Studios parking lot reaching capacity (Dec 2015)

shipley731

Thats a good question. Friday/Saturday nights seem to be the peak and best to avoid trying to drive there.

A very crafty person could enjoy the world showcase until about 4ish, stroll to the ESPN Club for proper medicinal hydration and then continue the journey and casually stroll to the Osborne Lights by 6 or 7....

This is our plan for next Saturday. Only deviation might be doing our medicinal hydration at Crew's Cup.

Jon81uk

People keep repeating this BS... What is closed?

Blacklot tour, thats about it. Do you really think that had any meaningful effect on numbers? Animation academy, fine, but the appeal of the SW launch bay is going to be much greater. American Idol... there is a reason it closed, no one was going. They were even having problems finding enough people to compete. If you look at the actual attractions and shows, they have ADDED more than they have taken away. The sunset theatre dance parties, the Frozen sing along, The launch bay, soon the fireworks. The park does not have any significantly more or less than it has ever had.

Except the backlot tour was a 30minute or longer attraction for the entire family. Dance parties are a quick distraction favoured by children. We are down one family ride.

The singalong looks okay, but replaces American Idol which was also OK. Launch Bay replaces Animation Tour just fine, with props and meet & greats, but nothing much replaces the animation academy.

The half day park thing only applies to people visiting for their 3rd or more trip really. I'm not really interested in the Little Mermaid show for the fifth time or a poor retelling of Beauty and the Beast. So some people skip parts. But other things can be re-rides, Toy Story Mania, Rock'n'Rollercoaster and Tower of Terror are easy to do several times.
I still think it's wrong that Theater in the Wild at DAK has had three different shows in 16 years but the Theater of the Stars at DHS had one show running for 21 years.

Last edited:

boufa

You void any opportunity for a mature, respectable conversation when you come out referring to something I said as "BS". Good day to you.
Really... now this forum become a civilized proper society, with a pinky finger up, while sipping afternoon tea. I think your reaction to my reaction was way more meaningless. The second sentence of my post contained an actually thought out comment, and your second sentence didn't exist.

I have edited my initial post, to more fully, and properly describe my disdain for the non-stop repeated tired, boring, and just flat out wrong argument that DHS has lost any attractions in any meaningful way. Honestly, the studios have problems, big problems, and it is a park with lots of opportunity... (and if history is any indication, you are not still reading my comments, you likely stopped after the first sentence, again)... Is it a half day park, for many, I can see that. Is it no enough to do to be worth the time, maybe, thats a personal decision. Do I love the park... no, not really, but the facts are the facts. Very little has been closed without eventually having an offset. There certainly has been some, but not a ton. It is no more a half day park today, than it was 5 years ago.

Disney could encourage more park hopper sales by moving the opening time at DHS to 1pm, and then people would do AK in the morning, and DHS in the evening... at least for the next year or 2.

boufa

I just noticed a 100% double standard! How is it that DHS has traveled from its origins, and has changed and has had other experiences move in, and yet no one is crying foul? In Epcot, the WS is evolving, characters have moved in, and well, frozen, and this is the end of the world. But at DHS, sooo many people, complain that there is nothing to do, when DHS IS THE SHOWS. It is very much a performance park. I am a firm believer that people who have different core thoughts on a subject will have a very difficult time understanding each other. If I think the sky is Orange, and you think it is blue, we are going to not agree on color very often, even beyond the sky discussion. The same is true on other things. If Disney feels that the shows are an integral part of the DHS experience, and evidence is that they do, and the shows don't interest you much, then you will have very different views on the success of the park.

The same carries over to the EPCOT WS issues. Any idea you might have to "fix" the "problems" at either location don't line up with their under lying view of the location. We complain about frozen in norway, but the real problem is that many of us think WS should be something different that what Disney thinks it should be. We say there is nothing to do in DHS, they are proud of their shows and feel that they are a draw for the vast majority of people who visit the park (most guests visit less often than us.) Few of the shows are going away in the expansion plans, and much of that is that Disney is proud of the shows, and thinks they're important to the park. I'm not taking sides, but so long as Disney thinks the shows are part of the solution and others ignore the existence of the shows, there will always be disagreements.

Of course none of this takes away from my initial point... very little at DHS has closed, it's basically the same wonderful or boring half day park it has always been, with some minor additions and subtractions over the recent years.

doctornick

I just noticed a 100% double standard! How is it that DHS has traveled from its origins, and has changed and has had other experiences move in, and yet no one is crying foul?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the subject, but I would say the difference is because Epcot was awesome when it opened, but DHS sucked and has continued to suck. It's been 25 years and I'm still waiting for DHS to become a fully fleshed out park. It's sad because it actually has a number of good attractions and experiences in isolation but the total package has always been lacking.

(Some people will argue that the park was good in the old working studio days. I'd disagree and state that it just was bad in a different way. There's no way you should count on a multi-hour tour of a studio backlot (especially one without much history) to make a theme park a worthy experience.)

habuma

For those who get tired of seeing the same stage shows over and over, and want to see something different I'd recommend hanging out on Hollywood Blvd and Sunset Blvd in the late morning and during the afternoon to watch the Citizens of Hollywood streetmosphere. There are so many characters with a wide array of performances. All of them I've watched have been very entertaining. Many of them are down right hilarious.

This. We *LOVE* seeing the Citizens of Hollywood. I could easily spend a full day at DHS doing nothing but hanging out and waiting for their shows. In fact, I think we have done roughly that (TSMM + Star Tours first thing in the morning, Cavalcade of Stars at 10:30a, CoH shows throughout the day, a few more rides in the early evening, then Fantasmic! = Full day in DHS...then come back the next day to do more of the same).

DisneyOutsider

I just noticed a 100% double standard! How is it that DHS has traveled from its origins, and has changed and has had other experiences move in, and yet no one is crying foul? .

There is no longer a functioning studio at DHS, which means the theme doesn't resonate as it was initially intended to.

DHS needs a reset, and that's exactly what it's going to get.

OTOH, there's really no good reason to let Future World rot nor to dumb down the presentation at WS.

Frankie The Beer

The Osborne Lights are rough going. Once they open its extremely packed, shoehorn tight until just about park close. Granted we went on Friday and Saturday, but only advice I can offer is don't go with a stroller, it might take over an hour to get through it with one.

PhotoDave219

DHS parking back open again (7:40 PM). Still a nightmare in the area.

Thanks for the update.

Is OCSO directing traffic on BVD? How are the buses being routed in?

The only reason I ask is to see of Transportation has actually taken any proactive steps to fix the issues.

stini228

We arrived around seven and had no trouble parking. Entered via BVD with no issue, taking a right into the park as we arrive on property from western way.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm curious how much of a factor was contributed by the new Launch Bay exhibit / store, as well as TFA additions to Star Tours.

Either way, I am certainly eating my words from earlier when I thought the park couldn't maintain healthy crowd numbers with so many closed attractions.

The Osborne lights are a huge draw to DHS and the parks as a whole, I know Disney has statistics but I'm not sure that anyone interprets them correctly, It will be really interesting to see next years numbers for DHS as SWW and Osborne Lights will be history, I suspect it will be the first year that one or both parks up I-4 overtake DHS's admissions.

I also would love to see the holiday booking at the hotels as well I expect they will drop as well.

COProgressFan

The Osborne lights are a huge draw to DHS and the parks as a whole, I know Disney has statistics but I'm not sure that anyone interprets them correctly, It will be really interesting to see next years numbers for DHS as SWW and Osborne Lights will be history, I suspect it will be the first year that one or both parks up I-4 overtake DHS's admissions.

I also would love to see the holiday booking at the hotels as well I expect they will drop as well.

I know they had to end Osborne in its current setup due to the upcoming changes at the Studios. But I do hope they replace it, somewhere on property in the coming years, with a big holiday light spectacular the whole family can enjoy. It truly was unique.

Like you've indicated, I suspect the Osborne lights really are more of a draw for visitsors than management may recognize.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I know they had to end Osborne in its current setup due to the upcoming changes at the Studios. But I do hope they replace it, somewhere on property in the coming years, with a big holiday light spectacular the whole family can enjoy. It truly was unique.

Like you've indicated, I suspect the Osborne lights really are more of a draw for visitsors than management may recognize.

Let's face it they could have EASILY moved this to EPCOT and updated and changed it into a next generation light show. (yes I still miss 'Lights of Winter')

I think like many other things at WDW the Osborne lights fell victim to the 'Cost Accounting' mentality which pervades the place these days, I think there is going to be a big hole to fill next year it will be interesting to see what excuses Disney trots out.

DHoy

Original Poster
If it's already this bad just for the lights. once symphony in stars begins I imagine they will begin planned closures of the BVD entrance with appropriate road signage.

PhotoDave219

If it's already this bad just for the lights. once symphony in stars begins I imagine they will begin planned closures of the BVD entrance with appropriate road signage.

They really should just do that now. Keep BVD "Bus Only" from 4PM onwards to keep the guests who stay on property able to access the park and not be stuck in traffic....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom