Studio ghibli in wdw

hopemax

There are Hot Topics in every mall(those that still stand) that sell all kinds of Japanese focused shirts, backpacks you name it. I would say Japanese cinema as a whole is one of most embraced in North America. I don't pretend to understand what some of that Anime is about but even Barnes and Noble carries lots of different ones as well as a whole Studio Ghibli section. I could see something in the Japan's WS doing extremely well. Remember Star Wars was certainly influenced by Hidden Fortress. And heck Godzilla...
Do you have a Box Lunch (also owned by Hot Topic group)? The store is like 1/3rd Disney, 1/3rd Harry Potter and 1/3 Japanese properties.

I also wonder if perception is regional. I grew up in the Pacific NW and between Seattle and Vancouver.. I was definitely exposed to Manga and Anime in the 90s. We went to see Spirited Away at a movie theater in Canada, and one of the earliest things I did when we got that new fangled "DVDs in the mail" program aka Netflix, was to work my way through all the Miyazaki films.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Do you have a Box Lunch (also owned by Hot Topic group)? The store is like 1/3rd Disney, 1/3rd Harry Potter and 1/3 Japanese properties.

I also wonder if perception is regional.

I've traveled to the Seattle area a few weeks each year for the past 25 for business and work every day with folks that live there and can say definitely yes. You will find more exposure to ethnic Korean, Vietnamese, and Chinese culture than Japanese most everywhere else.

dman1373

Original Poster
I've traveled to the Seattle area a few weeks each year for the past 25 for business and work every day with folks that live there and can say definitely yes. You will find more exposure to ethnic Korean, Vietnamese, and Chinese culture than Japanese most everywhere else.
The younger generation is also big into anime

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Great, so until Disney secures a license or the rights to that IP, this is a topic for the Imagineering forum. Imaginative, but wishful thinking.

cookiee_munster

I'm really hoping Ghibli comes to Disney+ one day. It'll introduce new people to the studio's films and be a way for folks like myself to watch the entire back catalogue of fantastic films they've released. PLUS... i'd love to see some kind of Ghibli attraction come to the studio's park.

Raidermatt

The echo chambers of today's fandoms (and really everything else) create a lack of perspective.

It's one thing to say something has a niche following. That alone doesn't preclude it from being able to generate something with mass appeal, like an attraction. The issue with Ghibli, and anime in general in the US, is not only is it a niche product, most of the rest of the public has a negative view of it. Or at the very least, doesn't get it and doesn't want to get it.

That's not a commentary on the quality, it's just a description of reality.

Personally I appreciate the artistic merit of some of the films. But in general they do not resonate, and I find the style to be hyperbolic and just downright silly at times.

In WDW? Maybe something small in the Japan pavilion, as others have said. They rotate displays in the area behind Mitsukoshi on occasion, that would be a possibility.

But unless Disney purchases the IP, its not going to turn it into any kind of attraction. They simply do not build anything not based on their own existing IP anymore. Again, not a judgment on the merits of that reality, just a statement that it is in fact reality.

Raidermatt

I'm really hoping Ghibli comes to Disney+ one day. It'll introduce new people to the studio's films and be a way for folks like myself to watch the entire back catalogue of fantastic films they've released. PLUS... i'd love to see some kind of Ghibli attraction come to the studio's park.
Its on HBOMax. But as we should all know, it will not become an attraction unless either Disney purchases the IP, or they experience a MAJOR strategic shift.

dman1373

Original Poster
The echo chambers of today's fandoms (and really everything else) create a lack of perspective.

It's one thing to say something has a niche following. That alone doesn't preclude it from being able to generate something with mass appeal, like an attraction. The issue with Ghibli, and anime in general in the US, is not only is it a niche product, most of the rest of the public has a negative view of it. Or at the very least, doesn't get it and doesn't want to get it.

Personally I appreciate the artistic merit of some of the films. But in general they do not resonate, and I find the style to be hyperbolic and just downright silly at times.

In WDW? Maybe something small in the Japan pavilion, as others have said. They rotate displays in the area behind Mitsukoshi on occasion, that would be a possibility.

But unless Disney purchases the IP, its not going to turn it into any kind of attraction. They simply do not build anything not based on their own existing IP anymore. Again, not a judgment on the merits of that reality, just a statement that it is in fact reality.
I mean spirited away grossed 350 million dollars in 2001money and won an academy for best animated picture....idk if that is niche

BasiltheBatLord

I think it's a stretch to label Ghibli "niche". It may be niche among Western mainstream media compared to Asia, but Ghibli and Miyazaki are held in very high regard in the film world, Spirited Away was the first non-English language film to win Best Animated Film.

I would reckon that familiarity with Ghibli among Gen Z and Millennials (of any country) is high.

Club Cooloholic

Who views it negatively? Some might not understand it but I haven't heard people be negative.

Raidermatt

Who views it negatively? Some might not understand it but I haven't heard people be negative.
Hence the echo chamber.

Seriously, if they don't understand it, that's pretty much a negative in and of itself. They won't watch it again, and they certainly won't be interested in an attraction based on it. (Which won't happen anyway unless Disney buys the IP)

dman1373

Original Poster
Hence the echo chamber.

Seriously, if they don't understand it, that's pretty much a negative in and of itself. They won't watch it again, and they certainly won't be interested in an attraction based on it. (Which won't happen anyway unless Disney buys the IP)
I think you are in the echo chamber .... I think that anime in general has become more and more popular among the youth. Now if you don't know that then that's on you. You are in the echo chamber.

Raidermatt

I think you are in the echo chamber .... I think that anime in general has become more and more popular among the youth. Now if you don't know that then that's on you. You are in the echo chamber.
Ah the old "nah ah, you" argument.

More popular, yes I am aware. Still a niche, yes, I am also aware. There is no way anime has the base needed in the US to justify Disney investing in an attraction. Look at all of their own IP which does not even have an attraction. And some of those films generated $500+ million at the box office (one even over a $billion).

Never mind the fact today's Disney does not build anything not based on existing IP they own. So if you want your Ghibli attraction, you first need to convince Disney to buy it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom