Studio Backlot Tour Closing on September 27, 2014

NewfieFan

according to jim hill (whos been fairly correct these days) the latest is that the hat and ugly crap stage is staying. :banghead: I hope hes wrong or that they changed their mind, again.

I thought the stage had to come down because it was a temporary structure or something? The explanation that the Frozen fireworks weren't continuing past the end of September was because the stage was coming down (and the Frozen fireworks include a stage "show" of such).

216bruce

For what it's worth, there are several upcoming runDisney races that use this area for parts of the course (Tower of Terror 10 Miler in October, Wine & Dine Half Marathon in November, and to a lesser extent the Marathon in January). If there is going to be major work in that area before then, each would need to get a new course certified by USATF

Typically the USATF course certifications are done several months in advance and posted on the USATF website (the 5K &10K for January were updated a few days ago), so that Disney can send it to their graphics department to get in all of the race materials, and other logistics can be determined. So far, none of those courses have been updated (and Disney's 'official' courses have been posted on their website for October and November), leading me to believe that there won't be major work until at least mid-November, but probably into January

Part of me wonders if the sudden closure is a reflection of the supposed problems this park has had meeting its numbers this year. If they lop off a large attraction for the new fiscal year, operating expenses will drop, but I wonder if guests will still be inclined to spend as much time/money in the park
Now- now, logical, rational thinking will get you nowhere on these boards. Do some pointless ranting, crabbing about "Frozen" or at least gripe about something.
Seriously, I thought the same thing about the race courses and the USATF certification. They can re-route the marathon without much trouble but they do need to post it soon. Agreed- after marathon weekend at least.

minsmk

Aww :( Hopefully something good will come. BLT isn't as good as it use to be, and if it's not the Frozen theater being moved and AIE sitting vacant? And is a high capacity family ride that DHS needs? Sure thing :3

I just have to get one more hot wing sandwitch from SCC.. Those things are amazing!

I won't be there on the last day though :( I wish I road it last trip but I didn't have time.

Hopefully disney doesn't touch Muppets, that is one of my favorite 3d shows :(

GoofGoof

Premium Member
For what it's worth, there are several upcoming runDisney races that use this area for parts of the course (Tower of Terror 10 Miler in October, Wine & Dine Half Marathon in November, and to a lesser extent the Marathon in January). If there is going to be major work in that area before then, each would need to get a new course certified by USATF

Typically the USATF course certifications are done several months in advance and posted on the USATF website (the 5K &10K for January were updated a few days ago), so that Disney can send it to their graphics department to get in all of the race materials, and other logistics can be determined. So far, none of those courses have been updated (and Disney's 'official' courses have been posted on their website for October and November), leading me to believe that there won't be major work until at least mid-November, but probably into January

Part of me wonders if the sudden closure is a reflection of the supposed problems this park has had meeting its numbers this year. If they lop off a large attraction for the new fiscal year, operating expenses will drop, but I wonder if guests will still be inclined to spend as much time/money in the park
Interesting point. Do the races actually use the roads on the backlot tour or do they just pass in front of the entrance building? I think there is probably a lot of demo work, relocating and general cleanup that needs to be done before any real construction would start, but they wouldn't start that work if guests would be back in that area.

FigmentJedi

Current rumors I've been hearing elsewhere are pointing towards Backlot Tour's replacement being partially a copy of Toy Story Playland.

Jeffxz

Interesting point. Do the races actually use the roads on the backlot tour or do they just pass in front of the entrance building? I think there is probably a lot of demo work, relocating and general cleanup that needs to be done before any real construction would start, but they wouldn't start that work if guests would be back in that area.

Not sure about last year but in 2013 the track ran along the tram path for a section including through the costuming warehouse.

elchippo

Even though BLT was dying a slow painful death anyways, this is still sad....the "movie magic" aspect of MGM is why I loved that park so hard as a kid. Toy Story kiddie rides would be a big disappointment. This park really IS changing, big time.

YodaMan

This has come as a bit of a shock so quickly.. My first day won't be until 28th so won't be able to ride this again which is a shame but my main concern is the effect on queue times in the rest of the park? Anyone have any idea what the capacities are and the knock on effect there might be on lines at other attractions?

I'm curious about this as well, especially since there isn't much of an alternative to the ride. Right after American Idol closed, they added a bunch more times for the Frozen Sing Along. Not exactly the same thing, but removing one stage show with minimal crowds and adding more times to a popular stage show probably evened things out overall. Not sure what effect Backlot will have.

And for what it's worth, Backlot actually has had a very solid crowd lately. It seemed to be basically a walk-on for almost all of summer, but yesterday they actually sent every tram full and people would actually have to wait multiple groups to get to the tank scene. Not sure if it's been a fluke as of late or if the park is really going to start having capacity problems soon.

And one more not-super-related point, but all the CMs seem to have been relocated to MK, so I guess management doesn't think they need te extra staff in Studios to combat bigger crowds at other attractions?

Chroniq

Let me speculate for you on the future of the studios. The best thing to replace The Back Lot Tour is Cars Land. It only takes up 8 acres in Disneyland and the Back Lot Tour is 10.75. You could even retheme Lights Motors Action to Cars themed. Further more, you could hit a 2.5 acre Monsters Inc doors themed coaster Next to story mania. There is that much room. They recently filed permits to double the height of the American idol building, so I expect a more formal Anna and Elsa show to go there. Finally with StarWars land, all you have to do is knock down the backlot express restaurant and the already closing Indiana Jones stunt spectular (we have permits for that already happen).. There's the room for your StarWars land.. The loss of back lot express is taken care of by all new cars land dining venues.
Also, you still have enough room to do all of this, and still leave all of streets of America.

I'm not saying all of this will happen, but where the permitting and leaks are leading me to.

Last edited:

iheartdisney91

Hopefully after this Disney will take a break from Frozen. Go ahead and move "Oakens"
but please nothing else. Eventually too much Frozen will get boring and tedious for even
the diehard fans of it.

I'm hoping for Carsland, more pixar, or even Starwars. A Starwars themed restaurant would be fun!

CDavid

Let me speculate for you on the future of the studios. The best thing to replace The Back Lot Tour is Cars Land. It only takes up 8 acres in Disneyland and the Back Lot Tour is 10.75. You could even retheme Lights Motors Action to Cars themed. Further more, you could hit a 2.5 acre Monsters Inc doors themed coaster Next to story mania. There is that much room. They recently filed permits to double the height of the American idol building, so I expect a more formal Anna and Elsa show to go there. Finally with StarWars land, all you have to do is knock down the backlot express restaurant and the already closing Indiana Jones stunt spectular (we have permits for that already happen).. There's the room for your StarWars land.. The loss of back lot express is taken care of by all new cars land dining venues.
Also, you still have enough room to do all of this, and still leave all of streets of America.

I'm not saying all of this will happen, but where the permitting and leaks are leading me to.

I thought the latest rumors indicated Indiana Jones was not closing, at least for several years. If there are permits filed, they are available online, right? Paging @danlb_2000 ...

TomHendricks

I personally would like to see Pixar Land. With a smaller version of Cars Land, just RSR and the town. A Monsters Inc. roller coaster and why the hell not, move Laugh Factory from MK to the new Pixar Land. You already have TSMM, so adding a real Pizza Planet with arcade and everything would be great. Of course, theaters galore for Meet & Greets. I would like to shoe horn something in from Up and Wall-E but can't think of anything. Maybe something from upcoming release.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom