Summer House on the Lake coming to Disney Springs in 2023

Bocabear

Epic Universe.
LOL! Seriously though....How long ago did they tear down Bongos? (December 2019)...3 years + later we are at this point...and this is a major restaurant in the middle of a major shopping and dining attraction center...I would not expect it to be finished until 2024... that would make it 4 years to replace a restaurant with another similar restaurant to The Boathouse......not something unique or worth waiting for... At least Bongos had something different to offer....

Last edited:

SoFloMagic

LOL! Seriously though....How long ago did they tear down Bongos? (December 2019)...3 years + later we are at this point...and this is a major restaurant in the middle of a major shopping and dining attraction center...I would not expect it to be finished until 2014... that would make it 4 years to replace a restaurant with another similar restaurant to The Boathouse......not something unique or worth waiting for... At least Bongos had something different to offer....
To be fair, covid probably caused an 18 month delay. But still... Nearly two years and we don't even have walls

Bocabear

This is not good, because construction projects are not meant to go backwards in time.
typo but it does feel like we are going backwards in time waiting for it lol.... Add on the dragging Cake Bake Shop renovation... and like I said previously, I have watched full high rise apartment buildings go up faster then these small projects....

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Couple photos from the weekend.

IMG_4238.jpeg
IMG_4241.jpeg

Bocabear

Is anybody actually excited about another very expensive corporate "Hospitality Group" restaurant similar to Boathouse and several other locations opening up here? I thought Beatrix was a bad idea akin to Pollo Campero, but this seems just so.... meh.
Disney Springs is nothing but expensive corporate restaurants.... It would be nice if this had been something unique...
Even a good Argentinian Steakhouse type place would have at least been different....

Comped

Is anybody actually excited about another very expensive corporate "Hospitality Group" restaurant similar to Boathouse and several other locations opening up here? I thought Beatrix was a bad idea akin to Pollo Campero, but this seems just so.... meh.
Disney Springs is nothing but expensive corporate restaurants.... It would be nice if this had been something unique...
Even a good Argentinian Steakhouse type place would have at least been different....
I'm always surprised Darden hasn't put one of their more expensive concepts in DS, considering how close DS is to their HQ. Maybe it's a question of style or they just don't want to pay the crazy rent Disney wants...

Stitchon

I'm always surprised Darden hasn't put one of their more expensive concepts in DS, considering how close DS is to their HQ. Maybe it's a question of style or they just don't want to pay the crazy rent Disney wants...
That, or Disney would be embarrassed to have a Capital Grille or Eddie V's on property with how bad their own steakhouses are.

Bocabear

That is kind of true... I think they need to start getting unique and special businesses in Disney Springs... It is a popular destination, but only because it is a shopping and dining destination...and people love them... It could easily be as popular with more unique and special businesses rather than the standard array of shops in everyone's home town...only thing they are missing now is a CVS or Walgreens.
I really wish that Summerhouse On The Lake was going to have a more unique design and I am sure menu... It looks like a standard modern expensive (Capital Grill) type place... not something that would be a real experience...

DC0703

I know many here are lukewarm on this addition. I've eaten at the Chicago location and the food is quite good. Particularly the pizza, which is better than most of what they serve around Disney. I've always been a fan of Lettuce Entertain You restuarants, and there are a lot of them locally where I live.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I know many here are lukewarm on this addition. I've eaten at the Chicago location and the food is quite good. Particularly the pizza, which is better than most of what they serve around Disney. I've always been a fan of Lettuce Entertain You restuarants, and there are a lot of them locally where I live.
Sounds like a great addition to me. They need to pickup the pace on construction.

Richie248

It's a decent spot, wish they would bring RPM Italian to Disney Springs. Used to live around the corner from the River North location and always enjoyed it there.

Comped

That is kind of true... I think they need to start getting unique and special businesses in Disney Springs... It is a popular destination, but only because it is a shopping and dining destination...and people love them... It could easily be as popular with more unique and special businesses rather than the standard array of shops in everyone's home town...only thing they are missing now is a CVS or Walgreens.
I really wish that Summerhouse On The Lake was going to have a more unique design and I am sure menu... It looks like a standard modern expensive (Capital Grill) type place... not something that would be a real experience...
They do have some rather unique stores - the particularly (for a non-flagship) large Lego story (which somehow still isn't big enough with the liens we see), the glass store by WoD (which is excellent for Christmas/Birthday gifts), Uniquo's giant location (closer to a location in Japan in size than most of their US stores), Art of Disney (for obvious reasons), the M&Ms store (relatively few in the US in the first place), House of Blues (again, relatively few), most of their restaurants in general, I could go on. Not amazingly special, but still unique even when compared to the upscale Mecca that is Millennium Mall, or the consumerist paradise of Florida Mall, both located within a relatively short driving distance. Back in the day though, DS/DD couldn't hold a candle to Artegon in terms of unique offerings, but it hasn't existed in years.

Bocabear

most of the unique offerings you mention predate the change to "Disney Springs"... M&M store and Uniquo might be more unique, but again overall feels like a standard lifestyle center that can be found all over the country... the "Disney" part of it takes a huge backseat...
This entire shopping/dining/nightclub property felt more special in the 90s...it was certainly more unique...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom