'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

brb1006

Revisting this thread after a week of absence then noticing it's over 88 pages

krusty-krab-mr-krab.gif

Noticing it's mostly debating on Disney's gay representation in their animated films and box office results and barely about the film itself.
awkward-back-away.gif

I really hope the thread for Disney's "Wish" (honoring the company's 100th anniversary) doesn't end up like this next year.
FcQW9sNXoAIJnGQ.jpg:large

Mom and @wdwmagic deserve a drink this Christmas.
pour-drink.gif

Last edited:

Prince-1

..written as though they were facts. Typically, if you're posting something as a fact, it's helpful to link to a source in support of statements like these so we can all understand.

The standard MO is that when someone is asked to provide some proof of something that they wrote that seems dubious at best, they reply something to the effect of, “I assume you can do your own research.”

Prince-1

I know it was mentioned before but all this discussion seems tangential to the Occam's Razor of it all.

Disney did not market this film well to a broad audience.
So few went to see it.
It did not get good enough word of mouth from those that did
So anyone remotely interested will likely wait for Disney+

The End.

Wait, you‘re saying that the movie failing WASN’T because of the gay character in it??? Now I’m totally confused.

TP2000

Good point about Annette....I loved Miley but she loves to throw blame on Disney and especially her father whenever she gets the chance.

Miley devolved in to a real mess, the poor dear. But her blaming everyone/anyone but herself for that is not exclusive to Miley. Most young folks today have a quick laundry list of blame they will air publicly to anyone who will listen, and it never seems to include their own decision making. :rolleyes:

It is a pity though that Annette never got as quality a script as Hayley did during their time at Disney. Babes in Toyland being the worst of the bunch although it has a certain charm.

Agreed. Annette by the early 1960's was married, and in several of her mid 1960's beach party films she didn't wear a swimsuit at all because she was pregnant with her first children. She focused on motherhood as the 1960's rolled along without her.

Then came her Skippy peanut butter commercials in the 1970's, which are why I still buy Skippy! 🤣

jeangreyforever

What did you google (assuming you use Google) to get Focus on the Family as the first result?

Again, it's statements like these, which are opinions and conclusions:
I googled "hunchback of notre dame parent reviews." The Focus on the Family was the first result for me with Google adding this bit as the opening heading.
Much too grim and sexually preoccupied for small children, The Hunchback of Notre Dame has intentionally tested the boundaries of traditional Disney fare with its adaptation of Victor Hugo's gothic novel. A dark, sultry side makes Quasimodo's story only quasi-appropriate for youngsters.

Most of the stuff I said is stuff anyone can find on the Internet with a quick Google search. Hayley Mills has spoken a lot about being a Disney star, including in her recent autobiography plus all the press she did for her autobiography. My comment on the Esmeralda design was based off of the Art of Hunchback book released in the 90s which I own. Much of that you can tell just from looking at the concept art and how it evolved for her character. There's a wonderful Hunchback blog I love which also has a post about Esmeralda's design and how it changed with Demi Moore's casting. https://www.thehunchblog.com/

Hunchback being a hit in Paris came from the audio commentary of the movie. It's at the very end during the end credits. Actually that interested me enough that I immediately looked it up on Google and found that the directors weren't just lying but it was in fact true. There were articles about how the movie really resonated in Paris despite Disney's concerns that they wouldn't find it authentic enough, and how a recent anti-Semitism incident made the moral of Hunchback more important than ever. Hunchback's popularity in Japan you frankly have to see for yourself by following their park and merchandise regularly. Esmeralda actually gets merchandise at the Disney Store in Japan unlike in America. I think Tokyo is the only park where she still semi-regularly comes out and interacts with people, since even Paris more or less retired her years ago (unless that's changed since I don't keep up with the Paris park). There are blog posts about the Tokyo park about how Esmeralda and Clopin actually were part of a parade there, I believe for Easter. I know there's definitely a video on YouTube which I saw long ago. Hunchback's musical being a hit in Berlin is something you can easily look up just from Wiki. There are articles from Stephen Schwartz and whoever was the head of Disney's theater department back in the 90s discussing what a massive hit Hunchback was as a show in Berlin, in a way it wasn't in the US hence why they didn't immediately make it into a musical to follow up Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King here. Disney not putting their logo on the American Hunchback musical is well documented as well and you just have to google search it for images. It was discussed heavily on Disney forums and social media when the musical came out about how Disney wasn't marketing it as one of their musicals like The Lion King or Aladdin. All the Miley and Jamie stuff is me going off of memory, but it's a Google search away as well from news reports from the time and media speculation. Literally all this information is out there and if anyone is interested enough in seeking it out, the onus should be on them to find it because it's not practical to go looking for dozens of links to back up every sentence I write.

BuddyThomas

It will take longer to read this thread than to watch the movie.
That’s because a whole bunch of people who have not seen the movie and have no intention of seeing the movie have all concluded that they are authorities on the movie and they can’t stop posting about the movie and declaring that the movie looks awful and is inappropriate for the precious little children even though the have not seen the movie.

jeangreyforever

Miley devolved in to a real mess, the poor dear. But her blaming everyone/anyone but herself for that is not exclusive to Miley. Most young folks today have a quick laundry list of blame they will air publicly to anyone who will listen, and it never seems to include their own decision making. :rolleyes:

Agreed. Annette by the early 1960's was married, and in several of her mid 1960's beach party films she didn't wear a swimsuit at all because she was pregnant with her first children. She focused on motherhood as the 1960's rolled along without her.

Then came her Skippy peanut butter commercials in the 1970's, which are why I still buy Skippy! 🤣
I'm technically Gen Z but I loathe most of my generation for all the things you just said. There used to be a time when it was considered moral and dignified to keep your head held up high, not openly badmouth and bite the hand that feeds you, and not enjoy playing a perpetual victim. I keep thinking of that Rachel Zegler and how she attacked Disney for not giving her an invite to the Oscars and of course how Disney immediately caved in because of the Twitter mob. Goodness, this generation has learned that opening your mouth to throw a public tantrum yields quick and easy results.

I didn't realize Annette was married so young and even pregnant while she was making those movies. I do think it's funny that Walt or at least someone at the Disney company did snark about those beach party movies in Hayley Mills' The Darn Cat although instead of beach party movies, it's surfing movies that Hayley is sick of seeing. The parallel seemed clear though. I'll have to look up her Skippy commercials, but I can't imagine they'll top Ann Miller in her Great American Soup commercial!

BuddyThomas

I'm technically Gen Z but I loathe most of my generation for all the things you just said. There used to be a time when it was considered moral and dignified to keep your head held up high, not openly badmouth and bite the hand that feeds you, and not enjoy playing a perpetual victim. I keep thinking of that Rachel Zegler and how she attacked Disney for not giving her an invite to the Oscars and of course how Disney immediately caved in because of the Twitter mob. Goodness, this generation has learned that opening your mouth to throw a public tantrum yields quick and easy results.

I didn't realize Annette was married so young and even pregnant while she was making those movies. I do think it's funny that Walt or at least someone at the Disney company did snark about those beach party movies in Hayley Mills' The Darn Cat although instead of beach party movies, it's surfing movies that Hayley is sick of seeing. The parallel seemed clear though. I'll have to look up her Skippy commercials, but I can't imagine they'll top Ann Miller in her Great American Soup commercial!
Someone from “Gen Z” knows who Haley Mills and Ann Miller were? That seems………..interesting……or something.

LittleBuford

It's just one piece of the Strange World puzzle and its disastrous box office.
It’s telling that you keep describing it as a puzzle yet are disproportionately focused on issues of homosexuality. Everything seems to come back to that one theme for you. If it is a puzzle, there seems to be only one piece that you’re interested in discussing.

TP2000

I didn't realize Annette was married so young and even pregnant while she was making those movies.

I'm not a total expert on the beach movies, I only have hazy memories of them from my youth. But I now have them on DVD and would play them at the family beach house for my young nephews years ago. They're perfect for summer movie nights! But I just Googled, and Annette was pregnant in 1965 for filming of How To Stuff A Wild Bikini, and rather obviously Annette was the only girl to not wear a bikini for that one! She wore capri pants and blousey tops for the entire movie.

how-to-stuff-a-wild-bikini-original-mexican-lobby-card-annette-funicello-e1438242930819.jpg

I'll have to look up her Skippy commercials, but I can't imagine they'll top Ann Miller in her Great American Soup commercial!

I'll cut out the middle man and offer you this, because this thread deserves a little wholesome entertainment! 😁

Speaking of wholesome, I find it quite telling that we can't type the lyrics, or even the title, of Jaboukie's latest song in this thread without being wildly obscene and likely banned from this website for life. Nor do I feel comfortable linking to the music video, or even any of the industry media pieces that discussed his new song. :(

There had to be another option for the voice of Ethan Clade, but the Burbank execs hired him instead. Very interesting choice, to say the least.

Last edited:

TP2000

It’s telling that you keep describing it as a puzzle yet are disproportionately focused on issues of homosexuality. Everything seems to come back to that one theme for you. If it is a puzzle, there seems to be only one piece that you’re interested in discussing.

After much discussion here the past three weeks, I now consider it a loop of sorts.

The film was barely marketed. The film had Disney's first gay teen boy in it. The film was barely marketed.

There's a bunch of other angles to it within that loop. But it's almost a Chicken & The Egg scenario. It's really weird.

BuddyThomas

He also tells us multiple times that he is gay, and yet he is twisting himself into knots to complain over and over again about the gay content (5 minutes or less) in a movie he has told us he has not seen and will not see. Something is not adding up here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom