Stuff sent back to the hotel?

DisneyInMyVeins

hey everyone! :wave: i heard somewhere that you can get anything you buy in Disney World, like a snow globe or stuffed animals, sent back to your hotel room. Is this true? Does it work in every store, or just certain ones? or can you only get stuff sent back to certain hotels? Thanks anyone who can help!

Nansafan

Time for me to whine too. We loved walking into the room and seeing what had arrived, who's package was the first to make it back was always worth a Disney Dollar. Picking up from the gift shop is nice, just not the same as seeing a bag sitting on the bed.

Upvote 0

Miss Bell

Yellow Shoes said:
ah-HA!! Now you've figured out why they do this. Very few people are likely to have room in their suitcase for a monorail set.
QUOTE]

This is why I always pack an extra suitcase in my suitcase. Seriously, I pack a packed suitcase in an empty suitcase on they way there--then I have enough space on the way back for all the stuff I've bought. (well, almost enough room.)

I do stand by having your purchases shipped back to the hotel--this has saved me from carrying everything from numerous snowglobes to a giant stuffed dinosaur.

Upvote 0

DisneyInMyVeins

Original Poster
thanks for clarifying it...i just heard of that before and thought it was really cool...even if they do ship it to the gift shop, thats easier than carrying it around all day

Upvote 0

SewIn2Disney

Yellow Shoes said:
ah-HA!! Now you've figured out why they do this. Very few people are likely to have room in their suitcase for a monorail set.

As much as we don't like to admit it, and as much as we think it clouds the magic at times, Disney World exists to make a profit.
That's exactly why I wrote that! Two years ago, I regretfully had to leave behind the castle set that goes with the monorail. We just didn't have enough room in the car :(.
Now I'll have to look for it on ebay.

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

SewIn2Disney said:
Could you give me more info on this? Why does it take off the sales tax? Is it because it's out of state?
It sounds interesting, especially because you have to be careful what you buy, you need to make sure you have room in the suitcase to get it home!
Thanks in advance!
They eliminate the sales tax because it is being sent out of state and they do not operate in any other state. If they did, you would have to pay either your state tax or FL's. You should announce that you want it sent back to your home BEFORE the sale is rung up, otherwise it is a HUGE hassle for the CM and those waiting to be waited on as the CM voids out the sale and starts again (obviously one of my major big time pet peeves :) ).
You cannot buy something, have it sent back to the resort and then ship it home and hope that the sales tax will be refunded, it has to be done at the time of purchase.

Upvote 0

Renate

Other countries?

Hi,

would they send it to other contries as well? I really would like to send them some stuff to Germany.

Greets Renate

Upvote 0

McArcDes

We were just at WDW for the week between Christmas and New Years. We did a lot of shopping and a lot of having stuff sent back to our hotel. I wont repeat what others have already said but I will tell you about a couple of experiences we had with this service.

We had just about all of our purchases sent back to the hotel (Port Orleans Riverside). With out fail they were there by the time we got back from the parks the next day. The only issue we had was the day after we got back from Downtown Disney Marketplace and had tons of stuff to carry back to our room.

As for shipping stuff home becuse of size....the day before we left I bought the "Partners" statue (I have wanted to buy this ever since I first saw it way back in 1997) We had been looking for it all week and been told that it was out of stock till the end of January and even that it was disonntinued by one cm. But in a true magical fashion, when we stopped into the Art of Disney store in the castle there it was. I grabbed it as fast as I could and told the cm that my story and she said they had gotten them in that morning. She told me that they had one in a box out back that I could buy and my girlfriend told me later I had a death grip on the statue until it was paid for.

But I digress. The box for the statue is kinda large so I asked about shipping it home and she said they could very easily by UPS ground and they knock off the sales tax. I asked the charge and it was about $16.00. It actually was cheaper to send it home that way then to pay the sales tax. We got home late the next day and it was delieverd to my door step buy the end of the middle of the week. They had told me that it may take up 15 business days to get.

We also bought a couple of snow globes (which seem to be a popular item here) earlier in the week and had been sent back to our room. We wanted to ship them back as well but were not sure that we could take advantage of the shipping like we did with the statue. Long story short we went to the front desk and asked them. They said they could but we needed to box them up and had to go to the hotel store to get the shipping supplys. While at the store we found out that you can even ship previous purchases (as long as they were bought on Disney property) home using the same system we did from the park. We had the globes sent home for about $15.00 and they took care of eveything. We actually had them before the statue which we had shipped the day before. They came in one box and in perfect shape. You can not ship things that you bought off property like at Universal or an outlet mall.

Oh and by the way, when you ship them home Disney guarntees that they will be in perfect shape. If they are not all you do is call them and they arrange replacement. I highly, highly recomend this service.

Upvote 0

celticdog

You can easiley ship to other countries. Disney gives you the option of using UPS or FedEx. We shipped several items back in November by using FedEx.

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

McArcDes said:
We were just at WDW for the week between Christmas and New Years. We did a lot of shopping and a lot of having stuff sent back to our hotel. I wont repeat what others have already said but I will tell you about a couple of experiences we had with this service.

We had just about all of our purchases sent back to the hotel (Port Orleans Riverside). With out fail they were there by the time we got back from the parks the next day. The only issue we had was the day after we got back from Downtown Disney Marketplace and had tons of stuff to carry back to our room.

As for shipping stuff home becuse of size....the day before we left I bought the "Partners" statue (I have wanted to buy this ever since I first saw it way back in 1997) We had been looking for it all week and been told that it was out of stock till the end of January and even that it was disonntinued by one cm. But in a true magical fashion, when we stopped into the Art of Disney store in the castle there it was. I grabbed it as fast as I could and told the cm that my story and she said they had gotten them in that morning. She told me that they had one in a box out back that I could buy and my girlfriend told me later I had a death grip on the statue until it was paid for.

But I digress. The box for the statue is kinda large so I asked about shipping it home and she said they could very easily by UPS ground and they knock off the sales tax. I asked the charge and it was about $16.00. It actually was cheaper to send it home that way then to pay the sales tax. We got home late the next day and it was delieverd to my door step buy the end of the middle of the week. They had told me that it may take up 15 business days to get.

We also bought a couple of snow globes (which seem to be a popular item here) earlier in the week and had been sent back to our room. We wanted to ship them back as well but were not sure that we could take advantage of the shipping like we did with the statue. Long story short we went to the front desk and asked them. They said they could but we needed to box them up and had to go to the hotel store to get the shipping supplys. While at the store we found out that you can even ship previous purchases (as long as they were bought on Disney property) home using the same system we did from the park. We had the globes sent home for about $15.00 and they took care of eveything. We actually had them before the statue which we had shipped the day before. They came in one box and in perfect shape. You can not ship things that you bought off property like at Universal or an outlet mall.

Oh and by the way, when you ship them home Disney guarntees that they will be in perfect shape. If they are not all you do is call them and they arrange replacement. I highly, highly recomend this service.

Yep, you can use the shipping service for previously purchased items, BUT, you will not get your sales tax refunded, unless something has changed since Sept.

Upvote 0

TnkrBelPixiDust

I love this service.. it's a major time savor. If you forget about the packages (which most of the time you dont but just in case ya do lol) they call you and let you know that you have a packager -they did this with my family-. But yea it's free just make sure your staying on property and you can only do it up till 2 days prior to your departure.

Upvote 0

Mom's the word

Miss Bell said:
This is why I always pack an extra suitcase in my suitcase. Seriously, I pack a packed suitcase in an empty suitcase on they way there--then I have enough space on the way back for all the stuff I've bought. (well, almost enough room.)
You are a genius! Every trip we have to buy a suitcase for the extra stuff we (read "I") buy and my DH gets a little tense about it. I've told him all it really means is that we have new luggage for the next trip but somehow he doesn't think that is reasonable! This trip we will take the extra case with us and save him the $40 bucks for a new one, thanks for the great idea. :wave:

Upvote 0

celticdog

When packing a suitcase into a suitcase, it helps to use an overnight bag. We crammed overnight bags into our larger suitcases. We then crammed our dirty clothes into the overnight bags and put the souveniers into the good suitcase. We went down with two suitcases and came back with four.

Upvote 0

epcotfan

Ringo8n24 said:
Does anyone know why they aren't sent straight to the rooms anymore? That was great walking in and finding your stuff there. Could it be something was delivered to the wrong room and the people kept the stuff so now you have to prove the purchase is yours?

Security reasons. They don't want to have to keep opening up rooms for delivery. Also a matter of guests claiming they never received merchandise.
Now you have to sign for packages when you pick up at the gift shop.

Upvote 0

scorp111

We used this service when we visited in December, and it worked fine, but just a word of caution: As someone has suggested you can do it, as long it is not your last day at the hotel. We were down there for MVMCP and were leaving on Monday AM. We sent something to the hotel that we purchased on Saturday. After we did it, we realized that we were not going be at the Hotel on Sunday during the hours the gift shop was open. We had a Character breakfast in the AM, and then had MVMCP from 6pm-12am. So we had to discuss this with several supervisors, some helpful & some not, before they agreed to send our package to the front desk where we could pick it up. We did make it back to the hotel prior to the gift shop closing, (it was a little after 11p) and my wife went to the front desk cm who said we had to go the gift shop. She explained the situation, but they insisted we go to the gift shop. We went over to the gift shop, and of course they had already sent it to the front desk.

Finally we were able to get our package, but the whole situation made it more of a hassle. In our case, I would have simply purchased the item at the end of the day.....

But, we will definitely use it for our upcoming trip....

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

epcotfan said:
Security reasons. They don't want to have to keep opening up rooms for delivery. Also a matter of guests claiming they never received merchandise.
Now you have to sign for packages when you pick up at the gift shop.

I have never had them delivered to the unit at OKW, they have always gone to the gift shop, so, I guess I will not miss room delivery.
Makes perfect sense to make the guest sign for it,IMHO, a VERY smart move. For those less than honest, they will have to find another way to bilk someone. :(

Upvote 0

epcotfan

Gail Hayden said:
I have never had them delivered to the unit at OKW, they have always gone to the gift shop, so, I guess I will not miss room delivery.
Makes perfect sense to make the guest sign for it,IMHO, a VERY smart move. For those less than honest, they will have to find another way to bilk someone. :(

Years ago they did deliver directly to hotel rooms. I think it did this until about 1999 (from what I can recall). It was nice having packages delivered directly but the less people I have going in and out of the room the better. I agree about signing for packages. I always show my receipt so they can match it to my purchase.

Upvote 0

scorp111

I, or Birnbaum, could be incorrect on this, but I beleive the 2004 guide said the room delivery stopped post 9/11. They then switched to just delivering it to the resort.

Still useful!

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

epcotfan said:
Years ago they did deliver directly to hotel rooms. I think it did this until about 1999 (from what I can recall). It was nice having packages delivered directly but the less people I have going in and out of the room the better. I agree about signing for packages. I always show my receipt so they can match it to my purchase.

Not trying to argue, but, never ever, not even once were my packages delivered to my unit at OKW. I have always had to go to the General Store for them. It would have been nice if they had. :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom