Studios projection towers getting more details

No Name

I'm starting to see how they're trying to match the buildings with the surroundings. The tan one is much improved. I like the balcony and railing, the color of the windows, and the soon-to-be-unveiled roof. I see Spanish tile peeking through, much like the nearby Trolley Car Cafe and Hollywood Brown Derby. And the plant life spruces up the bottom edges and pulls the builing in. All in all, I'd go so far as to say it looks good.

The blue one though... it looks like they're trying to fit it in with the Hyperion theater and other blues, but failing miserably. Hopefully it comes together.

Last edited:

rocketraccoon

Scrim is gone from the beige-ish tower.

37675596816_62b2ebf7b0_b.jpg
37675597336_7b36a2f8e5_b.jpg

Slowjack

Well, I would rate the beige tower's appearance as better than I feared, and better than nothing, but less than good. I know this is a minor thing to be bothered by, but these are like small versions of the Hat. They are ugly and make no sense in the context of their surroundings. I'm happy that Disney is making some effort to disguise these, but they are still eyesores, and the extra decoration implies they are going to be permanent eyesores. Disney keeps drawing mustaches on the pictures in their own yearbook.

Kman101

Well, I would rate the beige tower's appearance as better than I feared, and better than nothing, but less than good. I know this is a minor thing to be bothered by, but these are like small versions of the Hat. They are ugly and make no sense in the context of their surroundings. I'm happy that Disney is making some effort to disguise these, but they are still eyesores, and the extra decoration implies they are going to be permanent eyesores. Disney keeps drawing mustaches on the pictures in their own yearbook.

My thoughts on this exactly. With scrims down I'm guessing this is the final look of them? I know it's a minor thing but they are kind of ugly and while what they did improved the look a bit it's still not great. And the two different colors doesn't help. Oh well. Sadly most guests won't even care.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
It's not great but it is serviceable and is an improvement however uninspired. That in itself could be the goal!? To make something that park guests won't immediately look at or question. Sorta like "no see-um gray" paint these two towers are designed to hide or blend instead of stand out. Are we to glaze over them? I think this might also explain why they chose to paint them different colors. Seeing two identical towers at opposite sides of a path would look more like an Entrance Facade into a new land. Best not to call attention to them.

Last edited:

rreading

It's not great but it is serviceable and is an improvement however uninspired. That in itself could be the goal!? To make something that park guests won't immediately look at or question. Sorta like "no see-um gray" paint these two towers are designed to hide or blend instead of stand out. Are we to glaze over them? I think this might also explain why they chose to paint them different colors. Seeing two identical towers at opposite sides of a path would look more like an Entrance Facade into a new land. Best not to call attention to them.

I agree with this and, for what it's worth, I expect that most all visitors will walk by these without thinking anything about them (except the curious 7 year olds who want to know what everything is). I'm sure I'll walk by them and not even notice they're there

Movielover

Concrete corner bumpers? Are the preparing their defenses in case a moving stage goes rogue?

It's to help stabilize the building. You're going to see a lot more of these pop up around WDW to help stabilize the place against the gravitational changes from all the eye-rolling that Universe of Energy fans will do when Guardians opens...

HiYa Pal

I honestly think making them match the theatre more so than the buildings behind them would make more "sense," kind of like the towers that got added in MK for the castle.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
The windows still look like Lego pieces

I agree. The stark black contrast of the faux windows really stand out against the blue walls. It's ALL you see. I wonder if some graphics wouldn't have been better or a some fake blinds or something. I also think it needs an awning or pediment over the door. I wish I had an idea what they're going for; It's a hodgepodge of weird architectural detail at the moment.

Timothy_Q

I agree. The stark black contrast of the faux windows really stand out against the blue walls. It's ALL you see. I wonder if some graphics wouldn't have been better or a some fake blinds or something. I also think it needs an awning or pediment over the door. I wish I had an idea what they're going for; It's a hodgepodge of weird architectural detail at the moment.

Yeah one of the problems with this building is that the door isn't theoretically actually part of it.
The door is supposed to be hidden, instead of part of the theming.

A lame decision that doesn't work

Goofyernmost

My opinion, unasked for, but, happening anyway. When we get to the point of having discussions about an object that is completely utility and what extras are added to it and what color it is, we are venturing close to insanity. I say we rally around the fact that it isn't all attached to rusty poles like most places do. Then we could walk right past them and go to actual attractions that are there to entertain us directly with it's own theme and story line.

I doubt we will ever see a coffee table book that was loaded with pictures of different ways to incorporate projectors or flood lights. Only in the Disney universe is that even noticed.

matt9112

My opinion, unasked for, but, happening anyway. When we get to the point of having discussions about an object that is completely utility and what extras are added to it and what color it is, we are venturing close to insanity. I say we rally around the fact that it isn't all attached to rusty poles like most places do. Then we could walk right past them and go to actual attractions that are there to entertain us directly with it's own theme and story line.

I doubt we will ever see a coffee table book that was loaded with pictures of different ways to incorporate projectors or flood lights. Only in the Disney universe is that even noticed.

I disagree to an extent. we shouldn't tear Disney apart for what these towers do or don't look like but at the same time its our opinions and thay of guests that separate Disney from six flags. all of these little details independently are insignificant but together they create the experience known as Disney. There is a standard one this company itself set and if it falls short it should be a noted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom