Studio Backlot Tour Closing on September 27, 2014

HolleBolleGijs

Send the props over to Paris. That version needs bulking up with something.

I was at WDS for the first time yesterday. The only time I even considered riding it was when my feet hurt and I wanted to sit down for a bit. Even then I skipped it, like I usually did at DHS.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Agreed, rather than removing attractions citing space reasons, i've never understood why they dont just expand the park boarders. I know in most cases its not feasible, but in some cases it could be done.

Bigger park = more expensive to operate and more to maintain. If things aren't pulling their weight, why keep paying to run them AND spend more money to expand around it?

SJN1279

Now expanding Toy Story Mania makes perfect sense. Pixar Place will become a Toy Story Land and DHS will get a well themed land for kids(something the park has always lacked).

space42

Now expanding Toy Story Mania makes perfect sense. Pixar Place will become a Toy Story Land and DHS will get a well themed land for kids(something the park has always lacked).

Just hope that Toy Story Land isn't decorated carnival rides. This is the last thing DHS needs IMHO. If the Magic Kingdom never needed carnival rides "for the kids" , then DHS doesn't need them either. (I know someone is going to point out that dumbo and the carousel are carnival rides - point still stands as those are minor attractions in a fully fleshed out park.) What DHS needs is attractions the whole family can ride together. :)

SJN1279

People complain all the time about Disney not doing anything, but when you look at the total overhaul of Downtown Disney into Disney Springs, MK getting NFL and a hub expansion for better flow, AK getting Avatar and a night show, and maybe an overhaul of HS, it's a pretty exciting time for Disney.

Agreed 100 percent. How can you say WDW is stagnant, when each park and downtown disney will all get major attractions by the decades end?

SJN1279

Just hope that Toy Story Land isn't decorated carnival rides. This is the last thing DHS needs IMHO. If the Magic Kingdom never needed carnival rides "for the kids" , then DHS doesn't need them either. (I know someone is going to point out that dumbo and the carousel are carnival rides - point still stands as those are minor attractions in a fully fleshed out park.) What DHS needs is attractions the whole family can ride together. :)
A Bug's Land is one of my favorite sections of DCA. It is well themed and the rides are fun for all ages.

BrerJon

Unfortunately as good as it'll look on paper and graphs (aaaaaand cue @ParentsOf4 ) it'll be one less attraction in a park already hurting for things to do and rides to ride. The remaining rides and attractions will have longer queues and longer waits, which is not appealing to guests.

It looks great on paper though. Look how Fastpass+ has made things like Imagination or Living with the Land suddenly have 25 minute lines, when before they were walk-ons. Disney is busy telling everyone how these attractions don't need updating because they're still insanely popular. Epcot has delivered them a golden formula - the more you close, the longer the lines for what's left, the more popular your rides appear to be.

Last edited:

BrerJon

Agreed 100 percent. How can you say WDW is stagnant, when each park and downtown disney will all get major attractions by the decades end?

Each decade, every park should be getting *several* major attractions, and at least one decent expansion. A new land at DAK, MK, DHS and a ride reskin at Epcot in a ten year period is a very poor rate compared to what they used to be like 20 years ago.

Other, non Disney theme parks could never get away with only building one ride every ten years, like DAK and Epcot have done.

space42

When does the Magic Kingdom get said major attractions? I'm talking MAJOR - you know, like Splash, Thunder, Mansion, Pirates, 20K, Jungle Cruise, Space. In fact WHICH park is getting anything close to that scale? Soarin' over Pandora?

mm121

Bigger park = more expensive to operate and more to maintain. If things aren't pulling their weight, why keep paying to run them AND spend more money to expand around it?

I didn't say keep things that aren't pulling their weight, i supported the removal of the current BLT/LMA to make room for Pixar Place/ Toy Story Play Land

Basically just getting that if your going to redo an entire side of the park anyways which is what it looks like they may be considering, then when building new its imporant to think towards the future, and not BOX themselves in, as they've done so many times, which literally makes future expansion IMPOSSIBLE

But the parks desperately need an increase in attraction capacity. attractions that people actially care about and want to go on.

would be great if they could build out a park so where it can reach its target capacity and not have 2 hour wait times, or they really really need to lower the park maximum capacity numbers, as the parks are just misarable when they are that crowded.

mm121

also, why not use technology to the advantage here, to build new attractions but in such a way that drastic increases in staff aren't needed, or rides that can be "capacity flexible" ie where cars/trains etc can be taken off line when not needed.
definitely hope not, we definitly DONT need another dinoland usa, that area needs a rebuild from scratch.

not sure why you say MK is fully fleshed out, it still needs more, as its the park that has the highest attendance and as such, is still in need of capacity increases.

it may not currently be stagnant, but the other reason its not is because they sat on their laurals for the last decade or so, barely building anything.
A Bug's Land is one of my favorite sections of DCA. It is well themed and the rides are fun for all ages.
they could build one somewhere at DAK, it could use a better kids area themed better than dinoland usa
It looks great on paper though. Look how Fastpass+ has made things like Imagination or Living with the Land suddenly have 25 minute lines, when before they were walk-ons. Disney is busy telling everyone how these attractions don't need updating because they're still insanely popular. Epcot has delivered them a golden formula - the more you close, the longer the lines for what's left, the more popular your rides appear to be.

totally hitting it on the head, they've become masters of manipulation numbers wise.

if epcot had other attractions Soarin wouldn't be in need of additional capacity, the only reason its "insanely" popular is because there isn't tons else to do in that area, and especially things that everyone can do, since not everyone is able to go on Mission Space/ Test Track, due to their more extreme nature.

Each decade, every park should be getting *several* major attractions, and at least one decent expansion. A new land at DAK, MK, DHS and a ride reskin at Epcot in a ten year period is a very poor rate compared to what they used to be like 20 years ago.

Other, non Disney theme parks could never get away with only building one ride every ten years, like DAK and Epcot have done.
It would definitely be great to see a long term plan for adding attractions over time, but this would require following some of the advice i put forth in my Ultimate threads, which would reconfigure certain park areas to allow expansion over time, without completely shutting down entire sections of the parks, or closing a 3 attractions to just add three back, while having things closed for 2/3 years.
When does the Magic Kingdom get said major attractions? I'm talking MAJOR - you know, like Splash, Thunder, Mansion, Pirates, 20K, Jungle Cruise, Space. In fact WHICH park is getting anything close to that scale? Soarin' over Pandora?

The only major attraction MK got was seven dwarfs, and that was only after public outrage, over a million meet and greets and no attractions for the new fantasy land

Goofyernmost

A half day park seems like it's becoming a quarter day park. A footnote in a vacation.
Also known as, in theme park jargon, an extra day to spend at Universal.

Finally people are starting to get a grasp on one of the main reasons for the FP changes. It's to move people away from the long, long lines and put them into more acceptable lines. There are a lot of people that go to the parks, for the first time, everyday. They don't know that without FP+ there would have been no line.

Jim Hill, mainly, but it's been rumoured for ages and fits the profile of things that could be for the chop.
You could be right, stranger things have happened, but, I think that the day that GMR goes will be the point when those of us that remember the Disney/MGM experience stop going to that park permanently.

FrankLapidus

In what way does ignoring the other brilliant films in the Pixar library make perfect sense? Why is it a good thing?

Or would it just be easier for them to replicate the one ride already in Pixar Place and put it in the building next door while adding a couple of smaller, cheaper attractions from another Disney park to pad the area out than actually fleshing out the exisiting Pixar Place with quality attractions based on the studio's other classic films?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom