Stupid Magic Band Tricks.

FettFan

Original Poster
I honestly don't know whether this article is serious or is trying to be a Disney version of 'The Onion': http://orlandoinformer.com/page/art...ind-blowing-things-future-theme-parks-will-do

The Orlando Informer said:
At the Be Our Guest restaurant in the recently-completed New Fantasyland expansion, sensors located within the MagicBands and in the ceiling triangulate diners’ positions, allowing waiters to know exactly where to deliver their pre-ordered food.

You know, unlike those *other* restaurants where the serving staff actually pays attention to the guests and remembers what table they're seated at.

Street vendors could spend their time delivering already-purchased Dole Whips or giant turkey legs (thanks to the phone app) to guests as they stroll about the park instead of being stuck at one spot, servicing long lines.

*psst* Don't tell this guy that Disney already has mobile snack carts. His brain might explode.

Once you enter a gift shop, the clerks can quickly learn that you’ve just had a surprise – and thoroughly documented – encounter with Buzz and see that you’re moving on to ride Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin next. Rather than have you waste your time idly perusing all the various junk in the store, the cast members could direct you to the appropriate selection ofToy Story merchandise – or the company could cut out the middle portion entirely and have the Buzz action figures brought out directly to you.

Speaking as someone who has years of retail experience....NO. Disney WANTS you to spend time perusing the store. There's a reason supermarkets put soft drinks and sweets at every register: It's called "impulse shopping".
What works for Disney is that, because your'e on vacation...virtually EVERY item is an impulse item! Seriously, NOBODY enters the Magic Kingdom and says "Hey, you know what woudl hit the spot right now? A Mickey Buttscratcher."

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Prog

I'm a little suspicious of the fact that Mickey discussed The Haunted Mansion during the meet & greet right after we had ridden it. Mickey was a FP+, linked to my phone, and my phone was on me while I was on The Haunted Mansion...

roj2323

I will never wear a magic band specifically for the reasons they want me to wear one. Being easily trackable throughout the park is not something I approve of. I also don't want to be sent emails with targeted advertising because they noticed I like to ride XYZ ride repeatedly. I like my anonymity which is one of the many things the old fastpass system offered. Knowing that disney has a record of my attraction preferences, food preferences and even the time of day I like to get to the park makes me want to puke.

Kit83

I will never wear a magic band specifically for the reasons they want me to wear one. Being easily trackable throughout the park is not something I approve of. I also don't want to be sent emails with targeted advertising because they noticed I like to ride XYZ ride repeatedly. I like my anonymity which is one of the many things the old fastpass system offered. Knowing that disney has a record of my attraction preferences, food preferences and even the time of day I like to get to the park makes me want to puke.

Luddite ;) but seriously there is now no getting away from the big brother culture we now live in, every stroke of your keyboard is recorded the sites you visit analyzed . Even on this forum the ads are based on your browsing history . It's not right but we all allowed this to happen, because of our general inaction on privacy . But there are some benefits !

Since we now do live in a society with much less privacy as long as someone has nothing to hide, there should be no problems . Lets just hope the people who decide whats right and wrong remain benevolent towards our individual religion and politics .

Last edited:

roj2323

Luddite ;) but seriously there is now no getting away from the big brother culture we now live in, every stroke of your keyboard is recorded the sites you visit analyzed . Even on this forum the ads are based on your browsing history . It not right but we all allowed this to happen, because of our general inaction on privacy . But there are some benefits !

Since we now do live in a society with much less privacy as long as someone has nothing to hide, there should be no problems . Lets just hope the people who decide whats right and wrong remain benevolent towards our individual religion and politics .
But isn't the point of going on a vacation to get away from the real world?

Matt_Black

You know, unlike those *other* restaurants where the serving staff actually pays attention to the guests and remembers what table they're seated at.

Actually, isn't that in reference to lunch at Be Our Guest, where the Cast Member bringing you your food has, in all probability, not even seen you yet? The roses that they used to hand out had the same function, if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:

Lucky

Waiting in lines will be eliminated and the characters and vendors will find you, now that technology can let them know who wants to meet Elsa or buy a turkey leg? I don't think so. How many more CMs would they need to make that happen?

It might be cost effective to do this for a limited number of guests who are willing to pay extra for My Stalking Experience.

NowInc

Disney had a record of your attraction preference even with the old FP system. Nothing new there :)

BigHero4

I say keep the great tech advances coming Disney! You should only really be creeped out about tracking if Disney finds a way to legitimately track you outside of the Bubble... You're being tracked at your local mall, place of employment and other amusement parks - why not at Disney - the later just don't make a big deal of their tracking abilities like Disney does with their billion dollar investment. The MagicBand adds to the experience that we're all paying outrageous amounts of money to enjoy.

mnagel55

Disney had a record of your attraction preference even with the old FP system. Nothing new there :)

I often wondered If they "tracked" us...but what ticks me off is they never use that data to help me. We always stay at POR, hot the same restaurants etc... but every time we make a rez its like they don't know us from Adam.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom