Super Early Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 Thread

champdisney

This is a nonsense comment.

Gunn made awful jokes. He apologized.

He got hired for GOTG.

He made the first film.

He made the second film.

Disney fires him after only now realizing he made bad tweets (which is a lie....they knew from day one).

They’re cowards. They caved to a rape denying alt right lunatic.
Again, you’re a funny guy. Because I have a difference of opinion from you, you dismiss it as nonsense. Okay brother.

You can blame the alt-right all you want but the left has used this tactic time and time again to get their way, so how is this any different? Will you acknowledge that? Probably not.

Tony Perkis

Again, you’re a funny guy. Because I have a difference of opinion from you, you dismiss it as nonsense. Okay brother.

You can blame the alt-right all you want but the left has used this tactic time and time again to get their way, so how is this any different? Will you acknowledge that? Probably not.
Oh, so you’re one of those people.

EDIT: I will not be responding further to this thread in a political manner. It’s a recipe for disaster. I’m happy to discuss outside of the forum but not here.

Disneyfanman

Well, I guess my question is why now. I have a hard time believing Disney had no clue about this. If not before guardians 1, for sure guardians 2. Maybe Gunn and Disney weren't getting along anymore and this resurfacing was a good out.
Well I speculate that the producers were aware but the studio head or the BOD did NOT know. The publicity drew their attention and down came the hammer: Not hard to understand really. The company took a stand. I personally think it was an appropriate decision.

champdisney

The logic is there and it’s simple. Disney is no longer the big risk taking company it once was. They already suffered a big loss with Solo. James Gunn had to go for the sheer reason, that if he had stayed, people would protest against GOTG3 and God knows what other Marvel films (or Disney in that manner, period). Everyone knows Disney is a money making business that has it’s sights with protecting it's image. Plain and simple.

This isn’t the early 90’s where everything was tight lipped and convicted sickos like Victor Silva could come in and direct a film for Disney after a three year prison sentence. Not many knew of this at the time, then again social media didn’t exist either. Times have changed. People are not going to condone that sort of questionable conduct, whether online or in a face to face interaction.

This brings me back to the time when Hulk Hogan got busted for his racial rant around this time in 2015. It was publicized 7 years later and came out of nowhere. People immediately threw stones his way and his employer at the time (WWE) fired him almost instantly. People applauded that outcome but now there’s this double standard when it comes to Gunn making crazy jokes about kids. I don’t understand those kinds of people but I do see the corporate logic behind the decision.

Tony Perkis

The logic is there and it’s simple. Disney is no longer the big risk taking company it once was. They already suffered a big loss with Solo. James Gunn had to go for the sheer reason, that if he had stayed, people would protest against GOTG3 and God knows what other Marvel films (or Disney in that manner, period). Everyone knows Disney is a money making business that has it’s sights with protecting it's image. Plain and simple.

This isn’t the early 90’s where everything was tight lipped and convicted sickos like Victor Silva could come in and direct a film for Disney after a three year prison sentence. Not many knew of this at the time, then again social media didn’t exist either. Times have changed. People are not going to condone that sort of questionable conduct, whether online or in a face to face interaction.

This brings me back to the time when Hulk Hogan got busted for his racial rant around this time in 2015. It was publicized 7 years later and came out of nowhere. People immediately threw stones his way and his employer at the time (WWE) fired him almost instantly. People applauded that outcome but now there’s this double standard when it comes to Gunn making crazy jokes about kids. I don’t understand those kinds of people but I do see the corporate logic behind the decision.
I still don’t agree with this because there are still too many examples of Disney’s hypocrisy.

There is a joke (and a documentary) called “The Aristocrats”. The basic gist of the joke is a group visits a talent agent to show them their act. The comedian improvises a long, drawn out act of sexual and moral absurdity with the most lewd, offensive things you can think of. Really dark stuff. And the jokes punchline at the end.....”what do you call this act?”

“The Aristocrats”. Because it’s a classy name.

You know who has made this joke and have had easily available footage of them making these jokes? And this is just people who’ve had major ties to Disney.

-Sarah Silverman (still actively employed for Wreck-It Ralph)
-Gilbert Gottfried
-Robin William
-Bob Saget (probably the dirtiest rendition of all)
-Drew Carey
-Carrie Fisher
-Whoopi Goldberg
-Don Rickles
And these are just people in the film.

But Disney fires someone because of a few jokes in tweets. Hypocritical. And they’re cowards to caving into a hate-mongering Info Wars “coorespondant”.

LSLS

I still don’t agree with this because there are still too many examples of Disney’s hypocrisy.

There is a joke (and a documentary) called “The Aristocrats”. The basic gist of the joke is a group visits a talent agent to show them their act. The comedian improvises a long, drawn out act of sexual and moral absurdity with the most lewd, offensive things you can think of. Really dark stuff. And the jokes punchline at the end.....”what do you call this act?”

You know who has made this joke and have had easily available footage of them making these jokes? And this is just people who’ve had major ties to Disney.

-Gilbert Gottfried
-Robin William
-Drew Carey
-Carrie Fisher
-Whoopi Goldberg
-Don Rickles

But Disney fires someone because of a few jokes in tweets. Hypocritical. And they’re cowards to caving into a hate-mongering Info Wars “coorespondant”.

Im still not sure what to make of the firing, but there is a difference between a comedian and a director.

Tony Perkis

Im still not sure what to make of the firing, but there is a difference between a comedian and a director.
Yeah, one is a job responsibility. That makes no difference.

Gunn is also a writer, which you could also say about all comedians who write jokes.

champdisney

-Gilbert Gottfried
-Robin William
-Drew Carey
-Carrie Fisher
-Whoopi Goldberg
-Don Rickles

It’s okay for you to disagree. It would be unethical of me to call your opinions nonsense. Granted, the comedians you’ve listed did make dirty jokes but how many decades ago was that? Excluding Sarah Silverman for a moment, but the rest of these comedians made these jokes in a time where everyone wasn’t all touchy-feely about everything. Even then, people would’ve raised a brow to jokes pertaining to pedophilia. Back to Silverman, she continues to be shut down every time she opens her filthy mouth. She fits the role of a child perfectly being that she is one.

Tony Perkis

It’s okay for you to disagree. It would be unethical of me to call your opinions nonsense. Granted, the comedians you’ve listed did make dirty jokes but how many decades ago was that? Excluding Sarah Silverman for a moment, but the rest of these comedians made these jokes in a time where everyone wasn’t all touchy-feely about everything. Even then, people would’ve raised a brow to jokes pertaining to pedophilia. Back to Silverman, she continues to be shut down every time she opens her filthy mouth. She fits the role of a child perfectly being that she is one.
Dirty jokes aren’t bad on their own. Personally, I’m all for comedians pushing the boundaries. I don’t care if a small percentage of people are offended. Sarah Silverman and Anthony Jeselnik was are offensive as hell, but they’re funny.

The moment a thought police decide where the line is, we are officially in a authoritarian environment.

Magenta Panther

Okay, so let's say Disney decided to defend Gunn instead of firing him. What would its press release say? That Gunn has a right to free speech, and besides, he apologized? Then what about Roseanne, who also has a right to free speech, apologized but was still fired? And ANYWAY, the main thing is the nature of the "jokes" Gunn told. Why in HELL would Disney want to be associated with that stuff, or with someone who thought it was funny? Disney's family-friendly public image could be forever tainted if it accommodated Gunn. Not to mention that it would look like a complete political hypocrite because it didn't defend Roseanne.

Yes, Disney has employed edgy performers in the past. But how many, aside from Gunn, were so deeply into jokes about pedophilia?

Some of you guys are being very unrealistic. Maybe other studios could have gotten away with not firing Gunn, MAYBE. but not Disney. No way in heck.

Tony Perkis

Okay, so let's say Disney decided to defend Gunn instead of firing him. What would its press release say? That Gunn has a right to free speech, and besides, he apologized? Then what about Roseanne, who also has a right to free speech, apologized but was still fired? And ANYWAY, the main thing is the nature of the "jokes" Gunn told. Why in HELL would Disney want to be associated with that stuff, or with someone who thought it was funny? Disney's family-friendly public image could be forever tainted if it accommodated Gunn. Not to mention that it would look like a complete political hypocrite because it didn't defend Roseanne.

Yes, Disney has employed edgy performers in the past. But how many, aside from Gunn, were so deeply into jokes about pedophilia?

Some of you guys are being very unrealistic. Maybe other studios could have gotten away with not firing Gunn, MAYBE. but not Disney. No way in heck.
The Roseanne example is a bad counterpoint.

Gunn made bad jokes, but that’s all they were. And they were all before Disney hired him for GOTG, and GOTG was after he publicly apologized in 2012.

Roseanne made a very obvious racial slur to a very specific person the day she got fired.

I have a hard time with his one. John Lassiter is allowed a 6 month sabbatical before being let go for actual, real allegations. Those are serious legal and moral issues that Disney ignored until it was too late.

There isn’t a single example of Gunn ever, in reality, crossing a line. He made bad jokes; that is literally it.

And so has every comedian ever. And quite frankly, when done right, those jokes are hysterical (Anthony Jeselnik).

This is fake outrage by people who think they’re morally superior. Which is a crock coming from the MAGA crowd.

Last edited:

Bairstow

Roseanne's statements were made while in their employ.
Gunn's were not.

Phroobar

If you have money, people will want it. Easy way to get money from you is to bring up some non-pc statement or act you made on the internet and embarrass you publicly. It's called extortion.

Disneyfanman

I really think that people are judging Disney very harshly.

Disney is a company that makes money (like it or not) by selling a romanticized version of humanity. Gunns comments were beyond the pale, even if they were packaged as jokes. I don’t think he presented them as humor on the original tweets. They were presented as his opinions.

I have a relative who constantly slanders minorities in a manner that is unbelievable. He raised his kids to do the same thing. They are all fond of saying the most racist and horrible things in private company. In his real life job he acted as the leader of a major labor union that represented many of the people that he spoke about. When I ask him about this, he says that he is “just kidding” and that he shouldn’t be judged by his humor. He never acted on the things that he kidded about (i.e. “burn the ........ and the US would be a better place). If his comments and behavior became public knowledge to the people he represented, should they continue to allow him to lead?

What is the line? Are people to be valued for who they are or who they were? Does the statement that “I was just joking when I posted publicly about foul and terrible things” give you a complete get out of jail card? I don’t know the answer but I do know that Gunn said some awful things because he says that he was trying to be provocative. I also know that these comments were a decade old and that he has taken responsibility for saying them in what I perceived as a classy and humble manner. I am really sad about how this all unfolded.

One item that is very interesting, that I did not expect, was that the Guardians very diverse cast is standing up for him in a very public manner. You did NOT see that with Rosanne. You did NOT see that with Lassatter. In fact, with all of the crazy stuff happening in Hollywood I haven’t seen that at all before. Maybe there is still more to this story and this becomes a tale of redemption after all.

Mouse3268

DjXhMELUwAAokn7.jpg

Princess Leia

I don't want to get my hopes up about Gunn being rehired... I really don't want to have the chance to think it could happen, but that doesn't mean that I'll be upset if it does. On the contrary, I'd be pretty dang happy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom