Suing Disney

Overly litigious man from Clearwater: "Hello, Disney... I have a questionable painting that I am willing to sell to you."

Disney Rep: ".... okay... we're not interested. Thank you for your offer."

Overly litigious man from Clearwater: "But Walt Disney himself painted it (the following was mumbled under his breath)... though I can't prove it."

Disney Rep: "Again, sir, we're really not interested. Have a magical day."

Overly litigious man from Clearwater:"Oh yeah, well I'm gonna FORCE you to buy it!! I'm suing you!! I'm going to force someone to make a $50,000,000 purchase of something they have no use, want or desire for!!!"

Disney Rep: "Um.... I'll patch you through to our legal department... all I do is take priority seating for meals."

:lol::ROFLOL::lol:
I loved the ending.

Tim G

So let me get this straight...

Guy has original painting down by Walt.
Guy wants Disney Co. to buy said painting.
Disney Co. doesn't want it since it doesn't have Walt's signature on it.
Guy gets it authenticated to show them proof.
Disney STILL doesn't want it.
Guy is mad Disney blows him off and wants their money.

Guy must keep his mouth shut...
Guy doesn't get the 50mil...

So Corrus will still keep his goodbye bonus... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

To clear up a bit of erroneous information about copyrights and how long they last.... The current law has them lasting 70 years after the death of the original author/painter/whatever. Unless it was done for a company as work for hire in which case it lasts betwen 95 and 120 years depending on the date it is/was published.

Laws are a little more complicated for older stuff with various dates setting differing time limits. But no copyright lasts forever, they just seem to. Anything prior to 1923 are considered public domain (ever wonder why English books in the US love to push really old writing as being great literature? its because they don't have to pay any royalties for including Melville and Edgar Allen Poe)

And as silly as the suit sounds it could actually have merit, if Disney knows of the painting and knows that it is authentic or has reason to believe it is authentic and states then that the work is not. He might have a suit, but if they simply refuse to support his claim and remain silent he has nothing.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
In the 2/7/7 issue of the Disney insider a question was posted in the ask Dave section concerning Disney art authentication. Dave replied that Disney does not authenticate any art work signatures etc.

Disney Insider said:
YOUR QUESTION
Dave, how would one know if a signature, drawing, or cel is original? Where would one send a piece for authentification?
- Bill, 53, Delaware, OH

DAVE'S ANSWER
While we do not authenticate Walt Disney signatures or drawings, we would be glad to take a look at it and give our opinion. Send a copy (please, don't send originals!) to the Walt Disney Archives, 500 S. Buena Vista St., Burbank, CA 91521-3040.

Plane Crazy

Dewey, Cheetum and Howe.

Is that from the Three Stooges?

As far as I know, the lawfirm of Dewey, Cheetum and Howe is not from The Three Stooges. It's from a show entitled "Car Talk" on National Public Radio hosted by Click and Clack... the Tappet Brothers.

In the end credits, after listing (and lampooning) the actual staff of Car Talk (including their producer, Doug "The Subway Fugitive", "Not a Slave to Fashion", "Bongo Boy", "Frogman" Berman), the brothers list a long series of unusual names. "Paul Murky of Murky Research", assisted by statistician "Marge Innovera" (margin of error), and their Russian chauffeur Pikov Andropov (pick up and drop off) are only a few of a long series of perennial "staffers" in the Car Talk credits.

The lawfirm of Dewey, Cheetum, and Howe is listed by the Tappet brothers as their attorneys.

Plane Crazy

Another tidbit...

Here is something interesting I learned about Dewey, Cheetham and Howe from Wikipedia. I thought I'd pass this along (if you are confused, read my previous post)

Dewey, Cheetham, and Howe is the corporation established to manage the business end of the Car Talk syndicated radio show. [3] Initially a joke (the name is pronounced the same as "Do we cheat 'em? And how!"), the company soon took on reality as Car Talk expanded from a single station (WBUR in Boston) to an NPR-syndicated national show.
The DC&H corporate offices are located on a third-floor office, directly above the corner of Brattle and JFK Streets, in Harvard Square, Cambridge, Massachusetts. The office is clearly visible from the square and, like the show, is a perennial source of amusement to the denizens of Cambridge.

slappy magoo

As far as I know, the lawfirm of Dewey, Cheetum and Howe is not from The Three Stooges. It's from a show entitled "Car Talk" on National Public Radio hosted by Click and Clack... the Tappet Brothers.

In the end credits, after listing (and lampooning) the actual staff of Car Talk (including their producer, Doug "The Subway Fugitive", "Not a Slave to Fashion", "Bongo Boy", "Frogman" Berman), the brothers list a long series of unusual names. "Paul Murky of Murky Research", assisted by statistician "Marge Innovera" (margin of error), and their Russian chauffeur Pikov Andropov (pick up and drop off) are only a few of a long series of perennial "staffers" in the Car Talk credits.

The lawfirm of Dewey, Cheetum, and Howe is listed by the Tappet brothers as their attorneys.

They use the joke, but that doesn't mean they created the joke.

http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Dewey-Cheatum-Howe-Posters_i1661359_.htm

OK, I'm not necessarily right. Though I've seen plenty of Three Stooges paraphernalia featuring a sign calling them "Dewey, Cheatum and Howe, Attorneys At Law," apparently they never appeared in a short as those characters. It's possible that it's comes from dialogue from one of their shorts "ie, we're in trouble, better call our lawyers, get me the number for Dewey, Cheatum and Howe!" Or it could be that the guys from Car Talk created the joke and it's over the years been appropriated by fans of the Stooges. I still suspect it comes from a joke in one of the Stooges' Shorts in one form or the other, but right now I can't find info on it, and I'd rather say "I might be wrong," and then be wrong then say "I KNOW I'M RIGHT" and be wrong.

Walt wasn't really an artist...he did doodle and such, but I don't know that I'd believe a painting without a signature on it either. Maybe he did....I suppose Diane could answer that question. Walt was the story and Iwerks and Co. were the artists.

Sounds kinda fishy to me....

Update: Walt was an artist (guess I pay more attention to his company than him)...he liked to draw and went to school for art. So maybe he did paint it....now....is the guy willing to go through the task of having the paint on the canvas dated and analyzed? That would show when the paint was approximately from and whether the paint was actually available at the time frame that Mickey Mouse was developed and pursued in cartoons. I heard about a painting that some guy claimed was real and then they analyzed the paint only to find that the paint mixutre used in the painting wasn't invented until 35 years after the time frame he claimed it was from...side note: the artist was dead by that time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom