Suggestions on Character Dining

njBadLands

In February my son will be 7 1/2 months old when he visits Disney for the first time.

We have our Dining Reservations booked already, but our friends recently went with their son (7 months at the time) and booked a character breakfast (I think at yacht club or beach club) and said their son really enjoyed it.

I was skeptical because I know they typically cost a lot, but wanted some other opinions. My wife seems very interested and I think she'd really like to get pictures with the baby and characters, but I am still not sure if it's worth it.

Has anyone brought a younger child to a character dining experience and how did it go? does anyone have any suggestions on a good/cost effective option?

betaztest

Forget the cost - character meals are absolutely 100% worth it. In fact, most are not much more expensive than other Disney restaurants. My kids are now 15 and 17 and we still go to characters meals. My suggestion for a baby would be crystal palace (pooh characters) but chef mickeys would be good too. Just my 2 cents....

Upvote 0

njBadLands

Original Poster
I'm not as concerned about cost, but more the cost associated with it if a 7 month old doesn't even realize what is going on. I am sure at the very least it will be worth it for my wife and I (pictures, etc) so that's why I'm leaning towards it.

Right now we have all of our dinners booked, but if there is a really good one (meaning food is good too) I would change if its available.

If not, breakfast works too. Figure if only my wife and I are eating I can definitely swing up to $40/person. I am assuming it is in that range?

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

While my kids were a bit older on their first trips, I have friends who have done character meals with infants. The two best pics I've seen (you'll have to just work with my descriptions :D)...

1. my friend's twin girls - about 9 months old being snuggled by Minnie at Chef Mickey's
2. another friend's son who was around 11 months old- cozying up to Piglet at Crystal Place.

Obviously it was cute, but the babies all looked SOOOOOOO happy. Their eyes absolutely lit up and they were all sporting that sweet baby grin with those first few teeth. LOVED IT!!!

Breakfast is the best bet cost wise and breakfast food at most of the buffets can be better than dinner food. I know the dinner menu at Chef Mickey's left us feeling :hurl: but we've enjoyed breakfast at both Chef Mickey's and Crystal Palace...which would also be my top 2 choices for a character meal for an infant...i.e. fab 5 or Pooh & friends.

Upvote 0

jayhawkmickey

Chef mickey's breakfast is great (way better than lunch) and the characters do a fantastic job when they come around to the tables. I will say a kid that young wont remember anything so the meet and eat is just for you and your wife. There will be some cute pictures to remember the visit.

Upvote 0

jhastings74

Everybody has great responses, so I'll just throw mine in there, too. When my youngest was still itty bitty, we did the Crystal Palace with the Pooh characters (because his room was done up with Pooh characters) and WE loved it and were thrilled with the photos that we were able to get of him with each character. They went into frames in his room and we were thrilled with the character interaction with ALL of us (we have some great pics of them with ME, too...lol). Either way, as others have said, it'll be more for you guys and you can't go wrong with Crystal Palace or Chef Mickey's.

Upvote 0

mets7

I'm not as concerned about cost, but more the cost associated with it if a 7 month old doesn't even realize what is going on. I am sure at the very least it will be worth it for my wife and I (pictures, etc) so that's why I'm leaning towards it.

Right now we have all of our dinners booked, but if there is a really good one (meaning food is good too) I would change if its available.

If not, breakfast works too. Figure if only my wife and I are eating I can definitely swing up to $40/person. I am assuming it is in that range?

On our first trip Our daughter was 9 months and we did Cinderalla's royal table for Dinner. She loved the characters, she wasn't as much into the face characters, but she absolutely loved the mice. When we saw Mickey and Minnie (not at a meal) she went nuts, laughing and waving. So I think the Crystal palace or Chef Mickeys for breakfast would be great.

Upvote 0

ml123_9

Our daughter had just turned 1 for our last trip in September and she loved the characters. We did 3 character meals, all with the fab 5, and she recognized all of them and love it. It may have helped that our son watches MM Clubhouse and she knew them from it. It was definately worth it for us.

Upvote 0

Fable McCloud

My friend and I are going to WDW in September 2013. We're saving now, and I was wondering what you guys thought about the Princess Breakfast, aka Cinderella's Royal Table.

We both love the Princesses, and I'll be 27, and she'll be 19. Is it worth it without children? Will we still have a good time, or will it be pandemonium and a total catastrophe?

Upvote 0

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Chef Mickey's for Breakfast!

I don't know how your 7 month will respond but you guys will have a great time
and as mentioned already no matter what your child remembers or how he reacts you'll have some great photo ops!

FYI - My Son 12 and Daughter 16 (both too cool for school :animwink:) still insist on at least one character meal per yearly visit!

Upvote 0

LoriSue

I have to respectfully disagree with CP and CM. I've eaten at both of them and I think the character experience at both is great but as far as food, my favorite is Hollywood and Vine at DHS. I think that's the best as far as food goes, the characters are Handy Manny, Little Einsteins and Oso. I also love the food at Cape May Cafe at Yacht and Beach Club and they do have the Fab 5 plus Chip and Dale. You can't go wrong with them. ;)

Upvote 0

boilerpicc

I didn't go to Cinderella's Royal Table, but I did the princess breakfast at Norway in EPCOT with my adult family. My husband and I were 30 and my brother was 27. We had a blast. It was a pretty good breakfast buffet and did not feel overrun with kids. The princesses each came by our table so there was no competing in line with a bunch of kids.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Maybe I've just been to too many character meals, but I think they're a ripoff. The food is OK, but not worth $120 for a family of 5, and the characters (depending on location) can spend little, if any time at your table. I'd save the money for a good meal, and go to the character spot at Epcot for free.

Upvote 0

bmarkelon

Our little girl was almost 8 months for her first trip to Disney a couple years ago and she loved the characters at our breakfasts. Character meals are an absolute must on our trips. Our kiddos have absolutely enjoyed them at every age from 7 months to 6 years so far. It is part of the magic on our trips. For some reason Ohana has always stood out as another favorite, my daughter loved Lilo and Stitch. Of course Chef Mickeys is another favorite. Crystal Palace is great too for the really little ones, they love Pooh and friends. Our experience has told us that the breakfasts are the best way to go. Have a magical trip!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom