Stroller debate!!!!

TinkerbellWDW

My husband and I and our kids (7 & 14) will be at WDW on 12/30 - 1/6. I think we need to rent a stroller for my 7 year old just because it will be busy when we go and I will be able to keep track of her. My husband thinks it's waste of money and something we don't need to spend $ on. I have told him the stroller serves multiple purposes such as, holding stuff, saving our spot if we want to watch a parade, 7yr. old can sit and have a quick lunch while were walking to the next ride and I don't have to worry about her keeping up with us. My husband thinks it's a waste of time because he says we have to waste time looking for it after a ride in a sea of strollers. What should I do???? UGH!!!!!

Weather_Lady

In my opinion, there is no way a stroller is necessary for a normal, healthy 7-year-old. My kids were 4 and 6 when we went. We did just about everything in every park and never used a stroller, nor did we need one. (Plus, do you really want to weigh yourself down that way? Traveling without one is so much more convenient! You may think it's handy the first day, but by day 2 you're going to be cursing the thing, and so will all the people you might accidentally bump into with it in the parks and bash with it on the bus.)

We did, however, not have our kids spend an entire day from dawn to dusk traipsing around a park, as I know some hard-hitting families do. We'd tour from rope drop to lunchtime every day and then return to the hotel for 3 hours of napping and/or relaxing. We'd go back to the parks around 4:00pm when the heat and crowds were dissipating, and stay until around 8:30pm (the kids' normal bedtime). That way, we got a ton accomplished, but the kids got sufficient sleep and were never so worn out that they couldn't get anywhere they wanted, on their own power.

Also, your reference to using a stroller to "save a spot" to watch a parade made me LOL. I'm afraid that's just not going to happen, stroller or no. Strollers do not save spaces: they TAKE UP SPACE. You'd return to find that a helpful CM had moved your stroller somewhere else, and that a crowd of dozens was standing in the spot you'd "saved."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

journ116

My husband and I and our kids (7 & 14) will be at WDW on 12/30 - 1/6. I think we need to rent a stroller for my 7 year old just because it will be busy when we go and I will be able to keep track of her. My husband thinks it's waste of money and something we don't need to spend $ on. I have told him the stroller serves multiple purposes such as, holding stuff, saving our spot if we want to watch a parade, 7yr. old can sit and have a quick lunch while were walking to the next ride and I don't have to worry about her keeping up with us. My husband thinks it's a waste of time because he says we have to waste time looking for it after a ride in a sea of strollers. What should I do???? UGH!!!!!

Ah, the great stroller debate! There is no right or wrong answer to this, and frankly, it boils down to you knowing your child best. "Yes," kids have been able to tour WDW in years past sans stroller as young as 4...but let's face it, times they are a changing. The parks are bigger, there's more to see and do, and there's now a sea of people to swim thru.

Here's what we did on our last trip:
-Rented a double stroller for our DD's, 7 and almost 4 y.o. at the time (June 2013). More often than not, our DD4 really needed the stroller, as she could not keep up our go-go pace & took a mid-day snooze. DD7 on the other hand, really only used the stroller to watch parades and shows from, to get from spot A to spot B faster than her little legs could take her, and to have a portable bench. DD7 is not lazy by any means and is an athletic child...it's just that my DH and I like to tour the parks a certain way, which we've since adapted when our children came along. We knew that she'd need a spot to fall back on, so why not make it moveable?

Here's what we're doing for our upcoming Feb. 2014 trip:
-Renting a single stroller for DD4, because DD7 will be 2 weeks shy of her 8th birthday, and enough is enough with the double for us. I'll be renting a stroller online, and it will be big enough to accommodate the older child should she need a spot to rest for a moment or two. I foresee another change in our touring habits though...more benches or places to rest for a few. I have been conditioning DD7 for all the walking she'll be doing by incorporating even more exercise into her routine (i.e. parking farther away from the grocery store, more outdoor play after school, and will add in a 1-2 mile walk on weekends). DD7 should be able to handle the touring, but we have alternatives if she can't.

Might I suggest possibly renting a single stroller when touring MK or EP if you're at all worried at how she'll handle the added walking? AK and DHS are definitely doable sans stroller.
Be forewarned though: the rental strollers from Disney are made of a hard, durable plastic and cost $15/day or $13/day for multiple days...if you do the single day rental, but plan on park hopping, save your receipt and present it at the next park you're visiting so you don't have to pay again!

Pace yourselves, take a snack/drink break between meal times, keep your meal times consistent with what you have at home, and don't underestimate an empty bench in the shade!

Based on the dates of your trip, you'll be moving at a slower pace anyways due to crowd levels...send the older child and DH ahead to grab FP's (if you haven't already scheduled ones <sighs heavily>), have a kung-fu grip on your child when navigating thru the larger crowds, tour early, take a mid-day siesta, and know your child's "I've had enough" signals!

Long of the short of it, you know yourselves and child best! Happy travels!

Upvote 0

journ116

Oooh, forgot to add: hopefully my oldest will actually be tired at the end of the day! Fingers crossed! No more yelling at the girls to, "Get to bed!" because all that fresh air and walking will theoretically tire her out. However, I'll have to keep a normal bedtime routine if I want to stave off complete meltdowns...more to think over...

Upvote 0

MerMom1981

One more for team"no"

We brought 2 umbrella strollers for our kids (2 & 4) and they made more problems than they solved. You can't go more than 5 feet without ending up in a traffic jam of strollers.
You can't really bring them where you want to go. Especially in Future World. We ended up shuffling them from one parking area to another while the kids mostly walked.

No strollers for us next time. We've done a few days at six flags on foot and the kids have done great. Sure, it's a lot of walking, but they're in an amusement park! They're having fun & we move at their pace.

Don't be seduced by storage. No sstrollers!!!

Upvote 0

Much-Pixie-Dust

We always start a walking routine about 3-4 months prior to the trip. We will walk several miles (3-6) at least 3-4 times a week during this time. As a result, no stroller is needed. Is she tired? Yes, but so am I at the end of a Disney day. We have had this strategy since she was 4 and it's worked well. IMO if a child is a typically developing child, then no stroller is needed for a 7 year old. Plus, at age 7, my child would be mortified if she ran into somebody she knew and she was in a stroller. (Yes, we have bumped into people from school on a trip that is over 1000 miles from home). If the child is too tired, then it's time to go back to the hotel and come back later. We also have a down day every 3rd day at Disney to re-energize and that helps. I carry a backpack for misc. items.

Upvote 0

TinkerbellWDW

Original Poster
Were going to WDW from 12/30-1/6 with my 14 yr old son and 7yr old daughter. My sister and her family are also going and bringing their 15yr old son and 6 yr old grandson. She has asked me if I was doing the stroller rental (multi day) for my daughter (7) and I had said I wasn't planning on it. She thought I was crazy for "making her walk" her words. I explained it was an expense to spend the $78 to rent a stroller. She said she was getting one for her grandson (6) it was a "non-negotiable" for her. She went on to say "Poor (daughters name) I can't believe your making her walk she is going to be exhausted, not to mention all the people that are going to be there, do you need help paying for one?" First of all how RUDE!!! Does anybody think I need a stroller or maybe she needs to mind her own buisness???

Upvote 0

Nemo14

So I assume you changed your mind from when you posted this 2 weeks ago?

Upvote 0

Disvillain63

Haven't used a stroller at WDW since DD was 3 years old...and we've been at least once a year since then. She barely used it at 3 and we decided it wasn't worth it. We stopped carrying the 'stuff' in with us. Makes it a lot easier to go through the gates, since we don't have bag check...btw, she's 23 now.

DIL and son tried to use one on our recent trip for their almost 1-year old...by the end of the week, they had completely downsized what they were carrying in to almost nothing but the umbrella stroller that we had brought with us and a couple of diapers/wipes. GS was eating and drinking what everyone else was eating and drinking...made it so much easier. Packages were sent to the resort.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

Let me preface this by saying...you know your child best. If you feel it's necessary based on your child, then maybe it is and maybe it could make for a better trip.

We just had our first stroller free trip. My older child is 7...and she's tiny...like the size of a large 4 yr old tiny. My younger one is 4 ( close to 5) and very slender. While we had a few end of the night moments where they were tired, they did just fine being stroller free. Now not every kid cares, but my 7 year old was mortified at the mere thought that we might put her in a stroller and she barely used it when we went with her at age 6. Like I said- just my child's thoughts, but it is important to note how a stroller is perceived by some 7 yr olds. Up until this trip- we'd rent a City Mini Double and were very happy, but it's quite liberating to be officially stroller free and probably quite feasible if it's a 7yr old child.

Upvote 0

zero creativity

We brought our stroller when our son was 2 and a half and our daughter was 5. She barely used it and he was in it a lot. When we went two years later he was 4 and she was 7 we didn't bring it. I do not think we could have kept him in it if we wanted to. I usually carry a backpack with everything we need.

Upvote 0

jlsHouston

Well believe it or not I have a stroller story....which my youngest was 5 the first time we visited DL and it was the 80's and in the 80's 5 year olds walked.... however came to WDW first in 2011 and my daughter rented a stroller every single visit for the 2 kids..they started at 4 &6, they are now at 7 & 8 almost 9. This past summer my daughter did not come with us for our trip to WDW instead an old friend who is in my age group who has adopted a 4 year old came with us. The first thing my daughter told me, was you know you are going to have to rent a stroller for the 4 year old mom, and then Jayce (DGS7) will want to ride in one too....well I told her she was crazy...
What I discovered after 4 days was it was worth 40 bucks to go to Target and get a stroller for that 4 year old because it did give us some ease of movement and it cut the meltdowns completely out...my DGS did experience the parks for the first time WITHOUT any stroller and he did great. And he is a short chunk with short legs but he kept up....
I am on the team that says do what you think is best for your child and the way you like to see the parks.

Upvote 0

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
At 5 years old that was almost the end of life in a stroller. We did a 2 week trip and she was tired by the afternoon and I rented one for the World Showcase one of our last days, she was very tiny for 5. That was the last stroller for us. She would have been mortified if I put her in a stroller at 7.

Upvote 0

ExtinctJenn

Whats wrong with that? I always see strollers lined up along the parade route. If I'm going through the expense of renting a stroller I will use it for varies things.
Unless you you mean you have your husband (or whatever) AND the stroller sitting in the spot to ensure when you take your child to the restroom and come back they still have room to sit with the family, I'd think doing this is a slight bit unfair. Renting a stroller and using it so you don't have to wait along the parade route in order to ensure a good viewing area is sort of a long the same lines of renting a wheelchair (or a handicapped person) so you don't have to wait in line wouldn't you think? Not meaning to offend but yuck! If I couldn't find a place to sit along the parade route and came to a spot with some strollers parked but no one who claimed they were theirs, I'd have to point that out to a CM and I'd betcha they'd be moved.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom