Suit: Disney's Tower of Terror gave British teen heart attack, stroke

The Disney Kid

I understand your position -- don't misunderstand me. I don't think Disney is liable in any way. I think they'll settle though as an act of good will, lets call it. It's not like people are dying or getting hurt left and right on Disney attractions. But for the people that do get hurt, it shows Disney 'cares' about it's guests. By keeping the settlement out of court they avoid the legal precedent so they are not obligated to pay out everytime .. it's at their discretion.

Again, I only think paying the family is in their best interest from a PR standpoint, not as a legal obligation. :wave:

I agree, Disney isn't liable. Now they have to fight this bogus suit so as not to set a really bad precedent. And when they win, and they will win because these people have no case, Disney can give the $15,000 as a goodwill gesture. And the recipients of Disneys goodwill can give MOST of the money to the smarmy lawyer that told them they had a case.....Hmmmm, who are they going to sue for THAT money? It's a conundrum! :hammer:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
ori·ental·ly adv.
Usage Note: Asian is now strongly preferred in place of Oriental for persons native to Asia or descended from an Asian people. The usual objection to Orientalmeaning "eastern"is that it identifies Asian countries and peoples in terms of their location relative to Europe. However, this objection is not generally made of other Eurocentric terms such as Near and Middle Eastern. The real problem with Oriental is more likely its connotations stemming from an earlier era when Europeans viewed the regions east of the Mediterranean as exotic lands full of romance and intrigue, the home of despotic empires and inscrutable customs. At the least these associations can give Oriental a dated feel, and as a noun in contemporary contexts (as in the first Oriental to be elected from the district) it is now widely taken to be offensive. However, Oriental should not be thought of as an ethnic slur to be avoided in all situations. As with Asiatic, its use other than as an ethnonym, in phrases such as Oriental cuisine or Oriental medicine, is not usually considered objectionable.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved

For those of the Mounted offended division.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Perhaps you're just kidding and I'm not familiar enough to recognize it. Otherwise, your ignorance merits a response.

FYI: carpets are oriental, people are Asian

I believe it was a tongue in cheek response referring to another thread that became kinda...interesting... regarding this very "Eastern" matter.

Uncle Lupe

Found this this morning

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.u...l/article.html

"Lawyers fighting for a girl left severely brain-damaged after going on a Walt Disney World ride have revealed they are hoping to win $14 million for her family"

"Last night, Robert Melton, Leanne's American lawyer, told the Leicester Mercury he thought the 20-year-old deserved at least $14million – about £10 million – to pay for her future medical care and to cover the "pain and suffering" caused to her family."

Even if they settle out of court they probably get something.

I put this in the other thread but didn't see it in this one yet.

sublimesting

I believe it was a tongue in cheek response referring to another thread that became kinda...interesting... regarding this very "Eastern" matter.

Yo! Why does it have to be Eastern!!! I am an American and the orient is closer to me if I go WEST!!! Why do you have to be offensive to Americans...like our location in the world means nothing?!? Europe, Europe, Europe!!!.....:cry:

just kidding everybody, have a magical day....

wait I've heard that is used offensively by certain CMs.....

just, have a.....day:wave:

sublimesting

Found this this morning

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.u...l/article.html

"Lawyers fighting for a girl left severely brain-damaged after going on a Walt Disney World ride have revealed they are hoping to win $14 million for her family"

"Last night, Robert Melton, Leanne's American lawyer, told the Leicester Mercury he thought the 20-year-old deserved at least $14million – about £10 million – to pay for her future medical care and to cover the "pain and suffering" caused to her family."

Even if they settle out of court they probably get something.

I put this in the other thread but didn't see it in this one yet.

I feel bad for the girl, but NOT Disney's fault. She had an underlying condition and it was bound to occur at some point. Where it manifests itself should not be who is punished. Hopefully she has insurance because insurance is who should pay for this and what it is for....not suing everyone else.

Pluto'sGrl

ori·ental·ly adv.
Usage Note: Asian is now strongly preferred in place of Oriental for persons native to Asia or descended from an Asian people. The usual objection to Orientalmeaning "eastern"is that it identifies Asian countries and peoples in terms of their location relative to Europe. However, this objection is not generally made of other Eurocentric terms such as Near and Middle Eastern. The real problem with Oriental is more likely its connotations stemming from an earlier era when Europeans viewed the regions east of the Mediterranean as exotic lands full of romance and intrigue, the home of despotic empires and inscrutable customs. At the least these associations can give Oriental a dated feel, and as a noun in contemporary contexts (as in the first Oriental to be elected from the district) it is now widely taken to be offensive. However, Oriental should not be thought of as an ethnic slur to be avoided in all situations. As with Asiatic, its use other than as an ethnonym, in phrases such as Oriental cuisine or Oriental medicine, is not usually considered objectionable.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved

For those of the Mounted offended division.

lol does that make me a member of the mounted offended division? I'm not sure if this post supports my post or contradicts it. Thanks to unkadug for explaining that this is an ongoing inside jokefrom a different thread. I didn't mean to get anyone's hackles up.:shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom