Streaming The Magic - Facebook Page

Kobe!!

Original Poster
What is the deal with this Facebook page that they are constantly asking for "donations" for them to go to the park and stream their day among other things.

Is it just me or does this not seem right? Maybe I'm not understanding something but I've never seen this before. Any clarification would be appreciated.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
What is the deal with this Facebook page that they are constantly asking for "donations" for them to go to the park and stream their day among other things.

Is it just me or does this not seem right? Maybe I'm not understanding something but I've never seen this before. Any clarification would be appreciated.

There have been a number of discussions about this sort of things recently, so this thread could go some bad places...

Live streaming from the parks has been a thing for a few years now. Besides Streaming the Magic there are a number of YouTube channels that do this. Personally I really enjoy these streams. Let's you virtually visit the parks when you can't visit in person. Giving them a donation is a way to support what they do.

JIMINYCR

Well theyve found a way to get money freely handed over to them and theres no pressure to give. There certainly is IMHO better places to donate to. And you can see in some cases guests who tune in also send these so called park reporters packages in the mail with Disney gift cards, souvenirs and assorted trinkets. They really make off with a nice haul.

wdwfan22

It’s modern day begging. You don’t have stand on the corner anymore, you can just steam your visit to theme parks and idiots will hand over their money. More power to them. if people are willing to pay to watch a live steam then let them. I personally would never give a dime but then again I don’t find entertainment value in watching someone hangout in a theme park

Kobe!!

Original Poster
There have been a number of discussions about this sort of things recently, so this thread could go some bad places...

Live streaming from the parks has been a thing for a few years now. Besides Streaming the Magic there are a number of YouTube channels that do this. Personally I really enjoy these streams. Let's you virtually visit the parks when you can't visit in person. Giving them a donation is a way to support what they do.
Let the thread go wild, I kinda figured it would. I think it's a cool feature to have and do on their platforms but to basically ask for it in almost every post I feel is a little out of line. I'm not opposed to donating ever, but for someone to (as I will call in this situation) "take advantage of people" seems a bit odd to me. But that's just my $.02.
These "donations" basically pay for their annual passes every year and then some. Oh I'm sure. They are smart for doing it but at the same time I guess I'm not a fan of it. haha
Well theyve found a way to get money freely handed over to them and theres no pressure to give. There certainly is IMHO better places to donate to. And you can see in some cases guests who tune in also send these so called park reporters packages in the mail with Disney gift cards, souvenirs and assorted trinkets. They really make off with a nice haul.
Yes you are correct, I have seen and heard of this as well. This is kinda a better way if you ask me but I guess I would call it "weird." haha
It’s modern day begging. You don’t have stand on the corner anymore, you can just steam your visit to theme parks and idiots will hand over their money. More power to them. if people are willing to pay to watch a live steam then let them. I personally would never give a dime but then again I don’t find entertainment value in watching someone hangout in a theme park
I feel you.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Let the thread go wild, I kinda figured it would. I think it's a cool feature to have and do on their platforms but to basically ask for it in almost every post I feel is a little out of line. I'm not opposed to donating ever, but for someone to (as I will call in this situation) "take advantage of people" seems a bit odd to me. But that's just my $.02.

How exactly are these streamers taking advantage of people? They are producing content that people enjoy, people are paying them for doing it.

wdwfan22

How exactly are these streamers taking advantage of people? They are producing content that people enjoy, people are paying them for doing it.
Producing content. Walking around a theme park streaming there day isn’t producing content. Reading the current news happening isn’t either. I guess everyone views content differently.

Gringrinngghost

So, I want to add my two cents in to this.

A little background for those who don't know. Firstly, I stream the parks when I go with my first in park produced stream dating July, 2013. Secondly, I've been live streaming come August 28th, twelve years. Thirdly, I've streaming on varying platforms: Ustream, JustinTV, Twitch, Youtube, Persicope, and Facebook Live. Fourthly, I have had several very successful streams, with numbers that most youtubers would love to have. Lastly, there are going to be times where I won't speak about certain metrics but I will bring in older metrics of mine from other platforms. I choose not to speak about more of the modern ,metrics as it would be improper to disclose in such a venue, inappropriate, possibility violate terms of services I have agreed to and I don't think majority of you would like it if I went and asked you how much you make from your separate income streams.

Firstly, to get it out of the bag. When I stream from the parks, I have the options available for those to donate. I have an automated message that does show up in the chat at a timed interval to let those know if they would like to they can. To get to the point bluntly, I don't have subpoena power, everyone who donates does so in a voluntarily approach. To expand on it in a more detailed approach, the message I have on my channel that is run by a bot that I wrote out. The message simply says "You can support the stream in a variety of ways. You can support us via the Youtube Superchat, Streamlabs, Pateron, and Paypal. Check the description for more!" Outside side of that the only time I would acknowledge the ability to do so is when I make a joke in jest, (which has backfired on myself before). There has been in my case, one instance when I've done anything that has sought after funding for my channel, and that was when I was upgrading my computer back to a desktop, and that was partly due to the bad timing amid issues in the tech global manufacturer sector, but the goal was purely to help offset the costs of the upgrade with anyone who did contribute was personally told by myself exactly where that money went to for full transparency. Outside of that, I take it solely from the approach of "If you want to donate, cool. Thank you for supporting the stream. If not, then sit back and enjoy the ride."

I have an inactive Patron page on Pateron that I don't actively advertise, nor do I have any form of Online merchandise store that is tied directly to my channel. There are other channels that will open online stores at around 1,000 subscribers. In my case. some might call it bad marketing, bad business etc. I just don't seek to at this point compromise my entire conviction and comportment in the pursuit of a payoff. If I wanted to compromise them, I would have accepted those sponsorship emails I get. When it comes to something like sponsorship and a merchandise store. Those who I've talked to, we've talked ad nauseam to my feelings toward this. The short answer is that if I’m going to give basically a tantamount endorsement, I want to stand by a product. The Long answer more so is: If I am sponsored by someone for a product or service and a viewer uses the service and is displeased, they can approach me and ask “why did you decided to be advertise them” and quite personally I would rather stand by a product especially when I give it my endorsement which is essentially saying, I stand by their service and will gladly put myself as a ad hoc representative of their product/service. For a merchandise store, its just that I would rather want to have something that can be put to use outside of a t-shirt or mug before I do anything.

Alas, I have seen in the content creator world a lot of scummy actions and some that do rub me the wrong way, and many of them are soley in the realm of compromising their entire conviction and comportment in the pursuit of a payoff. Here's two examples that I have personally outed.

One apologized for doing it, and had ceased the actions, and the other last I heard was acting like an over at the Swan and Dolphin around the time that they closed for COVID-19, whom seemed to take off after a few apparent strategic partnerships that has fizzled out. Mind you this person to my understanding mind you it could have been hearsay, but they did quit their job to peruse this as their full time job. But I digress.

When it comes to what my channel is, I will be the first to say that I sell escapism, as do many live streamers however, I don't think that we should try to seek donations unless we are doing a charity event, such as an event for Give Kids the World, but I can speak from the other side of the coin as well, that I have donated to streamers that I watch, because I like their content. All of this is voluntarily done.

Now when it comes out to "constantly asking for "donations" to go to the parks." That's something I am against. One of the things I tell those who want to get into 'the game, if you are going into a very public field such as this, you want the the end of the day viewers who like you for you, not for what you do or who you associate with." I also tell them to do their own thing, and not to follow any set mold. When I hammer in the point of "you want the the end of the day viewers who like you for you, not for what you do or who you associate with." I tell them that at first (before something like the youtube partnership), Its not going to be profitable, but when it does, you shouldn't get greedy, all good things from to those who wait. Donations, when they come in are usually far and few between but you can see it as a validation of doing something right, being you. But there are those who will compromise their entire conviction and comportment in the pursuit of a payoff. Those people are a certain Patrick Spikes. Here was the case of someone trying to get seen and make a name for themself. If Patrick Spikes didn’t want to be seen and have people talking about him, to say the least, he wouldn’t act cocky and have people “meme his mugshot” he wanted his limelight and he got it, and then tired to make an name for himself. My stance on vloggers are really the same, All it is, to me, is authorized voyeurism, and if I wanted to be spied on day in and day out. I’ll just start a 24/7 cam in my bedroom.

As I digressed, going back to my thought and how some constantly ask "for "donations" to go to the parks." Yeah, thats a big nope. All they really are at the core of it is a greater fool. The greater fool is an economic term. It’s a patsy. For the rest of us to profit, we need a greater fool—someone who will buy long and sell short. Most people spend their life trying not to be the greater fool; we toss him the hot potato, we dive for his seat when the music stops. The greater fool is someone with the perfect blend of self-delusion and ego to think that he can succeed where others have failed. That being said, I have seen donation trains where people try to one up one another and I do think people try this. But some like to make it a game to see who has the bigger pockets. I have also seen those who have kept running talies in their chat on how much they make an evening and that's just a big NO. That's not something you should do.

To conclude and to mash two comments into one, "They are producing content that people enjoy, people are paying them for doing it." and "Producing content. Walking around a theme park streaming there day isn’t producing content. Reading the current news happening isn’t either. I guess everyone views content differently." It is content. They are producing content and some find it enjoyable. Its as much content to someone who watches the Resort Television loops at home to relive the magic. Ironically to say that "Walking around a theme park streaming there day isn’t producing content." is like saying there is no content in live streaming the moon during a lunar eclipse (The latter I had done back in 2011 and had the video feed picked up by NASA which was my most viewed broadcast to date and will never be topped). Things have changed over the years for streaming and it's really now more profitable then ever (sans COVID-19 issues). I can tell you the time of the my stream of the moon being picked up by NASA, but to surmise it, I had peaked at 179,000 concurrent viewers back at the early ages of live internet streaming and that was a one time payment of about $215. Now-a-days with more advertising, that would easily be a multi-thousand dollar pay in the current landscape, all from pointing a camera at the moon.

So yes, Walking around a theme park streaming there day is producing content, as much so as The Tim Tracker and all the other vloggers filming their day, to my pointing a camera at the moon. Take it as it is, but I am against trying to pity someone for their money. I think they need to just cool it down on trying to make donation trains.

Sorry for the length as well, just wanted to clear my mind.

The Mom

Premium Member
I've lived long enough to know that there are infinite ways to waste money by purchasing things that, IMO, are worthless. As long as the person doing so is not harming me, or anyone else, it's their money, their choice.

I'm sure I spend money on things that many of you would also deem worthless - but if that makes me happy, and I'm not harming you or anyone else, it really doesn't matter.

I personally would not give a penny to these bloggers and streamers, but that's my choice. However, if I did appreciate their content, I would also not have a problem giving them money to make sure their site continues. Internet platforms cost money to run, and I will contribute to those that I frequent. Which is pretty much only this one. ;)

Elfinko

Got people pulling in millions to stream video games on line. Not sure why this would exactly shock anyone. It's not particularly easy to build a solid viewership that turns a profit doing these things.

This threatens the unwritten fair use doctrine where Disney looks the other way while we make video for non-commercial use. If you are collecting money while doing this that is not non-commercial use. Any money should be made on the back end through ads. I would also note Disney's right to use your image while in the park DOES NOT extent to someone else and you might possibly be violating people's right to privacy - Disney is not public space so I think there is a legal question as well.

chretts

I was wondering if some of you realize there are teenagers making 6 figures A MONTH doing nothing but letting people watch them play video games on-line?

I sometimes think some of you don't realize just how varied peoples interests are and just how many people are out there.

I enjoy watching the steams usually and there's a couple I go back to regulary (an all day stream on a rainy day) and let it play in the background.

Never gave anyone any money but it's because I'm cheap.

NelleBelle

This threatens the unwritten fair use doctrine where Disney looks the other way while we make video for non-commercial use. If you are collecting money while doing this that is not non-commercial use. Any money should be made on the back end through ads. I would also note Disney's right to use your image while in the park DOES NOT extent to someone else and you might possibly be violating people's right to privacy - Disney is not public space so I think there is a legal question as well.
I'm sure Disney "looks" to other way because it is free advertising for them. Unlike when you have etsy storefronts selling "Disney-inspired" goods where Disney has no control over what comes out of those stores and sends blanket C&D letters before shutting all the storefronts down, they've been known to send vloggers on cruises, trips to DLR, Aulani, etc for the "free" advertising it gives them. I know some vloggers do try to keep the background park-goers out of focus as much as possible, but I'm not sure how much legal recourse one would have if you tried to sue any of the vloggers.

Kobe!!

Original Poster
Producing content. Walking around a theme park streaming there day isn’t producing content. Reading the current news happening isn’t either. I guess everyone views content differently.
Right?
So, I want to add my two cents in to this.

A little background for those who don't know. Firstly, I stream the parks when I go with my first in park produced stream dating July, 2013. Secondly, I've been live streaming come August 28th, twelve years. Thirdly, I've streaming on varying platforms: Ustream, JustinTV, Twitch, Youtube, Persicope, and Facebook Live. Fourthly, I have had several very successful streams, with numbers that most youtubers would love to have. Lastly, there are going to be times where I won't speak about certain metrics but I will bring in older metrics of mine from other platforms. I choose not to speak about more of the modern ,metrics as it would be improper to disclose in such a venue, inappropriate, possibility violate terms of services I have agreed to and I don't think majority of you would like it if I went and asked you how much you make from your separate income streams.

Firstly, to get it out of the bag. When I stream from the parks, I have the options available for those to donate. I have an automated message that does show up in the chat at a timed interval to let those know if they would like to they can. To get to the point bluntly, I don't have subpoena power, everyone who donates does so in a voluntarily approach. To expand on it in a more detailed approach, the message I have on my channel that is run by a bot that I wrote out. The message simply says "You can support the stream in a variety of ways. You can support us via the Youtube Superchat, Streamlabs, Pateron, and Paypal. Check the description for more!" Outside side of that the only time I would acknowledge the ability to do so is when I make a joke in jest, (which has backfired on myself before). There has been in my case, one instance when I've done anything that has sought after funding for my channel, and that was when I was upgrading my computer back to a desktop, and that was partly due to the bad timing amid issues in the tech global manufacturer sector, but the goal was purely to help offset the costs of the upgrade with anyone who did contribute was personally told by myself exactly where that money went to for full transparency. Outside of that, I take it solely from the approach of "If you want to donate, cool. Thank you for supporting the stream. If not, then sit back and enjoy the ride."

I have an inactive Patron page on Pateron that I don't actively advertise, nor do I have any form of Online merchandise store that is tied directly to my channel. There are other channels that will open online stores at around 1,000 subscribers. In my case. some might call it bad marketing, bad business etc. I just don't seek to at this point compromise my entire conviction and comportment in the pursuit of a payoff. If I wanted to compromise them, I would have accepted those sponsorship emails I get. When it comes to something like sponsorship and a merchandise store. Those who I've talked to, we've talked ad nauseam to my feelings toward this. The short answer is that if I’m going to give basically a tantamount endorsement, I want to stand by a product. The Long answer more so is: If I am sponsored by someone for a product or service and a viewer uses the service and is displeased, they can approach me and ask “why did you decided to be advertise them” and quite personally I would rather stand by a product especially when I give it my endorsement which is essentially saying, I stand by their service and will gladly put myself as a ad hoc representative of their product/service. For a merchandise store, its just that I would rather want to have something that can be put to use outside of a t-shirt or mug before I do anything.

Alas, I have seen in the content creator world a lot of scummy actions and some that do rub me the wrong way, and many of them are soley in the realm of compromising their entire conviction and comportment in the pursuit of a payoff. Here's two examples that I have personally outed.

One apologized for doing it, and had ceased the actions, and the other last I heard was acting like an *** over at the Swan and Dolphin around the time that they closed for COVID-19, whom seemed to take off after a few apparent strategic partnerships that has fizzled out. Mind you this person to my understanding mind you it could have been hearsay, but they did quit their job to peruse this as their full time job. But I digress.

When it comes to what my channel is, I will be the first to say that I sell escapism, as do many live streamers however, I don't think that we should try to seek donations unless we are doing a charity event, such as an event for Give Kids the World, but I can speak from the other side of the coin as well, that I have donated to streamers that I watch, because I like their content. All of this is voluntarily done.

Now when it comes out to "constantly asking for "donations" to go to the parks." That's something I am against. One of the things I tell those who want to get into 'the game, if you are going into a very public field such as this, you want the the end of the day viewers who like you for you, not for what you do or who you associate with." I also tell them to do their own thing, and not to follow any set mold. When I hammer in the point of "you want the the end of the day viewers who like you for you, not for what you do or who you associate with." I tell them that at first (before something like the youtube partnership), Its not going to be profitable, but when it does, you shouldn't get greedy, all good things from to those who wait. Donations, when they come in are usually far and few between but you can see it as a validation of doing something right, being you. But there are those who will compromise their entire conviction and comportment in the pursuit of a payoff. Those people are a certain Patrick Spikes. Here was the case of someone trying to get seen and make a name for themself. If Patrick Spikes didn’t want to be seen and have people talking about him, to say the least, he wouldn’t act cocky and have people “meme his mugshot” he wanted his limelight and he got it, and then tired to make an name for himself. My stance on vloggers are really the same, All it is, to me, is authorized voyeurism, and if I wanted to be spied on day in and day out. I’ll just start a 24/7 cam in my bedroom.

As I digressed, going back to my thought and how some constantly ask "for "donations" to go to the parks." Yeah, thats a big nope. All they really are at the core of it is a greater fool. The greater fool is an economic term. It’s a patsy. For the rest of us to profit, we need a greater fool—someone who will buy long and sell short. Most people spend their life trying not to be the greater fool; we toss him the hot potato, we dive for his seat when the music stops. The greater fool is someone with the perfect blend of self-delusion and ego to think that he can succeed where others have failed. That being said, I have seen donation trains where people try to one up one another and I do think people try this. But some like to make it a game to see who has the bigger pockets. I have also seen those who have kept running talies in their chat on how much they make an evening and that's just a big NO. That's not something you should do.

To conclude and to mash two comments into one, "They are producing content that people enjoy, people are paying them for doing it." and "Producing content. Walking around a theme park streaming there day isn’t producing content. Reading the current news happening isn’t either. I guess everyone views content differently." It is content. They are producing content and some find it enjoyable. Its as much content to someone who watches the Resort Television loops at home to relive the magic. Ironically to say that "Walking around a theme park streaming there day isn’t producing content." is like saying there is no content in live streaming the moon during a lunar eclipse (The latter I had done back in 2011 and had the video feed picked up by NASA which was my most viewed broadcast to date and will never be topped). Things have changed over the years for streaming and it's really now more profitable then ever (sans COVID-19 issues). I can tell you the time of the my stream of the moon being picked up by NASA, but to surmise it, I had peaked at 179,000 concurrent viewers back at the early ages of live internet streaming and that was a one time payment of about $215. Now-a-days with more advertising, that would easily be a multi-thousand dollar pay in the current landscape, all from pointing a camera at the moon.

So yes, Walking around a theme park streaming there day is producing content, as much so as The Tim Tracker and all the other vloggers filming their day, to my pointing a camera at the moon. Take it as it is, but I am against trying to pity someone for their money. I think they need to just cool it down on trying to make donation trains.

Sorry for the length as well, just wanted to clear my mind.
You know, I briefly saw this long essay of a post of yours a few days ago and wanted to actually read it and reply accordingly. However, I'll be honest. As I am writing this, I still did not read 80% of what you wrote. As for the 20% I did read, I feel you went off on something totally from left field and you said a lot more then you should have. Smh.
Ooo another thread on YouTube .

If only this site had a search function 🤔
Hopefully they get one soon! ;)
I've lived long enough to know that there are infinite ways to waste money by purchasing things that, IMO, are worthless. As long as the person doing so is not harming me, or anyone else, it's their money, their choice.

I'm sure I spend money on things that many of you would also deem worthless - but if that makes me happy, and I'm not harming you or anyone else, it really doesn't matter.

I personally would not give a penny to these bloggers and streamers, but that's my choice. However, if I did appreciate their content, I would also not have a problem giving them money to make sure their site continues. Internet platforms cost money to run, and I will contribute to those that I frequent. Which is pretty much only this one. ;)
This post pretty much sums up how I feel as well. It does not harm me or anything like that but I think it's a bit rude to ask for people to donate.
haha I swear there has to be at least a dozen or more WDW vloggers on Youtube who post content everyday while asking for money.
Nice!
Got people pulling in millions to stream video games on line. Not sure why this would exactly shock anyone. It's not particularly easy to build a solid viewership that turns a profit doing these things.
Yes and no but agree to disagree.
mhmmm
I was wondering if some of you realize there are teenagers making 6 figures A MONTH doing nothing but letting people watch them play video games on-line?

I sometimes think some of you don't realize just how varied peoples interests are and just how many people are out there.

I enjoy watching the steams usually and there's a couple I go back to regulary (an all day stream on a rainy day) and let it play in the background.

Never gave anyone any money but it's because I'm cheap.
Yep.
I'm sure Disney "looks" to other way because it is free advertising for them. Unlike when you have etsy storefronts selling "Disney-inspired" goods where Disney has no control over what comes out of those stores and sends blanket C&D letters before shutting all the storefronts down, they've been known to send vloggers on cruises, trips to DLR, Aulani, etc for the "free" advertising it gives them. I know some vloggers do try to keep the background park-goers out of focus as much as possible, but I'm not sure how much legal recourse one would have if you tried to sue any of the vloggers.
Yup.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom