Stroppy CM at Blizzard Beach!

roger watson

Original Poster
We have now been back two weeks and already looking forward to next and free dining again!.

Just thought I would recount our encounter with a cast member at Blizzard Beach.

Basically what happened was that we went on the family raft ride and as there were 3 of us we had to share our raft with another party. Now thats all fine but when we got to the bottom of the ride we noticed that the raft behind only had 3 people in it.

As BB was not busy at all at the time re decided to re-ride and hiked back to the top of the mountain and indeed there was no wait at the ride.

We did note a sign which said minimum of 4 in a raft however no signs at the bottom of the climb to warn you!.

Anyway my wife asked very nicely if we could ride as a 3 so we could enjoy a family experience and also get a nice picture from the photo pass guy at the bottom.

The lady ride operator said she would need to check with a supervisor and we said ok thinking this would be a simple thing, however she then went off to her telephone to make a phone call.

We did find this a little odd as she came back to say her supervisor was on his way!.At this point things started to get a bit strained my wife asked where he was coming from and we were told some complicated story about how these messages are passed and that he was on his way.

As we we now standing in the blazing sun tempers were getting frayed and my wife said why is it that some go with 3 but not us. The CM said you need 4 for safety reasons, so OK fair enough weve had enough of waiting and no sign of the supervisor so we said we would go down and share with another party.

However we was now letting other parties go ahead of us and my wife said "you are just keeping us here to prove a point now "which she denied and kept saying he is on his way.

After a 15/20 wait during which I had visions of us being chucked out in disgrace the supervisor turned up had a discussion with the animated cast member and then came to us to find out what the problem was.

We explained what had happened and he apologised on behalf of the CM and said would we like her to apologise to us as well!.Well no thanks can we just go on the damn ride now my son is 7 and by now was parched.

Anyway we rode again (sharing) and put it all down to experince but not much pixie dust on the raft ride that day.

Later in the day we bumped into the very polite supervisor who remembered us and said that he hoped our day had not been spoilt.

Can I just add that 99.9% of CM on our visit were great and we look forward to going back next year.

Cynderella

Wow that really stinks! We were in TL on our honeymoon in Sept and we went on the family raft ride with only 2 people. Now I dont remember how BB's family raft ride is but we had no problem in TL with just the 2 of us. Maybe it was a slower season then so they didn't care? :shrug:

Figment82

That's bizarre... I'm an only child so when my parents and I would go to BB we would always ride the family raft ride and never had a problem with it just being the 3 of us. We never had another family join us (and this was in July or August). I'm sorry that happened to you!

k.hunter30

I don't know... I can understand having to wait. It seems the CM was just trying to follow the rules for the safety of the riders. That CM might not have felt as comfortable as others breaking the rules - especially is he/she was new. :shrug:

Eyorefan

I don't know... I can understand having to wait. It seems the CM was just trying to follow the rules for the safety of the riders. That CM might not have felt as comfortable as others breaking the rules - especially is he/she was new. :shrug:

I think it would be understandable if the CM had just said, "No for saftey reasons." And followed that up with, "others may have ridden with just 3, but it was against the rules. Sorry." Why make people wait 20 mins. for a supervisor? Why didnt' the supervisor just tell the CM to tell them no instead of making them wait until he could get there?

I'm not saying the CM was wrong to say no, or to even check to see if it was okay, I just think the rest was odd.

roger watson

Original Poster
Sorry I forget that us Brits are really a guest on this mainly USA forum!

Stroppy means kind of having a bad day and unwilling to compromise to resolve a problem basically a bad mood!

Hope this explains.

Thiger

I feel for you, esp since last year my dgf and I rode only 2. I think it may have to do w/ the dispersment of weight in turn effecting the way the raft banks down the chute. I bet the CM was trying to be on the safe side of things but you never know. Sorry to hear it spoiled your day...

When i went 2 weeks ago we arrived at our resort at around 6:30pm and were eager to get to MNNSHP. Well wouldn't you know that we got a '1st day training' person to check us in. Which was fine as everyone has a first day and it's always a big scary thing, no matter who you are and where you work.
It took about 35-40 mins to check us in (the other line checked 3 parties of 4-6 people each in during the same interval that we were checked in...only 2 in my party).

What bothered me is that there were 8 people behind the counter and just gabbing w/ each other and no one offered to walk her through the steps in a thorough and patient manner. It would've saved us time and she would've felt less nervous as obviously she needed another run through of the proceedures.

Needless to say that was about 30 mins less of party that we got to enjoy. Not to mention a pretty sad way to start a week of happiness :(
Luckily our frowns turned upside down as soon as we walked into the Kingdom!

CrashNet

I don't know why, but I read that as she was just trying to follow the rules and make sure it was ok before she did it... :lookaroun

Cynderella

Stroppy means kind of having a bad day and unwilling to compromise to resolve a problem basically a bad mood!

Hope this explains.

No problem, that's why I didn't mean to be rude I had just never heard that before! Thanks for explaining! :wave:

ImaYoyo

Life guard/Slide Op is one of those tougher roles. You are responsible for human life, which comes in close contact with injury and death quite often at a water park. If you believe something is not safe, it's your responsibility to stop it. New Cast Members or those that have had a traumatic guest experience on their hands in the past may be especially careful in these things.

Though I'm very sorry to hear it dampered your day!

Magicfinder

Hope this explains.

Stroppy...what a great word. I'm going to start using it with my Texas accent.

Back on topic...did you let the stroppy CM put you in a stroppy mood, or did you carry-on in a non-stropulous fashion?

CAPTAIN HOOK

The issue seems to be why you had to ride as a four ("for safety reasons") while others were allowed to ride as a three.

This obviously makes no sense unless there is a single riders line ??? where singles make up the required numbers - perhaps there was no one else available to fill the three rider raft ??

Or somebody was just having a bad day and decided to stick by the posted rules.

Glad to see its not stopped you from returning at some point

miles1

Hope this explains.

Thanks! Now I have a word to describe the day I had at work today!:dazzle:

the-reason14

Wow that really stinks! We were in TL on our honeymoon in Sept and we went on the family raft ride with only 2 people. Now I dont remember how BB's family raft ride is but we had no problem in TL with just the 2 of us. Maybe it was a slower season then so they didn't care? :shrug:

Yea, I remember me and my dad being able to do TL's one with just the two of us, I think because you lug the raft thing most of the way so once you get there they cant make anyone else ride with you because everyone else has or should have their own raft. At BB, the rafts come to you, we tried going down the BB raft just the two of us, but the guy said we would have to wait and ride with 2 others, and we said forget it.

Rob562

I think part of the difference between Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach's family raft rides is the design. If I'm recalling it correctly, at TL the flume is essentially within a canyon. There's nowhere the raft can go outside of the flume. At BB, the flume is an elevated trough with quite the drop to the ground outside of it. (Hope that didn't just scare anyone away...)

BB's also has more banked corners than TL's. I could see the possibility of an uneven raft tipping over, especially if the 2 or 3 people bunched up in one spot on the raft during the ride... Was one of those 3 riders behind the OP on the large side? Maybe they made the case that they counted for two? ;)

-Rob

roger watson

Original Poster
All good valid comments but still a bit odd why she had to get her supervisor in person to come and see us rather than just say I have spoken to him and for safety reasons no go.

By the way in no way did it spoil our day but it did give a topic of conversation over our monster sized ice creams!!!.

Glad I have introduced a new word into the Americian language LOL.

Fluxuated

If you saw the posting of a minimum of 4, and you had 3, why did you feel the need to complain? Obviously the rules are there for a reason. It amazes me, how people always feel the need to break them, and give people a hard time for doing their jobs in trying to enforce them. It would have been a lot easier to just hop on with 4 or more. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom