Suggested additions/changes after looking at MK from a skeptical view

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Okay look, MK is the flagship park of the whole Disney corporation. 17 million guests were there in 2009 compared to the next closet Disneyland at 14. I love MK the best and never leave there havin anything less than a magical day. But seeing some fellow Disney fans who are obsessed with the parks (hey, in a healthy way :rolleyes:) and reading posts it got me thinking just a tad about the layout. So I thought of a few suggestions:

Country Bear Jamboree - I love this show and until I read stuff on here I never noticed the sound. The sound could be improved now that I think of it. Keep the same show but make the speakers a bit louder or more clear, that's all. I couldn't see the show being closed for very long to fix that. A week maybe? Tops.

Old Skyway attraction in Fantasyland - The front of it is filled with stroller parking now of course but there is still some space to do another attraction and keep the stroller parking. This is of course in between Small World and Haunted Mansion. Why not another dark movie ride? Bambi? This would be another attraction. Ditto for where the Skyride ended in Tommorowland. There is tons of space for something they aren't touching. Or start it up again. I mean seriously it's right there and it was a beautiful ride to be honest. Busch Gardens in Tampa has it. So if it's a windy day you close it, big deal. Just such a waste of space

Between Splash and Thunder - I thought there was enough space to do it. Yeah I know the Railroad goes through there but why not add another dark ride? The train already goes under Splash as it is.

Keep Tom Sawyer - Look, I like the Island. And I don't people think this through. If you take away the Island and the water it also eliminates the Liberty Belle Riverboats which is a nice relaxing ride and gets you away from the crowds for a bit while seeing a good chunk of the park at a different angle.

Remove Stitch - Goes without saying, but the key to great leadership is admitting when a mistake was made. Stitch was a mistake, Alien Encounter was not.

Start up Swan boats again - Okay I actually walked to the loading dock and coincidentally there was an older cast member who was fixing a couple of things. I asked him why they don't start up the swan boats again. He had been at MK since 1973 and he gave me the reasons why they stopped it (he believes). He said the labour was too much for Disney meaning that they would need far too much staff to run it. I can't understand it because they have it at DL and what about Jungle Cruise? Is there another ride that needs more staff than that? It works fine. Plus he says the lines were long. But that's the thing, adding more rides spreads out the crowds. At least this is how I am told DL does it better in a seemingly smaller park.

New ride in between Space and Carousel of Progress - There is space and that includes the bathroom that is there. It can't be too big because the railroad is there but it could use something.

Okay that is my 10-point plan :sohappy: just a few things I can see to improve on an already great park. I was there in March on a Saturday of all days. The lineups were generous but it worked out perfectl with my fastpass. But the more rides you add the lesser the lines will be everywhere else. I think my plan would cut down on lines 10% and if its feasible it should be done. All I can say is that we all know Walt would never stop at ways to improve on the park

_Scar

Okay look, MK is the flagship park of the whole Disney corporation. 17 million guests were there in 2009 compared to the next closet Disneyland at 14. I love MK the best and never leave there havin anything less than a magical day. But seeing some fellow Disney fans who are obsessed with the parks (hey, in a healthy way :rolleyes:) and reading posts it got me thinking just a tad about the layout. So I thought of a few suggestions:

Country Bear Jamboree - I love this show and until I read stuff on here I never noticed the sound. The sound could be improved now that I think of it. Keep the same show but make the speakers a bit louder or more clear, that's all. I couldn't see the show being closed for very long to fix that. A week maybe? Tops.

Old Skyway attraction in Fantasyland - The front of it is filled with stroller parking now of course but there is still some space to do another attraction and keep the stroller parking. This is of course in between Small World and Haunted Mansion. Why not another dark movie ride? Bambi? This would be another attraction. Ditto for where the Skyride ended in Tommorowland. There is tons of space for something they aren't touching. Or start it up again. I mean seriously it's right there and it was a beautiful ride to be honest. Busch Gardens in Tampa has it. So if it's a windy day you close it, big deal. Just such a waste of space

Between Splash and Thunder - I thought there was enough space to do it. Yeah I know the Railroad goes through there but why not add another dark ride? The train already goes under Splash as it is.

Keep Tom Sawyer - Look, I like the Island. And I don't people think this through. If you take away the Island and the water it also eliminates the Liberty Belle Riverboats which is a nice relaxing ride and gets you away from the crowds for a bit while seeing a good chunk of the park at a different angle.

Remove Stitch - Goes without saying, but the key to great leadership is admitting when a mistake was made. Stitch was a mistake, Alien Encounter was not.

Start up Swan boats again - Okay I actually walked to the loading dock and coincidentally there was an older cast member who was fixing a couple of things. I asked him why they don't start up the swan boats again. He had been at MK since 1973 and he gave me the reasons why they stopped it (he believes). He said the labour was too much for Disney meaning that they would need far too much staff to run it. I can't understand it because they have it at DL and what about Jungle Cruise? Is there another ride that needs more staff than that? It works fine. Plus he says the lines were long. But that's the thing, adding more rides spreads out the crowds. At least this is how I am told DL does it better in a seemingly smaller park.

New ride in between Space and Carousel of Progress - There is space and that includes the bathroom that is there. It can't be too big because the railroad is there but it could use something.

Okay that is my 10-point plan :sohappy: just a few things I can see to improve on an already great park

For the 100% family-friendly park MK is, AE was a mistake and that's why it was replaced- or so the theory goes :lookaroun

I say make the Speedway cars electric which in turn makes it quieter. Build a Stitch/Buzz/Mickey fountain between TLand and FLand to signal a transition, and don't even get me started on Adventureland...

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
For the 100% family-friendly park MK is, AE was a mistake and that's why it was replaced- or so the theory goes :lookaroun

I say make the Speedway cars electric which in turn makes it quieter. Build a Stitch/Buzz/Mickey fountain between TLand and FLand to signal a transition, and don't even get me started on Adventureland...

Oh I'm gonna..........:king: do tell

Adventureland is the only one I didn't touch yet. Aladdin is far from a classic but it's another attraction and a good space filler that they did nicely. But what's left? Pirates and Jungle Cruise will never part, nor should they. Swiss? Doubt it, it isn't like it is a huge space filler. That leaves Tiki Birds. And I guess as you enter Adventureland from Frontierland they could possibly add another ride

_Scar

I would replace tiki with the Tokyo version with Stitch

Take out Agrabah tents and replace it with something more Arabian Coast-eqsue.

Replace Swiss Treehouse with Mama Odie's treehouse

& add a mini land sort of where IJA would be if it were Disneyland- and no, Indy would not be my first choice whatsoever. UP!

the-reason14

I would replace tiki with the Tokyo version with Stitch

Take out Agrabah tents and replace it with something more Arabian Coast-eqsue.

Replace Swiss Treehouse with Mama Odie's treehouse

& add a mini land sort of where IJA would be if it were Disneyland- and no, Indy would not be my first choice whatsoever. UP!

A mama odie tie in would be great imo. And I agree with pretty much everything the op said, but as far as the swan boats returning and the skyway, I dont know. And where in DL are there swan boats?

chaggy102

Well it would be extremely tough for them to restart it as the connection poles are all but gone, the wires are gone and oh the skyway station over in Tomorrowland, the second story is now gone.

There's really no space between Splash and Thunder, as Thunder's storage area is inbetween that space, and another ride in that small area would create more chaos than there already is.
/*-

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There are some good reasons why some of these things havn`t happened;
Old Skyway attraction in Fantasyland - The front of it is filled with stroller parking now of course but there is still some space to do another attraction and keep the stroller parking. This is of course in between Small World and Haunted Mansion. No Space - there is literally just a road between the iasw and HM show buildings. That`s how wide it is.

Between Splash and Thunder - water handing for Splash goes right behind the railroad station. Aside from that there is the access road for MK West and service areas for the wet dock.

Start up Swan boats again - Okay I actually walked to the loading dock and coincidentally there was an older cast member who was fixing a couple of things. The boats went since asthetically they were out of place in the hub, and due to technical issues with the drive system.

New ride in between Space and Carousel of Progress - There is space and that includes the bathroom that is there. It can't be too big because the railroad is there but it could use something. This is an expansion plot, but anything larger than the long-ago planned Omnimax attraction would need to straddle the railroad. The latter was indeed discussed in 1980 but with the engineering needed the space between Buzz and the CoP would be used first.

Master Gracey 5

A couple quick comments on yours first:

Country Bears - Love this show and a sound update is needed but not so badly as an update to the AAs. Last time I went I swear I heard enough clicking that the sound effects were made by a typewriter.

Tom Sawyer - Definitely keep the island, but redo it to something that will draw more people. Again last time I was there the rafts over were full but I saw some people get off, walk a bit then turn around and leave. Not sure what they could do with it though other than retheming the place.

The area between SM and CoP really doesn't have room for expansion, but they could do something between CoP and BLSRS. There's a small outdoor theatre there now no one would miss. Take out some parking and they could do something fun there.

The big thing I would like to see is a redo of the Speedway. I like the idea some one mentioned of electric cars but wouldn't mind it being replaced either. Of course, I can drive a real car, so the thrill of going 6 mph around a track doesn't hit me like it does the younger kids.

A return to the original Tiki room would be great. I can only stand the new one once a trip. We usually grab an ice cream and sneak it in to eat while watching the show. Great way to relax and enjoy a snack out of the sun.

I won't go on about SGE - I've made my thoughts on that one clear in another thread.

I don't think we'll see anything else get redone until after the FLE, but hopefully some of these items are on the board.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
A mama odie tie in would be great imo. And I agree with pretty much everything the op said, but as far as the swan boats returning and the skyway, I dont know. And where in DL are there swan boats?

In Disneyland I believe it is called the Storybook Canal boats (correct me if I am wrong). I don't understand why MK doesn't do it again. Someone on here said it would be out of place with the theming or something? How so? A swan in the water looks out of place? I don't get it. I think that rie would be relaxing and beautiful scenery. The loading dock is still there and the ride was abolished in 1977

ABigBrassBand

Okay that is my 10-point plan :sohappy: just a few things I can see to improve on an already great park. I was there in March on a Saturday of all days. The lineups were generous but it worked out perfectl with my fastpass. But the more rides you add the lesser the lines will be everywhere else. I think my plan would cut down on lines 10% and if its feasible it should be done. All I can say is that we all know Walt would never stop at ways to improve on the park

Hmm, interesting post. About the Space--CoP ride, I was actually thinking that they would make a train station, so there would be 4 stations throughout the park, one for north, south, west, east, basically each main direction. How they would do that? Just have some good themeing that has you think you are taking a ship back to the present, and when you board the train, do the wormhole (as seen on Space), and then exit to the normal WDW train track.

ABigBrassBand

In Disneyland I believe it is called the Storybook Canal boats (correct me if I am wrong). I don't understand why MK doesn't do it again. Someone on here said it would be out of place with the theming or something? How so? A swan in the water looks out of place? I don't get it. I think that rie would be relaxing and beautiful scenery. The loading dock is still there and the ride was abolished in 1977
Wait, do you mean the storybook land attraction? I thought when you said Swan boats you meant the feet-paddling boats near the Swan hotel, and I was wondering if they were taken away or not.

rodserling27

dude, yes yes yes! This has been a one of the biggest problems I've had with the show for many years. Sure, I know all the lyrics, and the whole show by heart, but that's mostly due to my records and cd's of it. I thought after the last time it went down for a refurb that they would significantly upgrade the audio, but they didn't. This show is too fantastic to not have top-of-the-line speakers in there. I had friends with me that had never seen it before, and they hated it because they couldn't understand a thing!!

DisneyNut2007

dude, yes yes yes! This has been a one of the biggest problems I've had with the show for many years. Sure, I know all the lyrics, and the whole show by heart, but that's mostly due to my records and cd's of it. I thought after the last time it went down for a refurb that they would significantly upgrade the audio, but they didn't. This show is too fantastic to not have top-of-the-line speakers in there. I had friends with me that had never seen it before, and they hated it because they couldn't understand a thing!!

What are you talking about?! You know they upgraded the audio at CBJ during its big 2008 rehab!

Instead, let's focus on getting the Xmas and Vacation shows back. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom