'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

Rich T

My review from the Disneyland Misc. Thread:

Strange World Thoughts…
(Mild Spoilers)

The first time I watched “Strange World,” all I could see and hear were the flaws. But having learned my lesson from “Encanto,” I did watch it a second time, hoping it would connect together better on a second viewing. And it did. It’s still got problems, but it’s not a bad film at all. Like Treasure Planet and Atlantis, it’s a fun adventure that could have been much better with one more rewrite.

The main problems: The dialogue is too “jokey” and very little of it is very funny, rendering all the characters a bit obnoxious until the third act. The pacing and editing are all over the place to the point where it’s jarring. There are major character development sequences that add little, and overly-frenetic action scenes that are hard to follow.

As other critics have pointed out, the movie is mainly about the Grandfather/Father/Son conflict, and-while the characters’ arcs are well done—it’s not enough to carry the whole film, and the side characters have no development at all.

And all through the first viewing, I kept asking myself “Who was this made for?” I LOVE this genre, I like the character designs, the cast is great… but, for me, the film is just “off”, missing the mark over and over throughout the first two acts.

It has multiple worthwhile messages it wants to convey about diversity, ecology, community, family and acceptance, but it just hammers viewers over the head (over and over) with these themes in the most obvious ways imaginable.

For instance, there’s Ethan’s board game that serves as a physical symbol of the movie’s main themes. It is the most BORING, preachy board game in the history of board games. It’s even more boring as a five minute scene that isn’t very funny and has very, very little payoff in the character development department. Its ecological message is another insulting hammer to the viewer’s head. And the line “that’s just poor storytelling” is very unwise for a scene that brings the film’s momentum to a screeching halt.

And, yes, the “big twist reveal” can be guessed within the first ten minutes, if you haven’t already gotten it from the trailers, though I have to admit that when the characters themselves *finally* realize the truth… it’s staged very well.

I actually liked Splat more than most critics did; he’s Magic-Carpet level on the sidekick scale. The dog, unfortunately, does nothing but act annoyingly stupid throughout.

As for the Elephant in the Room, I’ve got mixed feelings. In this particular movie, It does come across as showboating—but that’s probably because it’s the very first Disney film to focus attention on a gay main character and his love interest. On the plus side, it’s nice to see a world where a person’s orientation is treated as naturally and non-problematic as eye color (other animated films that previously did this include How to Train Your Dragon 2 & 3 and The Mitchells Vs. The Machines). On the negative side, there’s a hefty chunk of time devoted to a detail that adds nothing to the plot and little to Ethan’s character development. It’s not an orientation issue; If Ethan had been a heterosexual female character, the boyfriend element would still take up too much screen time considering how little it adds to the film. I think The Mitchells Vs. The Machines did a better job with this.

And while I love seeing more diverse characters in Disney films, I was mildly insulted that, while all the women on the adventure are portrayed as flawless, courageous and emotionally mature leader-figures, ALL the males, including the dog, are portrayed as immature goofballs. Every. Single. One. Except Ethan’s crush.

It’s already on Disney+, everyone! If you’ve seen it, what did you think?

I do think it’s going to be very interesting to see how this one ages over the years. I think it might gain a following through home viewing a la Treasure Planet and wind up considered an under-appreciated gem. Maybe?

Last edited:

BuddyThomas

My review from the Misc. Thread:

Strange World Thoughts…
(Mild Spoilers)

The first time I watched “Strange World,” all I could see and hear were the flaws. But having learned my lesson from “Encanto,” I did watch it a second time, hoping it would connect together better on a second viewing. And it did. It’s still got problems, but it’s not a bad film at all. Like Treasure Planet and Atlantis, it’s a fun adventure that could have been much better with one more rewrite.

The main problems: The dialogue is too “jokey” and very little of it is very funny, rendering all the characters a bit obnoxious until the third act. The pacing and editing are all over the place to the point where it’s jarring. There are major character development sequences that add little, and overly-frenetic action scenes that are hard to follow.

As other critics have pointed out, the movie is mainly about the Grandfather/Father/Son conflict, and-while the characters’ arcs are well done—it’s not enough to carry the whole film, and the side characters have no development at all.

And all through the first viewing, I kept asking myself “Who was this made for?” I LOVE this genre, I like the character designs, the cast is great… but, for me, the film is just “off”, missing the mark over and over throughout the first two acts.

It has multiple worthwhile messages it wants to convey about diversity, ecology, community, family and acceptance, but it just hammers viewers over the head (over and over) with these themes in the most obvious ways imaginable.

For instance, there’s Ethan’s board game that serves as a physical symbol of the movie’s main themes. It is the most BORING, preachy board game in the history of board games. It’s even more boring as a five minute scene that isn’t very funny and has very, very little payoff in the character development department. Its ecological message is another insulting hammer to the viewer’s head. And the line “that’s just poor storytelling” is very unwise for a scene that brings the film’s momentum to a screeching halt.

And, yes, the “big twist reveal” can be guessed within the first ten minutes, if you haven’t already gotten it from the trailers, though I have to admit that when the characters themselves *finally* realize the truth… it’s staged very well.

I actually liked Splat more than most critics did; he’s Magic-Carpet level on the sidekick scale. The dog, unfortunately, does nothing but act annoyingly stupid throughout.

As for the Elephant in the Room, I’ve got mixed feelings. In this particular movie, It does come across as showboating—but that’s probably because it’s the very first Disney film to focus attention on a gay main character and his love interest. On the plus side, it’s nice to see a world where a person’s orientation is treated as naturally and non-problematic as eye color (other animated films that previously did this include How to Train Your Dragon 2 & 3 and The Mitchells Vs. The Machines). On the negative side, there’s a hefty chunk of time devoted to a detail that adds nothing to the plot and little to Ethan’s character development. It’s not an orientation issue; If Ethan had been a heterosexual female character, the boyfriend element would still take up too much screen time considering how little it adds to the film. I think The Mitchells Vs. The Machines did a better job with this.

And while I love seeing more diverse characters in Disney films, I was mildly insulted that, while all the women on the adventure are portrayed as flawless, courageous and emotionally mature leader-figures, ALL the males, including the dog, are portrayed as immature goofballs. Every. Single. One. Except Ethan’s crush.

It’s already on Disney+, everyone! If you’ve seen it, what did you think?

I do think it’s going to be very interesting to see how this one ages over the years. I think it might gain a following through home viewing a la Treasure Planet and wind up considered an under-appreciated gem. Maybe?
Very detailed and thoughtful review. Thanks for posting.

Rich T

Finally sat down and watched it on D+ with the family. And....it was...okay.

I did not hate it like I thought I would based off the horrible reviews it was receiving. But it was just okay. I liked the world they were building, but none of the characters felt very real or interesting to me. Part of it was the horrible animation where everyone looks like cartoon blobs and not realistic people (a current trend for DIS which is annoying) so that the characters mostly fell flat. The mom was the most engaging character. The main character, Ethan?, was so bland. The only part of his personality that came through was his crush on another boy, which was much more pronounced than I at first thought. Say what you will, but I can totally understand parents of young children not wanting to have those conversations stirred up by the film. It is not blink and you will miss it but it was handled well. The ending was creative but predictable, and I am proud to say I guessed it based on the trailers alone. Not sure it was worth the price of admission though.

It just is further proof that Disney has lost its way. Lightyear, Turning Red, Soul, Raya, Luca...none of them are that amazing in my opinion (although I very much enjoyed Encanto). I am hopeful for Pixar's Elementals, the live action Little Mermaid, and Wish (a musical that promises an actual return to form with, not a twist villain, but an actual real classic Disney villain). So, here is to hoping....
Gotta disagree with you on the “horrible animation” part. It’s great animation—It’s the character designs you don’t like. Personally, I LOVE the character designs (I’m a big Asterix fan). I was glad to see them try a new, more cartoony look for the characters, though I think How to Train Your Dragon pulled off the cartoonishly-proportioned-people-rendered-realistically look more smoothly.

Last edited:

brb1006

I watched Moana today while packing up my millions of dollars worth of Disney Christmas ornaments and realized two things… Strange World and Moana tell a very similar story, Moana is a kid who’s father wants her to follow in his footsteps and she wants to chart her own course, all while saving the world, Moana just tells it in an infinitely better story… and despite buying a dozen new ornaments every year (and having over 200 at this point) none of them are from a Disney movie made after Moana in 2016, Pixar’s done much better and I have ornaments up to and including Luca on a Vespa from 2021.

Recent Disney characters haven’t connected like characters from a few years ago.
The last thing I had connection with Disney's recent characters was Zootopia.

LittleBuford

And, yes, the “big twist reveal” can be guessed within the first ten minutes
My partner and I didn’t guess it, so it came as a surprise to us.

while all the women on the adventure are portrayed as flawless, courageous and emotionally mature leader-figures, ALL the males, including the dog, are portrayed as immature goofballs. Every. Single. One. Except Ethan’s crush.
I disagree with this. The president certainly emerges as flawed when she orders the family to be locked in a cupboard. It’s one of the worst decisions in the whole movie, so much so that I momentarily thought that she was a twist villain.

Moreover, I’m surprised you think that Ethan and Searcher are portrayed as immature goofballs. Could you elaborate?

Rich T

My partner and I didn’t guess it, so it came as a surprise to us.

I disagree with this. The president certainly emerges as flawed when she orders the family to be locked in a cupboard. It’s one of the worst decisions in the whole movie, so much so that I momentarily thought that she was a twist villain.

Moreover, I’m surprised you think that Ethan and Searcher are portrayed as immature goofballs. Could you elaborate?
I’m glad the twist wasn’t spoiled for you. I think I guessed it from having grown up with “Fantastic Voyage” and being a fan of “Osmosis Jones.” :D

I agree that the president did a terrible thing with the storage closet lockup, but she thought it was the right thing at the time. Everyone makes mistakes. BTW, I hated that scene; it was really unpleasantly claustrophobic.

I used the term “goofball” to cover a wide range of clumsy, accident-prone, oblivious, constantly-saying-the-wrong-thing behavior. Ethan mostly gets a free pass because he’s a teenager, but he acts impulsively and puts everyone in danger. With Searcher, it’s his played-for-laughs paranoia and insecurity that keeps making him lash out at the exact wrong times. And a lot of it comes down to everyone’s dialogue, which I do think could have used some sharpening.

These were just my impressions after two viewings. Overall, I do like the movie.

LittleBuford

I’m glad the twist wasn’t spoiled for you. I think I guessed it from having grown up with “Fantastic Voyage” and being a fan of “Osmosis Jones.” :D

I agree that the president did a terrible thing with the storage closet lockup, but she thought it was the right thing at the time. Everyone makes mistakes. BTW, I hated that scene; it was really unpleasantly claustrophobic.

I used the term “goofball” to cover a wide range of clumsy, accident-prone, oblivious, constantly-saying-the-wrong-thing behavior. Ethan mostly gets a free pass because he’s a teenager, but he acts impulsively and puts everyone in danger. With Searcher, it’s his played-for-laughs paranoia and insecurity that keeps making him lash out at the exact wrong times. And a lot of it comes down to everyone’s dialogue, which I do think could have used some sharpening.

These were just my impressions after two viewings. Overall, I do like the movie.
Thanks! My impression of Searcher was quite different from yours—he came across as noble and well-meaning above anything else to me—but I appreciate your explanation.

RobWDW1971

Was SW really suppose to be an event film, not sure about that. I would add that yes in the post-2000s WDAS had event films, but that doesn't mean its going to be every year or forever.

Also for your couple examples of animated and family movies, there more that didn't bring in the box office this year.

Just to name a few that didn't clear $100M domestically:

DC: Super Pets
Lyle, Lyle Crocodile
Paws of Fury
So apparently a $180M budgeted Disney animated tentpole Thanksgiving release is now being compared to studio pick-ups and low rent live action/animated hybrids. The budget for Strange World was nearly the budget of all three of those films combined.

Thanks for proving my point. The lengths people will go to rationalize Disney's failures is something truly to behold.

"OK, the major tentpole Thanksgiving Disney release did half the global box office of Paw Patrol:The Movie and lost over $150M, but, but, but....it also did less than half of the global box/budget ratio of Paws of Fury!!!"

- DC Super-Pets: $90M budget, $204M global box office, 226% of budget

- Lyle, Lyle (hybrid live action/animated film): $50M budget, $88M, 176% of budget

- Paws of Fury: $45M, $42M 93% of budget

- Strange World: $180M budget estimated approx. $70M box office, 39% of budget

Are there any pathetically lower bars to which we can compare it?

"Oh, oh, it also did more than Bros' $14.8M global gross!!!"

Yes, yes it did. Congrats Disney, take your victory lap.

Last edited:

DisneyHead123

Also, a super random nitpick that is silly but still bugs me:

That turtle eye was not to scale at all! Presumably it should have been the size of a small state

So it doesn’t sound like I’m just picking on the movie, I’ll also say something positive: the early (in the movie) family interactions between Searcher, Meridian and Ethan were good. I think if they had focused the movie on just Ethan and his parents going on some kind of quest together, this would have been a pretty catchy story. You can only flesh out so many characters fully in a 100 minute film.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So apparently a $180M budgeted Disney animated tentpole Thanksgiving release is now being compared to studio pick-ups and low rent live action/animated hybrids.

Thanks for proving my point. The lengths people will go to rationalize Disney's failures is something truly to behold.

"OK, the major tentpole Thanksgiving Disney release did half the global box office of of Paw Patrol:The Movie and lost over $150M, but, but, but....it also did less than half of the global box/budget ratio of Paws of Fury!!!"

DC Super-Pets: $90M budget, $204M global box office, 226% of budget

Lyle, Lyle (hybrid live action/animated film): $50M budget, $88M, 176% of budget

Paws of Fury: $45M, $42M 93% of budget

Strange World: $180M budget estimated approx. $70M box office, 39% of budget

It was never even debated in my post whether this specific film was a failure or not. It is a failure pure and simple, again no debate about that. So you can get out of here with the "take your victory lap" stuff.

My point was that looking at the overall box office landscape, Disney isn't the only studio having issues trying to get families to come back to the theater with their films. So this isn't just a Disney problem. In a normal year a film like Paws of Fury could have done double what it did because families would have given it a chance. But with changes to the market, ie more people willing to wait for streaming, it didn't even break even just like this movie didn't. As I stated the entire box office is down 35% on the year, that is even with the 3 movies that broke $1B this year.

We'll see how 2023 does, but I based on this year I don't think it'll be much better in terms of the overall box office. And so far predictions still have it at least 27% lower than pre-pandemic levels. So again it may be that the overall box office isn't going to be back to pre-pandemic levels anytime soon if ever.

Also it should be noted that while this film is obviously a failure, Disney overall still managed to pull in over $4B at the box office this year. Still making it the number 1 studio at the box office for the year. Which shows that other studios are still having issues competing with Disney in bringing in the box office overall, even with the two huge failures from WDAS and Pixar.

_caleb

So apparently a $180M budgeted Disney animated tentpole Thanksgiving release is now being compared to studio pick-ups and low rent live action/animated hybrids. The budget for Strange World was nearly the budget of all three of those films combined.

"OK, the major tentpole Thanksgiving Disney release did half the global box office of of Paw Patrol:The Movie and lost over $150M, but, but, but....it also did less than half of the global box/budget ratio of Paws of Fury!!!"

- DC Super-Pets: $90M budget, $204M global box office, 226% of budget

- Lyle, Lyle (hybrid live action/animated film): $50M budget, $88M, 176% of budget

- Paws of Fury: $45M, $42M 93% of budget

- Strange World: $180M budget estimated approx. $70M box office, 39% of budget

Sorry you’re so mad.

Extra credit for two more uses of “tentpole,” though.

Rich T

Also, a super random nitpick that is silly but still bugs me: …

That bugged me too, but not till afterward. I liked the staging and it worked in the moment. Maybe it just has reeeeeally teeny tiny eyes? :D

Like a lot of settings for animated stories, this film’s world-building does not hold up to any kind of scrutiny. How could such a diverse population evolve and thrive in such a relatively small, enclosed area? Also, I found the initial discovery of the endless ocean and the closing shot to be kind of depressing. Is the film’s parting message one of “Leave well enough alone” and “Always Stay home! Exploration bad!” ? And they’re all toast if that thing ever decides to take a dive. It might have worked better if the entire planet had been the organism, but I guess someone in charge really loved the turtle concept.

I still like the movie in the old-timey pulp vibe they tried to reinvent, though.

Last edited:

Basil of Baker Street

Also it should be noted that while this film is obviously a failure, Disney overall still managed to pull in over $4B at the box office this year. Still making it the number 1 studio at the box office for the year. Which shows that other studios are still having issues competing with Disney in bringing in the box office overall, even with the two huge failures from WDAS and Pixar.
I would bet they are spending a lot more than any other studio. I have no idea what those numbers are though.

BuddyThomas

Sorry you’re so mad.

Extra credit for two more uses of “tentpole,” though.
I know, right? It's really something. The sheer determination by a very loud, very small group of people (so small it can barely be called a group) to come on here and continuously crap all over a movie that others have enjoyed and that they have not even seen. I would be amazed by this if the same exact stuff had not been spewed on all sorts of other threads here. At some point, they have to admit to themselves that they don't even like Disney anymore and ask themselves what they are doing on a Disney fan site in the first place.

Phroobar

That bugged me too, but not till afterward. I liked the staging and it worked in the moment. Maybe it just has reeeeeally teeny tiny eyes? :D

Like a lot of settings for animated stories, this film’s world-building does not hold up to any kind of scrutiny. How could such a diverse population evolve and thrive in such a relatively small, enclosed area? Also, I found the initial discovery of the endless ocean and the closing shot to be kind of depressing. Is the film’s parting message one of “Leave well enough alone” and “Always Stay home! Exploration bad!” ? And they’re all toast if that thing ever decides to take a dive. It might have worked better if the entire planet had been the organism, but I guess someone in charge really loved the turtle concept.

I still like the movie in the old-timey pulp vibe they tried to reinvent, though.
My question is where did they get out of the turtle? I assume by the nose? One moment they were at the heart, the next they are outside. I guess I missed the part. Also that is a really big turtle on a small planet. It is like the turtle could swim around the planet in a few minutes. Also the planet is an ocean world. No land masses at all.

Looking a the size of the cities, that valley can't be more than 30 miles across. That would make the shell about 300 miles across. It looks like you could put five turtles across the equator. So the planet's circumference is 3000 miles? I could be wrong.

DisneyHead123

My question is where did they get out of the turtle? I assume by the nose? One moment they were at the heart, the next they are outside. I guess I missed the part. Also that is a really big turtle on a small planet. It is like the turtle could swim around the planet in a few minutes. Also the planet is an ocean world. No land masses at all.

Looking a the size of the cities, that valley can't be more than 30 miles across. That would make the shell about 300 miles across. It looks like you could put five turtles across the equator. So the planet's circumference is 3000 miles? I could be wrong.
Regarding how they got out - I assume the mountains ringed the turtle shell and they found a gap that happened to be near the neck.

Phroobar

I questioned this also, I still have no idea where there would be caves full of falling ice in a body. I thought the nose too but that doesn’t make sense. Maybe the ears?
There must have been a rocky hole on the skin under the shell? It was icee and the large rock pylons and then dark and cloudy until they broke into sunshine near the eye.

DisneyHead123

I questioned this also, I still have no idea where there would be caves full of falling ice in a body. I thought the nose too but that doesn’t make sense. Maybe the ears?

There must have been a rocky hole on the skin under the shell? It was icee and the large rock pylons and then dark and cloudy until they broke into sunshine near the eye.
Yeah I guess a hole in the shell maybe? Or as you said, in the skin by the shell?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom