Suggestions for WDW experience without the parks

elcid93

I am going to Orlando next week for a business convention, but I don't have time to go to any of the parks. I am bringing my wife and 7 month old along.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? For instance, we are definitely going to Downtown Disney, but what about maybe a restaraunt like the California Grill? Anything to give a Disney experience without the time or $65 for a couple of hours in the park.

We have been to all the parks for the past 3 years in a row, so I don't have a burning desire to shell out the money for the lack of time.

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!:wave:

Vernonpush

The Mini Golf courses are fun and have the Disney feel. I'm not sure if your 3 year old would be able to play, but you should be able to judge that for yourself.

Upvote 0

MouseearsDeb

Kona Cafe at the Poly was very nice. Depending on how late you are having diner, I believe at California Grill, you can see the fireworks. Never done it ourselves, but have read about it. Another thing you might do is one of the dinner shows, some have characters. Oh, how could I forget. If you are going to be there Halloween or the days before, you might check into doing the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. It starts late afternoon/early evening and I believe if you only go to the party, you only have to buy the event tickets. We went for the first time on 10/5 and it was unbelievable. My husband, who has been the last 3 years, very much enjoyed this. Everyone can 'dress up' and 'trick or treat'. I did! and it was a blast. If your there when MNSSHP is going on, and have the time, I would definitely recommend it. Great photo ops, excellent parade and fireworks! Well, you get the picture. Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Dinner anywhere on the monorail line is a great idea. If possible plan your dinner to finish up just before Wishes so you can head out to the beach at the Poly to watch it. Or better yet if you do dinner at CG watch it from the observation deck on top of the Contemporary. IMHO I would rather watch Wishes from ontop of the Contemporary than in MK. There is also the water pageant parade visible from all the monorail resorts as well as the wilderness lodge. The pageant is around 9:00 PM I think.

Upvote 0

Vernonpush

If you are going to be there Halloween or the days before, you might check into doing the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. It starts late afternoon/early evening and I believe if you only go to the party, you only have to buy the event tickets. We went for the first time on 10/5 and it was unbelievable. My husband, who has been the last 3 years, very much enjoyed this. Everyone can 'dress up' and 'trick or treat'. I did! and it was a blast. If your there when MNSSHP is going on, and have the time, I would definitely recommend it. Great photo ops, excellent parade and fireworks! Well, you get the picture. Hope this helps.

Good luck!

I you're going after Halloween, but before Christmas, there's Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. It is a "Special Ticket" at the MK, from 7:00 til 12:00 (I think) in the evening.

Upvote 0

tampabrad

The best free things on property would be Animal Kingdom Lodge to see the animals and Fort Wilderness for the bonfire, movie and characters, Electrical Water Pagent on Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon.

If you want to spend some money, rent boats, bikes at some of the resorts, WinterSummerland and Fantasia Gardens. It would probably be difficult with a 7 month old, but there is horseback riding at Ft Wilderness. Carriage Rides or Hayrides. Can't think of anything else right now.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Depending on their schedule & availability (not to mention yours), find out if you can get tix to the final show of the evening at the Hoop-De-Doo Musical Revue at Fort Wilderness. Get to FW much earlier than necessary and watch some of the movies they air outdoors (and since I'm not a fan of the dessert they give you at the HDD, I'd say have some mores at the movies, too). If the movie ain't grabbing you, take a carriage ride, or just walk along the water that over looks the MK. It's all kinda fun, it's all kinda Disney, and depending on how stressful your conferences are, the HDD gives you all-you-can-drink beer and sangria!

Upvote 0

PintoColvig

The best free things on property would be Animal Kingdom Lodge to see the animals and Fort Wilderness for the bonfire, movie and characters, Electrical Water Pagent on Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon.

If you want to spend some money, rent boats, bikes at some of the resorts, WinterSummerland and Fantasia Gardens. It would probably be difficult with a 7 month old, but there is horseback riding at Ft Wilderness. Carriage Rides or Hayrides. Can't think of anything else right now.

I would second the AKL. Make a reservation at Boma (one of my fav. WDW restaurants) and go early or stay late and check out their private savannah.

Upvote 0

elcid93

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. We squeezed in a lot of WDW activities in the free time I had.

One day went to Downtown Disney, shopped and ate at the Rainforest Cafe'. We played mini golf at the Fantasia Gardens course. Went back to Downtown Disney Halloween night to take our son (8 months old tomorrow) trick or treating for the first time. We dressed him up as yoda, very cute and tons of compliments.

The best part was one night we made reservations for "Jikos" at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. We showed up early and spent time walking around the grounds and looking at the animals before dinner. It was especially nice, because we stayed at the AKL 3 years ago to the day when I proposed to my wife. The food at dinner was amazing. The wine was amazing. And the service was amazing. It was a little spendy but well worth the money.

Thanks for everyone's help,
Bill:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom