Studios projection towers getting more details

No Name

There is no intentional weathering on any of Hollywood Blvd. or Sunset Blvd., to my knowledge. Or if so, very little. There's none on Main Street either. It's supposed to look like it's in its glorified heyday. There's no reason a building can't be designed to look good in that same vein.

Weathering makes great sense in DAK because it contributes to the theme of our relationship with nature. Nature is overtaking human-built structures. But then they realized that allows them to save on maintenance, and it adds detail, so they like to do it everywhere now. Not the biggest complaint, but I think its overused outside of DAK. If the detail doesn't make sense, it's a distraction.

Anyway, I'll take any improvement over what we see in those pictures. That blue one looks like it's summoning the aliens.

Last edited:

BD-Anaheim

There is no intentional weathering on any of Hollywood Blvd. or Sunset Blvd., to my knowledge. Or if so, very little. There's none on Main Street either. It's supposed to look like it's in its glorified heyday. There's no reason a building can't be designed to look good in that same vein.

Weathering makes great sense in DAK because it contributes to the theme of our relationship with nature. Nature is overtaking human-built structures. But then they realized that allows them to save on maintenance, and it adds detail, so they like to do it everywhere now. Not the biggest complaint, but I think its overused outside of DAK. If the detail doesn't make sense, it's a distraction.

Anyway, I'll take any improvement over what we see in those pictures. That blue one looks like it's summoning the aliens.

Maintaining weathered-looking buildings is actually quite exhaustive. It is not a way for Disney to "cheap out" on general maintenance. Where it is used, it's typically to evoke a theme and sense of permanency.

No Name

Maintaining weathered-looking buildings is actually quite exhaustive. It is not a way for Disney to "cheap out" on general maintenance. Where it is used, it's typically to evoke a theme and sense of permanency.

How is it exhaustive? Where do you know this? You'll have to explain because I see no way that's the case.

Also, I don't see how this weathering envokes any sort of theme in DHS, but I don't see how Star Wars Land and especially Toy Story Land do either, so what the heck.

BD-Anaheim

How is it exhaustive? Where do you know this? You'll have to explain because I see no way that's the case.

Also, I don't see how this weathering envokes any sort of theme in DHS, but I don't see how Star Wars Land and especially Toy Story Land do either, so what the heck.

You aren't "supposed" to see it....

Having worked at one point or another in each of those parks you mentioned, I witnessed the effort that went into their maintenance, so consider it firsthand knowledge.

Slowjack

I'm glad to see they are trying to do something to make these buildings fit into the scene. But what is going on with that roofline and the base of the faux balcony? It looks like they laid butcher paper over a frame of coat-hanger wire. Is that maybe a wrapper that will be removed to display something more finished-looking underneath? Because as it stands right now, it's making the new Planet Hollywood dome look good by comparison.

KBLovedDisney

Oh yeah, now you can't tell those are out-of-place whatsoever :confused:
tumblr_mvlwvduuip1sg3vmpo1_500.gif

peter11435

I'm glad to see they are trying to do something to make these buildings fit into the scene. But what is going on with that roofline and the base of the faux balcony? It looks like they laid butcher paper over a frame of coat-hanger wire. Is that maybe a wrapper that will be removed to display something more finished-looking underneath? Because as it stands right now, it's making the new Planet Hollywood dome look good by comparison.
It's scrim covering what they are working on beneath.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom