Studio Backlot Tour Closing on September 27, 2014

YodaMan

They probably got a nasty response last time and are going to quietly pull the plug this time around and hope no one notices.

To slightly add to that, the confirmation about Backlot came from the internal list of advisories. These advisories are sorted by date posted, so Backlot was at the top and then Maelstrom was right below. But the day after Backlot was announced, they changed the "posting date" on Maelstrom so it would be back at the top. They are literally trying to bury the news about Backlot (or really bring forward the news about Maelstrom, which I doubt is the case).

mm121

I really really hope they DONT build a CARS LAND.

It may be popular and all, but why must things duplicate on both coasts.

The pixar expansion could be cool, as could star wars.

It's really messed up though since now they have attractions closed/closing on both sides of the park. with no replacements announced.

Indiana Jones, American Idol, and now Backlot Tour Etc.

It really seems like they would try to finish construction in one park rather than having 3 parks plus Disney Springs all torn up at the same time. Seems like they are trying to play catch up from years of neglect. Most likely due partially to the continued construction just up the road, to make things seem like they are progressing.

I just hope in the end HS ends up with a NET INCREASE in ATTRACTIONS, unlike what happened at MK, where after the removal of toon town, and other attractions the new attraction just balanced out or possibly even finished with LESS attractions not more.

With the parks continued increase in popularity/attendance, they REALLY REALLY need new PEOPLE EATER attractions.

HS is going to be so crowded if/when LMA closes as this is a HUGE people eater.

TomHendricks

The problem with going all the way to the "river" is that the land between the access road and the river are designated wet lands. Reedy Creek designated them as such years ago, however, let's get serious for a minute, Reedy Creek is Disney and with little or no protest can change that, but, it would have to be relocated, they can't just eliminate it completely. That is expense and work, but, it is doable and would open DHS to a lot more possibilities and building pads.
Disney just did some shuffling with Reedy Creek to remove some protected wetlands area and to add additional areas of protected wetlands area. So if they did it once, easily...they can do it again easily.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I really really hope they DONT build a CARS LAND.

It may be popular and all, but why must things duplicate on both coasts.

The pixar expansion could be cool, as could star wars.

It's really messed up though since now they have attractions closed/closing on both sides of the park. with no replacements announced.

Indiana Jones, American Idol, and now Backlot Tour Etc.

It really seems like they would try to finish construction in one park rather than having 3 parks plus Disney Springs all torn up at the same time. Seems like they are trying to play catch up from years of neglect. Most likely due partially to the continued construction just up the road, to make things seem like they are progressing.

I just hope in the end HS ends up with a NET INCREASE in ATTRACTIONS, unlike what happened at MK, where after the removal of toon town, and other attractions the new attraction just balanced out or possibly even finished with LESS attractions not more.

With the parks continued increase in popularity/attendance, they REALLY REALLY need new PEOPLE EATER attractions.

HS is going to be so crowded if/when LMA closes as this is a HUGE people eater.
I think Indy is still safe for the time being, last I heard. And by heard I mean read earlier in the thread.

BrerJon

Those have all come with announcements of new things as well. I don't believe they've finalized the replacements.

AFI closed, turning into Frozen gift shop
AIE closed, no replacement announced
Backlot Tour closed, no replacement announced
Sounds Dangerous closed 2 years ago, no replacement announced
Maelstrom closed, replaced by Frozen ride.

So three diverse attractions and an exhibition have been replaced by one Frozen attraction and a Frozen gift shop.

Last edited:

bethymouse

Well, I guess that's why my husband is waiting to go back to Disney. Too many changes/closures. I know that DHS and EPCOT need something new, but complete closures? If they put FROZEN in permanently, then that's it for me! I do like the movie, but I hope rumors of more substantial/long-lasting projects come about!:eek: But, there is definitely something afoot! Waiting...:cautious:

Fox&Hound

Well, count me excited. The Back Lot Tour was shell of its former self and needed to be put out of its misery. I don't see how anyone can deny that SOMETHING big is planned for Hollywood Studios. And after looking at videos of the Toy Story Play Land, if that or something like it is what they have in store for an expansion to Pixar Place-I'm okay with it. Hollywood Studios really does not have a lot of rides small children can enjoy. It could use some TSPL or Bug's Life (California) type rides. Now, I'd hope that would be a phase one with maybe a phase two including Monster's Inc Door Coaster, Mater's Junk yard Jamboree, or even a Radiator Springs ride. Some larger E-ticket maybe down the road. Also, I'd love to see another food option back there too, such as Flo's from Carsland or the cozy cone Motel. IMHO, Hollywood has some of the worst food options around (not including Brown Derby). Either way, I'm exited to see some changes coming to a stale park. I think a Pixar expansion and then as major Star Wars expansion could be just the thing to breathe new life into the park. Kinda exciting to look at all that is being built at WDW. People complain all the time about Disney not doing anything, but when you look at the total overhaul of Downtown Disney into Disney Springs, MK getting NFL and a hub expansion for better flow, AK getting Avatar and a night show, and maybe an overhaul of HS, it's a pretty exciting time for Disney.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You know what is interesting? That the Disney Parks Blog is not releasing this news in an official manner yet. They could have done so on Friday (since it's their favorite day to bury news of closures), but chose not to. What are they waiting for? Do you think they want to surprise us all by also announcing what will replace it? It's also weird because they have privately confirmed this closure to other news outlets. Still, no Disney Parks Blog news. As a comparison, Maelstrom's closure was officially announced on the Park Blog before being announced internally. Strange how things change from park to park, even in the same resort.
The other announcements were not to announce that something was closing or going away but rather to announce that something new was coming. They announced a new Frozen ride and new entertainment in EPCOT not the closure of Maelstrom and the firing of the existing EPCOT entertainers. I do think its poor customer service to not let guests know that rides are officially closed or are going to close. Not every guest knows what the people here know.

If the rumors are true they will at most announce the expansion of TSMM and an expansion of Pixar Place but won't give us much more than that. Then some concept art will slowly come out. I wouldn't expect an official roster of new attractions for a while still.

BigTxEars

Well, count me excited. The Back Lot Tour was shell of its former self and needed to be put out of its misery. I don't see how anyone can deny that SOMETHING big is planned for Hollywood Studios. And after looking at videos of the Toy Story Play Land, if that or something like it is what they have in store for an expansion to Pixar Place-I'm okay with it. Hollywood Studios really does not have a lot of rides small children can enjoy. It could use some TSPL or Bug's Life (California) type rides. Now, I'd hope that would be a phase one with maybe a phase two including Monster's Inc Door Coaster, Mater's Junk yard Jamboree, or even a Radiator Springs ride. Some larger E-ticket maybe down the road. Also, I'd love to see another food option back there too, such as Flo's from Carsland or the cozy cone Motel. IMHO, Hollywood has some of the worst food options around (not including Brown Derby). Either way, I'm exited to see some changes coming to a stale park. I think a Pixar expansion and then as major Star Wars expansion could be just the thing to breathe new life into the park. Kinda exciting to look at all that is being built at WDW. People complain all the time about Disney not doing anything, but when you look at the total overhaul of Downtown Disney into Disney Springs, MK getting NFL and a hub expansion for better flow, AK getting Avatar and a night show, and maybe an overhaul of HS, it's a pretty exciting time for Disney.

I agree, lots to look forward to in the coming years at WDW :)

DVCPluto

AFI closed, turning into Frozen gift shop
AIE closed, no replacement announced
Backlot Tour closed, no replacement announced
Sounds Dangerous closed 2 years ago, no replacement announced
Maelstrom closed, replaced by Frozen ride.

So three diverse attractions and an exhibition have been replaced by one Frozen attraction and a Frozen gift shop.

This is depressing.

Goofyernmost

The Magic Kingdom received Cinderellabration, based on a show at Tokyo Disneyland. Mickey's PhilharMagic and Stitch Great Escape opened before 2005. Lights! Motors! Action! never really got the same response here as the original version has in France. It seems that rumors of its demise started almost immediately.
You are correct about Cinderellabration, I got the two mixed up somehow. Thanks for the correction. :)

Goofyernmost

Disney just did some shuffling with Reedy Creek to remove some protected wetlands area and to add additional areas of protected wetlands area. So if they did it once, easily...they can do it again easily.
I wouldn't go so far as to say "easily", it is an expensive ecologically important engineering process as well as an expensive physical process, but, it can be done. It's not without it's problems, but, any place built on a swamp has already run the gamut of problems associated with a project like that, probably more then once.

DVCPluto

Not only possible but plans are in place to do just that and have the entrance to DHS be from the right of this picture. It seems like they have stalled on those plans for whatever reason for the time being, but I wouldn't at all be surprised to see it resurface before to long.

The problem with going all the way to the "river" is that the land between the access road and the river are designated wet lands. Reedy Creek designated them as such years ago, however, let's get serious for a minute, Reedy Creek is Disney and with little or no protest can change that, but, it would have to be relocated, they can't just eliminate it completely. That is expense and work, but, it is doable and would open DHS to a lot more possibilities and building pads.

We were discussing earlier the area above that which is now taken up by LMA equipment. Look at the area along side LMA that is currently a very wide part of the toll booth area now. That would accommodate the practice and maintenance area of LMA and open that internal space up for attractions. OR they could just get rid of LMA and even just go to the outside limits of the access road and gain tons of space. Figure out the cheapest way and that will be the direction they will take.

I agree with the cheapo aspect, which is frustrating in itself, and probably a topic for another thread.

Since I'm apparently addicted to google maps, here's another view:
Screenshot2014-09-21at122405PM_zps91599f30.png

What is the circular tree space about Cypress Dr? This looks like a lot of usable space as well.

I agree that there is quite a bit of space behind LMA - and could be used for good. However, IMO it's not enough to calm the TPokaDHS critics.

You are so right that Reedy Creek = Disney. Hopefully, they expand where it makes the most sense for the park, and not just the cheapest route. I like to think of myself as a mindful environmentalist, but when the lines are drawn for "other" reasons to start with, I have less of a problem with relocation of wetlands.

mm121

Between the prop shop, prop warehouse, boneyard, & tram pathway, there's a fair amount of materials they will need to archive before demo.
Disney really should make a museum or something, maybe build it at Disney Springs west side out to the west by Cirque du soleil
"Archive"......as in, let them sit out in the weather to rot and rust for years?

I've always wondered about the area beyond S. Studio Dr. Since BLT is essentially gone, and LMA seems to be next (I thought it would close before this Dec), can they extend the park beyond S. Studio Dr?

Screenshot2014-09-21at80955AM_zps4d3472e6.png

Right along this river? Bump the park all the way to the water?

The access road would need to change, but wouldn't that be possible?

Agreed, rather than removing attractions citing space reasons, i've never understood why they dont just expand the park boarders. I know in most cases its not feasible, but in some cases it could be done.

Yea it would be a challenge and costly, but with deep pockets anything is possible.

I first mentioned moving the entrance drive in this thread awhile back.
The Ultimate Hollywood Studios Expansion

Not only possible but plans are in place to do just that and have the entrance to DHS be from the right of this picture. It seems like they have stalled on those plans for whatever reason for the time being, but I wouldn't at all be surprised to see it resurface before to long.

We were discussing earlier the area above that which is now taken up by LMA equipment. Look at the area along side LMA that is currently a very wide part of the toll booth area now. That would accommodate the practice and maintenance area of LMA and open that internal space up for attractions. OR they could just get rid of LMA and even just go to the outside limits of the access road and gain tons of space. Figure out the cheapest way and that will be the direction they will take.

Would be great to see this land used someday.

To expand pixar they would still have to shuffel things around and close backlot though, and LMA, but there is plenty of space to either replace backlot/lma, or preferably bring a set of all new attractions.

Use the space where LMA & BLT are for Pixar / Toystory Play Land.

Then use the land where Indiana Jones is currently for Starwars land.

In all realism, Indiana Jones could be moved without tons of difficulty to the new area in red, along with a new backlot/ movie studios ride/ attraction, preferably designed in such a way where it could be updated on an annual basis, and would be great to bring back some of the original aspects, that incuded showing the actual filming process for movies, otherwise, HS is just another park without an identity.

and now that more and more attractions are being named after movies, what trully differentiates HS from the other parks? especially with no attraction really related to studios,

hollywood-studios-jpg.50295

mm121

I agree with the cheapo aspect, which is frustrating in itself, and probably a topic for another thread.

Since I'm apparently addicted to google maps, here's another view:
Screenshot2014-09-21at122405PM_zps91599f30.png

What is the circular tree space about Cypress Dr? This looks like a lot of usable space as well.

I agree that there is quite a bit of space behind LMA - and could be used for good. However, IMO it's not enough to calm the TPokaDHS critics.

You are so right that Reedy Creek = Disney. Hopefully, they expand where it makes the most sense for the park, and not just the cheapest route. I like to think of myself as a mindful environmentalist, but when the lines are drawn for "other" reasons to start with, I have less of a problem with relocation of wetlands.

That circle space right now is probably classified as wetland is why they wont use it,

there are also other reasons not to use it, since they may need this space for a highway interchange at some point, so it would be bad to build rides here, and disney prefers people not be able to see most of the parks from the roadways. and building in that space would most likely be visible from LBV.

Soarin' Over Pgh

maybe do it before the new fiscal year? just a guess

Well...technically. Closing down the ride cuts a lot of staff, and a lot of overhead operating costs. Which will look like the park is suddenly a notch or two higher on bringing in the money (shell out less dough, lower bottom line, looks like more profit$)

Unfortunately as good as it'll look on paper and graphs (aaaaaand cue @ParentsOf4 ) it'll be one less attraction in a park already hurting for things to do and rides to ride. The remaining rides and attractions will have longer queues and longer waits, which is not appealing to guests.

They really need to up their building game and get something rolling as soon as possible, and not take five years to flesh it out. Attendance and park $$$$$ being made will suffer until then.

A half day park seems like it's becoming a quarter day park. A footnote in a vacation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom