonal menu and unique dining environment on Buena Vista Street, an extension of Downtown Disney District at the Disneyland Resort."

"We highly recommend that you make a reservation for this experience, and reservation times will be available beginning at 11 a.m. PT today, Feb. 3, at Disneyland.com and on the Disneyland mobile app.**"

Once again the menu isn't even remotely the same as actual Carthay Circle. No fried biscuits, duck wings, burger, filet mignon, or pork chops. Just salmon and lamb. No idea why they can't use the real menu.

TP2000

Original Poster
Once again the menu isn't even remotely the same as actual Carthay Circle. No fried biscuits, duck wings, burger, filet mignon, or pork chops. Just salmon and lamb. No idea why they can't use the real menu.

I'd love to know that too.

The only thing I can think of is that because this has to be outdoors and you don't get the full Carthay Circle experience of the gorgeous dining room, they dumbed down the menu and went with lower price points to make it obvious you weren't getting the full Carthay Circle experience.

Or maybe it has something to do with not wanting to bring back the entire kitchen staff of sous chefs and pastry chefs, etc., etc.? Who knows.

But maybe someone with restaurant industry experience could weigh in?

TP2000

Original Poster
They've added tables further out onto the sidewalk and side courtyard used for Disney Jr. queue.

Ete_2H4VEAEcgR0

Outdoor Dining is back in OC! (At least for the big corporate players who had to close Outdoor Dining)

Meanwhile, here are the current stats as of February 6th for ICU capacity in Orange County:

0.0% ICU Capacity (Adjusted, Adult Beds Only)
9.6% ICU Capacity (Unadjusted, Adult Beds Only)

Both the adjusted and unadjusted figures for ICU capacity are well below the 15% capacity threshold originally set forth in December that closed Outdoor Dining back on December 5th. But that Science & Data on ICU capacity only mattered for about seven weeks until suddenly it no longer mattered any more, effective immediately. So now, thank goodness, Outdoor Dining is back at Downtown Disney and Buena Vista Street! 🥳

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

They've added tables further out onto the sidewalk and side courtyard used for Disney Jr. queue.

Ete_2H4VEAEcgR0

Outdoor Dining is back in OC! (At least for the big corporate players who had to close Outdoor Dining)

Meanwhile, here are the current stats as of February 6th for ICU capacity in Orange County:

0.0% ICU Capacity (Adjusted, Adult Beds Only)
9.6% ICU Capacity (Unadjusted, Adult Beds Only)

Both the adjusted and unadjusted figures for ICU capacity are well below the 15% capacity threshold originally set forth in December that closed Outdoor Dining back on December 5th. But that Science & Data on ICU capacity only mattered for about seven weeks until suddenly it no longer mattered any more, effective immediately. So now, thank goodness, Outdoor Dining is back at Downtown Disney and Buena Vista Street! 🥳
are you at Downtown Disney today TP?

TP2000

Original Poster
The side courtyard to Carthay, now set up for Outdoor Dining with heat lamps.

Ete_2H3VIAAWIKk

That's not the most attractive area, is it? It looks kind of like what it is; a queue space for a kiddy theater show with some basic landscaping and a poorly designed mish-mash of temporary signs and poles and general patio crap strewn about.

Not very gracious or elegant looking, so it's probably for the best that they are only offering a cheaper and stripped down Carthay menu. :oops:

I don't know, gang, for this price point I think I'd rather go dine at Pacific City or somewhere along the coast with a purposeful patio setup and a much better view.

Last edited:

fctiger

Patently false:

In our January survey, Governor Newsom’s approval rating among California likely voters is at 52%, compared to 49% in January 2020 and 43% in January 2019. His approval rating over time hovers around 50%—it surpassed 60% twice after COVID-19 struck.
It takes a majority vote to remove the governor. Right now, 43% disapprove of Gavin Newsom. For perspective, seven in ten likely voters disapproved of Gray Davis (72% February 2003; 75% June 2003; 72% July 2003; 72% August 2003; 71% September 2003) before 55% voted to remove him in October 2003.

Please do not post misinformation.

Great to hear! While I don't support every measure Newson has done (like getting rid of outdoor dining and happy its back) I support most including keeping the parks closed. Of course I would love them to be open tomorrow but I support it until things are less crazy. But now with the vaccines and there will be a bigger effort to get more people vaccinated in the next few months I am hoping we get a summer opening or possibly even a spring one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom