News Structure built in Kilimanjaro Safaris?

Lilofan

A week ago it was just a slab of concrete. I've never seen any construction at Disney move faster than glacial speed.
It's one of those construction walls you see all over WDW. WDI just made it more magical by making it look like something while something new is being built inside.

techgeek

The poacher story had its issues, and I also feel the attraction is better in its absence... but one thing it did well was give the Safari a true finale. There was a sense of urgency created and the bit of chase added some small thrill to the experience. Now, things kind of just putter out as you pull into unload without anything to look at.

Without a story to hang itself on, the Safari is also perhaps the most inconsistent experience at WDW. Guest satisfaction varies greatly, and a first timer pulling a ride at 8:30 in the morning with a enthusiastic driver is going to have a much different impression and experience then one on a sunny afternoon with a driver having an off day. The former might call it the best experience on property... the later might have not seen much and now feels vaguely queasy from being jostled around in the heat for 20 minutes. Adding some story framework back in, especially in the last few moments where you need to deliver a good final impression, could help elevate a bad Safari experience.

This shack doesn’t look quite capable of that kind of magic though, does it?

ewensell3

Field vet shack?

Story adjusted to revolve around injured animal on the safari. Throughout we get reports of search and capture. At end we see the animal has been brought to a field station to be stabilized before being transported to the main facility. From here the story could be extended into the vet facility over at Conservation Station.

Edit - Afterthought. The injured animal is a lion that fell into a ravine and and may have been trampled by a herd of wildebeests.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

One can go to a zoo or any number of drive-thru safaris for the same or similar experience. The poacher plot while somewhat hokey, did add to the experience (as did many of the other effects that have since been turned off or removed)

So much of what made the attraction an "attraction" has been stripped away. The current version feels less "magical" or entertaining because of it, IMO. I think a happy medium should be the end goal. Something to elevate it beyond the typical zoo/safari concept.
Story or not, it’s the best zoological attraction I’ve ever experienced (and I’ve done the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park.)
The closest experience from an animal roster would be the San Diego Safari Park but Kilimanjaro Safaris is much better done from an environment standpoint. Most others are more functional than thematically appropriate. If you're on a Disney message board, that absolutely matters.

Disneyson

I agree. Especially because the Zebra enclosure, to my knowledge, has issues in terms of health standards for the Zebras (I believe they were/are getting sick?), effectively keeping the ending of the Safari consistently animal-free from entry into the glen till unload. The ride was designed for the lions to be the “finale animal”, as they really ought to be. The downer of a long stretch of road at the end of the attraction with very few (if any) animal sightings likely does affect guest satisfaction. Something really has to be done with the ending to make it pop once more.

I think people are now used to seeing immersive zoo environments, and have experienced drive-through zoo experiences. There are even “similar” experiences in Florida, including at Busch Gardens. While the experiences are different enough in terms of quality and immersion, the average guest sees the theming, not necessarily the things that are designed to be unseen. A boost to the ending would be very beneficial to the ride and would be a perfect “50 for the 50th” thing, if that were actually happening.

bdearl41

I actually hope not.

I liked the original Safari and thought removing the story was a mistake, but I was wrong. The current version lets the animals be the stars and gives you more time to focus on actually seeing them. They're the reason people are riding it; anything that minimizes them even slightly will likely make it worse.

Go State! Sorry. Had to.

Bandsaws

The closest experience from an animal roster would be the San Diego Safari Park but Kilimanjaro Safaris is much better done from an environment standpoint. Most others are more functional than thematically appropriate. If you're on a Disney message board, that absolutely matters.
I'd list the Night Safari in Singapore as a comparison, too. The tram ride is on pavement, but the vibe is similar to Kilimanjaro and the animal enclosures are well designed with natural barriers rather than obvious fencing in many cases.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom